Car Hire in Akaroa?

Hi,

Been trying to find info on car hire in Akaroa in New Zealand but can't quite determine if there is a company in Akaroa who hires cars out???

Can anybody advice please??

Thanks in advance.

Akaroa is basically a temporary cruise stop (tendered) since the Christchurch earthquakes and renting a car there is a little more difficult than a normal port situation. Although there are probably a handful of cars available most rentals would go quickly and may not be economical due to the limited time in port. Most people take advantage of the many local and out of town prepaid or private tours available as Akaroa is a very pretty French town that can keep you busy for at least half a day not to mention the many choices of lovely restaurants there.

Just to add to the above.....All the rental car companies are in Christchurch, usually around the International Airport. Akaroa is a good 1 to 1 1/2 hours from Chch, so even if the companies did send cars over there for the one day a cruise ship is in the harbour , the costs would be prohibitive.

Hi I have heard that someone is going to have rental cars available from Akaroa this season. Keep an eye on akaroa.com for info. There are also several tour operators with various sizes of buses & vehicles. The roads are narrow, steep & winding so tours are a good option & cost effective if a little less flexible depending on whether or not you get someone who is happy to do a personalised option.

I can assure you Akaroa is not a temporary stop despite being a tender port. It is likely to be the main Canterbury cruise port for many years. It has received glowing reviews from passengers & the journey over the hill to Christchurch is spectacular for those who don't wish to stay in the Akaroa & Banks Peninsula region.

Have fun.

I can assure you Akaroa is not a temporary stop despite being a tender port. It is likely to be the main Canterbury cruise port for many years. It has received glowing reviews from passengers & the journey over the hill to Christchurch is spectacular for those who don't wish to stay in the Akaroa & Banks Peninsula region.

Have fun.

I certainly hope it does remain the cruise port as we have been there on many occasions and enjoyed it so much it is so fascinating when the cruise ships are in. In January we will have the pleasure of sailing into Akoroa for the first time on Celebrity Solstice.

Edited by suncrab

Thanks for the replies. I agree...Akaroa is a great port. We have been there once before, but we would like to drive to Christchurch and have a look around there. Haven't seen it since the earthquake hit.

• 2 months later...

I have just booked a medium sedan hire car for Akaroa in a couple of weeks time. It is a bit more expensive at $190/day but as we are wanting to travel to visit friends in Ashburton it seemed the best option. We are a family of 4 though so it would have still cost us quite a bit for a tour or transfer anyway. The car will be be ready for us to pickup at the end of the wharf. Hope fully the tender process isn't too drawn out so we can maximise our time. Has anyone had experience with Princess tenders at this port? Only 4 days until I leave on my cruise, can't wait!

The email to contact for car hire booking is andrew@justbookit.co.nz

I have just booked a medium sedan hire car for Akaroa in a couple of weeks time. It is a bit more expensive at $190/day but as we are wanting to travel to visit friends in Ashburton it seemed the best option. We are a family of 4 though so it would have still cost us quite a bit for a tour or transfer anyway. The car will be be ready for us to pickup at the end of the wharf. Hope fully the tender process isn't too drawn out so we can maximise our time. Has anyone had experience with Princess tenders at this port? Only 4 days until I leave on my cruise, can't wait!

The email to contact for car hire booking is andrew@justbookit.co.nz

Hi, we were there a couple of weeks ago on the Dawn Princess. The tender on a Princess ship is quite long here.....about a 30 minute ride. So, if you are not Elite, make sure you get your tender tickets early and get off on one of the first tenders. I would suggest you leave some time at the end of the day to explore Akoroa if you haven't been there before.....it is a lovely place.

A friend of mine on that cruise booked a car through the same company as you are and they said they were excellent.

Have a great trip.