Need transportation, Miami airport to Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale)

cschultz

We booked a direct flight to Miami arriving around 9am on the morning of our cruise. I thought that SAS could transport us, but they no longer pick up at the Miami airport. Does anyone have any suggestions? There are 2 of us. Carnival can provide the transportation for $30 each, but I wonder how long we would have to wait. Are there any other shuttles or services that do this for a reasonable rate? (Miami airport to Port Everglades - Fort Lauderdale)

There is a free shuttle from airport to the Tried Rail train. http://WWW.tri-rail.com. It takes you to right next to the airport. Taxi from there would be cheap. Train is about $3.00 each. There is also a free shuttle to FLL airport from the train. Taxi in Ft Lauderdale is:954-777-7777 or 954-444-4444.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

If Carnival will shuttle you from MIA to Port Everglades for $30 each I would jump on that -- American Shuttle (based inside MIA) and most of the FLL based shuttles (QLS, MJS, and Go Airport) will charge more. A taxi will cost you $85+ :eek:

The ride takes about 45+ minutes -- Good luck! :)

My daughter has used the train a number of times and it is easy. Charge is $3.75 BUT you have to handle your luggage.

We are going on a 5 day cruise. We should only have 2 carryons or 2 carryons plus 1 bag.

Which stop do we go to, the one for Fort Lauderdale, or Fort Lauderdale airport?

I don't know where the cruise terminal is in relation to the stop.

We are going on a 5 day cruise. We should only have 2 carryons or 2 carryons plus 1 bag.

Which stop do we go to, the one for Fort Lauderdale, or Fort Lauderdale airport?

Use the airport station. Use your cell phone to call a taxi at 954-777-7777. Taxi will cost about $20. Or you can take the free shuttle from Tri-rail to FLL airport and there will be plenty of taxis waiting and the ride will be only about $15. This is definitely the most economical way, and a good choice with little luggage. If your flight comes in very late though, you can't afford the time it takes with all of this so just grab a cab at MIA for about $80.

Edited by royalcruz

Ft. Lauderdale airport stop! What time does your flight get in? Check the schedule on the web site...it does take some time but there won't be any traffic. I would say call for the taxi from the train station. 954 then all 2's, all 4's or all 7's...954-777-7777 easy to remember!

There is a free shuttle from airport to the Tried Rail train. WWW.tri-rail.com. It takes you to right next to the airport. Taxi from there would be cheap. Train is about $3.00 each. There is also a free shuttle to FLL airport from the train. Taxi in Ft Lauderdale is:954-777-7777 or 954-444-4444.

They really don't have time to mess with all that, especially since every step of the journey would be unknown to them. They're flying in the same day as their cruise so their best bet would be the Carnival transfers.

They really don't have time to mess with all that, especially since every step of the journey would be unknown to them. They're flying in the same day as their cruise so their best bet would be the Carnival transfers.

That is the problem...there aren't any!:eek:

There is a free shuttle from airport to the Tried Rail train. WWW.tri-rail.com. It takes you to right next to the airport. Taxi from there would be cheap. Train is about $3.00 each. There is also a free shuttle to FLL airport from the train. Taxi in Ft Lauderdale is:954-777-7777 or 954-444-4444.

NO!!!

You don't have time to take the tri rail. It is slow and complicated.

Do the Carnival transportation for ;$30 a person.

Transportation between FLL and MIA

A friend used SAS Transportation quite a few times when they flew into FLL and cruised from Miami. It's a small company owned by an individual, Steve Sadowsky. He is very reasonable and they have never had a problem. The link is http://www.ridesas.com/html

Great advice for those looking to go between FLL & POM, but the OP is flying into MIA and needs transportation to Port Everglades -- a run that SAS does not make (either a licensing or business decision).

Great advice for those looking to go between FLL & POM, but the OP is flying into MIA and needs transportation to Port Everglades -- a run that SAS does not make (either a licensing or business decision).

The airports do lotteries to allow only a select few transport companies to get the permits.

Our flight arrives at 9:05. We would miss the 9:23 train, and the next one is 10:23. This arrives at FLL airport station at 11:00. Then time to get to the airport. Then get a taxi.

I think that I would be a little insane, as I don't handle stress well.

I think I will try to find out how long the wait will be for the carnival transfer.

If it is too long, I will bite the bullet and get a taxi. Lesson learned.

I won't be flying into Miami again if there aren't any better transportation options.

I have had various quotes on approximate taxi cost.

This flight lands Monday morning at 9:05.

Will traffic be bad then? Or is the morning rush hour over by then?

I found another option in searching online for transportation. I am posting this in case anyone else needs transportation. There is an airport shuttle, Super shuttle, that for the 2 of us would cost $67. No reservations necessary. So if the wait is too long for the Carnival shuttle, we could just go on the Super shuttle. It is cheaper than the taxi option.

Thanks for all your help.

If anyone finds anything better, let me know.

Our flight arrives at 9:05. We would miss the 9:23 train, and the next one is 10:23. This arrives at FLL airport station at 11:00. Then time to get to the airport. Then get a taxi.

I think that I would be a little insane, as I don't handle stress well.

I think I will try to find out how long the wait will be for the carnival transfer.

I won't be flying into Miami again if there aren't any better transportation options.

I have had various quotes on approximate taxi cost.

This flight lands Monday morning at 9:05.

Will traffic be bad then? Or is the morning rush hour over by then?

Yes, traffic is always bad on I95 but you'll be fine.

Just a heads up for anyone, those train schedules are about as reliable as a NYC subway schedule; more of a suggestion than an actuality.

I found another option in searching online for transportation. I am posting this in case anyone else needs transportation. There is an airport shuttle, Super shuttle, that for the 2 of us would cost $67. No reservations necessary. So if the wait is too long for the Carnival shuttle, we could just go on the Super shuttle. It is cheaper than the taxi option.

Thanks for all your help.

If anyone finds anything better, let me know.

Super Shuttle is partnered with American Shuttle, based inside the MIA airport -- $67+tip for two is a good deal. :cool:

Besides the challenges associated with flying into MIA for a PE cruise, please learn that arriving the day your ship sails is not smart -- hopefully no flight delays or cancellations will affect your trip. Good luck! :)

I don't understand this. What difference does it make how long it takes? You're with Carnival as soon as you get off the plane and get to baggage.

Your problem isn't caused by flying into MIA, it's caused by flying in the same day as the cruise.

Edited by Florissouri

I don't understand this. What difference does it make how long it takes? You're with Carnival as soon as you get off the plane and get to baggage.

Your problem isn't caused by flying into MIA, it's caused by flying in the same day as the cruise.

No, my problem is flying into Miami.

I got an offer in the mail for a cruise the same week as I already had time planned off work. I was planning to stay home, but the rate was too good to pass up. We had air miles that expired in December, and the only way we could use them was to fly into Miami. It would not have been a problem if SAS still picked up passengers at the Miami airport. Unfortunately they do not. The problem is lack of CONVENIENT, AFFORDABLE TRANSPORTATION from the Miami airport to port everglades. I have a direct flight, and have plenty of time. I do not want to sit around the airport for 2-3 hours waiting for the Carnival bus to fill up. A taxi would get me to the port in plenty of time, but the cost is more than I wanted to spend. The shuttle that I found is a compromise, a little more than the Carnival transportation, but they said that they operate 24 hrs a day, and would probably be ready to leave within 15 minutes of our contacting them. I am not worried about missing the cruise with the Carnival transportation, I just don't want to wait around the airport for 2-3 hours.

Next time I cruise out of Port Everglades, I will make every effort to fly into FLL.

But if circumstances force me to fly into Miami, at least I know what to do now.

Also, I have flown in the day before on most of my cruises. I have flown in the day of the

cruise when I have an early direct flight like on this cruise. The only time I ever did have a problem was 1 time when I flew in the day before, and the weather was so bad our flight was delayed 7 hours. We did not make it to FLL til 2am, and they gave our room away.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me, and for those of you in the same "boat" so to speak, at least now are aware of what your options are.

• 2 years later...

when we booked three nights in Orlando pre cruise we didn't understand the distance to port everglades . Now we have to arrange transport to port everglades on the day of our cruise , we will have a checked bag each and a carry on , I would appreciate any suggestions of reliable transfer companies .

we don't drive in the USA

when we booked three nights in Orlando pre cruise we didn't understand the distance to port everglades . Now we have to arrange transport to port everglades on the day of our cruise , we will have a checked bag each and a carry on , I would appreciate any suggestions of reliable transfer companies .

we don't drive in the USA

Taxi from MIA to Port Everglades will cost about $80+ on the meter. If you are familiar with Uber they will will make the same run for about $50, unless surge pricing is in effect. The drive will take about 45-60+ minutes

There are a couple of shared shuttles companies - Super Shuttle, American Shuttle, and Go Airport who will make the trip for $30-35+ per person.

Private transportation/car service from Larry's Limos is often suggested on this board. Prices will start close to what a taxi would charge and increase as the size of your limo grows.

If you have the time you could ride the Tri-Rail train to the FLL Tri-Rail station for under $5 each and from there taxi to Port Everglades for about $15. http://www.tri-rail.com/

If any of this helps you owe me a pint - Guinness or Murphy's, I am not picky! :D

Taxi from MIA to Port Everglades will cost about $80+ on the meter. If you are familiar with Uber they will will make the same run for about $50, unless surge pricing is in effect. The drive will take about 45-60+ minutes

There are a couple of shared shuttles companies - Super Shuttle, American Shuttle, and Go Airport who will make the trip for $30-35+ per person.

Private transportation/car service from Larry's Limos is often suggested on this board. Prices will start close to what a taxi would charge and increase as the size of your limo grows.

If you have the time you could ride the Tri-Rail train to the FLL Tri-Rail station for under $5 each and from there taxi to Port Everglades for about $15. http://www.tri-rail.com/

If any of this helps you owe me a pint - Guinness or Murphy's, I am not picky! :D

I would gladly stand you a pint of Murphys as I am from the home of Murphy's but I need to get info from Orlando to port everglades and back to orlando airport ?