Anything special to bring for 3 year olds?

lillotis

Someone suggested bringing an inflatable ring for pool and shovel for beach. Is this necessary? What else, besides their clothes should we think of bringing? Is it easy to get snacks on the ship? We are going on RCL Oasis. Or should i pack snacks in suitcase for the room.

Anything else you wish you brought or brought and were so thankful. I am bringing an iPad and decided to let my son bring 3 little toys.

Someone suggested bringing an inflatable ring for pool and shovel for beach. Is this necessary? What else, besides their clothes should we think of bringing? Is it easy to get snacks on the ship? We are going on RCL Oasis. Or should i pack snacks in suitcase for the room.

Anything else you wish you brought or brought and were so thankful. I am bringing an iPad and decided to let my son bring 3 little toys.

Packing snacks is probably going to be dependent on how picky of an eater your child is. Food is available everywhere - but if your little one likes specific things, you may be wise to bring a few favorite items with you. When our kids were younger we would bring:

~ Apple juice boxes (to be able to take on excursions)

~ A few prepackaged individual snacks (i.e. granola bars, pretzels, etc.)

~ Coloring books and crayons or an activity pad (only to be brought at dinner to help pass the time - the exact same coloring menu gets old every night)

~ A handful of small toys for the same purpose

~ Water wings

We also always brought a small netted bag of sand toys, although when we forgot them they could always be purchased there. (Just at a premium price! LOL)

There is seldom room in the pool for anything like a ring....waterwings are best if your child needs a bit of extra floatation!

As far as the beach, kids will dig with sticks, shells,....anything they find! You don't HAVE to bring toys!

You may bring any snacks you want, although the ship will have plenty of kid-friendly foods. Snacks for taking INTO ports will need to be pre-packaged.

I would bring a couple favorite books, their blankie or stuffed toy, if they have one. Bring any and all children's medications, as the ship doesn't sell that sort of thing...for stuffy noses, pain/fever stuff, bandaids, etc....if you need diapers, bring them! Same with a stroller!

Aside from those sort of things, clothes are about all you'll need!

I would bring a blow up ball and basic sand toys for the beach - also helps in playing with other kids. We just leave them behind when done.

I bring pre-packaged snacks for ports. Don't need anything for on board the ship.

Also, I always brought a package of take n' toss plastic straw cups. The big glass water goblets in the dining room can be daunting (and we'd also use a couple for sandplay on the beach).

Best,

Mia

I would bring his special toy/stuffed toy/blanket etc. Also if your kid is going through a phase in eating only certain things, you might want to consider that. For example, one cruise my DGS wanted a PB&J sandwich. They ran out of peanut butter on the ship. Believe me we tried to find some. We spend part of our morning in Australia looking for some. On another ship, we ordered a PB&J sandwich. Bread, peanut butter, bread, jam, bread. Think BLT. It was too funny but the kid just wanted his comfort food and wouldn't eat it.

If I were taking a 3 yo I would pack Grandma :p:D;).

Ds2 was 3 on our first cruise. We took nothing special, other than his favourite stuffed animal and bedtime story...and of course his car seat :). We made-do with what we found to amuse ourselves on the ship and in the port.

Ds2 was 3 on our first cruise. We took nothing special' date=' other than his favourite stuffed animal and bedtime story...and of course his car seat :). We made-do with what we found to amuse ourselves on the ship and in the port.[/quote']

agreed. i had all kind of activities, snacks, etc. packed for my toddler. DD (2yo at the time) slept with her doll and didn't touch or eat ANYTHING else we bought onboard. there is enough at the buffet to serve as snacks and the camp provided enough activities (and an activity book) such that all she wanted to do after camp was walk around the ship and sit by the pool people-gazing.

before you know it, it's sleep-time. we kept her on her schedule. plus, if you have an ipad, that is going to be enough because it can replace books, activities, etc.

this time around, i'm packing meds, ipad, clothes, and a small stroller.

The one lesson we learned on our first cruise was to bring our son's suit with us when we board. We boarded early, and most things are closed until 1pm, so we wandered around and tried to kill 2 hours waiting to get into our rooms, while our son grew more and more frustrated. Next time I will bring his suit, and let him go into the pool as soon as we board. :D

My 5 yr old dd has been on 4 cruises. Having a little notepad and crayons, a shovel for the beach and grabbing boxes of Cheerios at the breakfast buffet got us through. Oh and travel packs of wet wipes :). RCL also lends toys out at Adventure Ocean. Go the first day and your child can play with the toy all week or exchange for another. Saves room in the suitcase. Have fun.

I learned a great travel tip from my friends - buy a few cheap little toys at the dollar store or somewhere (cars, little books, tiny pots of playdough or stickers etc) and gift wrap them, once or even more. You save them as rewards for good behavior such as during muster drill. Unwrapping the rewards occupies them for a while, plus the novelty of a new toy goes a long way. You don't usually need to do things like this, but I know my 2 year old occasionally needs the extra stimulation that a "reward" will give to get her through the long quiet moments. Other than that, I normally pack more than I think I need and take portable snacks and juice boxes for days off the ship. On board, remember to stock up on cereal boxes, apples and bananas for snacks at breakfast time, although I have always found that staff will go out of their way to find whatever you need when it comes to children. The only things they can't accommodate are diapers/pull ups, wipes, bottles/formula and kids medicine.

You know your child best so I think the best thing is for you to figure out what your child needs then from there yes a favorite stuffed animal if he sleeps with it. I would consider putting a few new apps on the ipad before the trip also I one year I bought a battery operated candle that changed colors and it only came out at dinner. I also think your own coloring book and crayons is a good idea.

Your idea of the ipad and 3 little toys is probably perfect just throw in a coloring book and you are good to go. And yes add in more then you think you need in diapers/pull-ups, wipes, and basic medications. I also always bring a small first aid kit that comes with us ashore because he will always get distracted and trip

I learned a great travel tip from my friends - buy a few cheap little toys at the dollar store or somewhere (cars, little books, tiny pots of playdough or stickers etc) and gift wrap them, once or even more. You save them as rewards for good behavior such as during muster drill. Unwrapping the rewards occupies them for a while, plus the novelty of a new toy goes a long way. You don't usually need to do things like this, but I know my 2 year old occasionally needs the extra stimulation that a "reward" will give to get her through the long quiet moments. Other than that, I normally pack more than I think I need and take portable snacks and juice boxes for days off the ship. On board, remember to stock up on cereal boxes, apples and bananas for snacks at breakfast time, although I have always found that staff will go out of their way to find whatever you need when it comes to children. The only things they can't accommodate are diapers/pull ups, wipes, bottles/formula and kids medicine.

That is a great idea! Then also if the toys get lost or left behind (or need the space for souvenirs) they are cheap so who cares! My youngest is now 8, but I wish I knew that when he was 3 on our first cruise. I agree with the staff going out of their way too...our room steward was always joking with ours and and doing extra towel animals...the dining staff was always fantastic! They would get them whatever they wanted. My son wanted "green" ice cream (mint chocolate chip) and the only green ice cream they had that night was wasabi. He apologized profusely ....within 20 minutes he had a big bowl if it in front of him! Even though we had different waiters each night they must talk to each other....right after we sat down he had his milk, rolls and butter (his own!) Then pizza within 5 minutes...without us ordering or telling them!

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

Archived