Winterfest Boat Parade

pjrockman

We will be in Fort Lauderdale for a cruise during the Winterfest Boat Parade. Sounds like a big and exciting event. Is it something to attend or avoid? What would be a good restaurant vantage point?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We will be in Fort Lauderdale for a cruise during the Winterfest Boat Parade. Sounds like a big and exciting event. Is it something to attend or avoid? What would be a good restaurant vantage point?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul

It's a don't miss. Really cool.

I can't think of any restaurants, maybe Sharon can chime in.

Thanks, BlueHerons.

Although most of our activities are centered around eating at local restaurants, we can do that before the parade (and after!!). Any suggestions on where to watch would be appreciated.

We have a rental, so that is not an issue.

Thanks again, Paul

http://www.winterfestparade.com/index.php?p=content&categ=118

This website will be selling official viewing tickets by the end of October.

You can make dinner reservations at one of these restaurants to view (they will likely all charge a premium and some will have a prix fixe menu):

Kaluz

Benihana (indoors through window)

Shooters

Flip Flops

Chart House

Vue at Gallery One Doubletree

The parade starts in this area, so I'm not sure if every boat will pass:

Downtowner

Briney

Pirate Republic

There are lots of places to view the parade for free, but I'm not sure which to recommend. If you can get to one of the bridges very early and park, you might find some free space around it. Las Olas Riverfront used to have lots of restaurants but it's mostly empty these days and it might be a good viewing area, though that is where the parade starts so you might miss something.

The bad about the parade: heavy traffic, parking, closed bridges. All of the bridges from Las Olas to Commercial will be up for hours, so you need to get to where you are going before it starts. The website should have the bridge schedule.

Perfect, Sharon and Florissouri.

This is just the type of info that I was hoping to get. I was also worried about the traffic based on what I have read. We are staying at the Westin Beach Resort, so we will probably look for the closest restaurant on your list to watch the parade.

Thanks, so much, for the information. Paul

Perfect, Sharon and Florissouri.

This is just the type of info that I was hoping to get. I was also worried about the traffic based on what I have read. We are staying at the Westin Beach Resort, so we will probably look for the closest restaurant on your list to watch the parade.

Thanks, so much, for the information. Paul

Shooters,Flip Flops, and Chart House are on your side of the bridges so go there if you want to view from a restaurant. Make reservations ASAP as they fill up fast. If you just want to watch for free, see if you can get a spot on or under the Las Olas Blvd bridge. You can walk there from the Westin, and then find a place to eat on the way back to the hotel.

Shooters,Flip Flops, and Chart House are on your side of the bridges so go there if you want to view from a restaurant. Make reservations ASAP as they fill up fast. If you just want to watch for free, see if you can get a spot on or under the Las Olas Blvd bridge. You can walk there from the Westin, and then find a place to eat on the way back to the hotel.

I forgot about Shooters! Love that place.

Thanks a bunch, Sharon.

Both options sound great!

Thanks, Paul

I forgot about Shooters! Love that place.

As I was looking through the suggested restaurants, it appears that Shooters was purchased and closed for refurbishment. Has it reopened yet?

Flip Flops has a finger food buffet for $75 per person and says that the parade passes by at 8:00.

Charthouse usually uses Opentable for reservations, but that search engine says to call the restaurant directly for that day. We've eaten at Charthouses in several other cities, and it is good. Although I prefer to eat 'locally' when we are away.

The best thing may be to walk to the bridge and eat on the way (and on the way back!). That opens up a lot of possibilities.

Thanks, Paul

As I was looking through the suggested restaurants, it appears that Shooters was purchased and closed for refurbishment. Has it reopened yet?

Flip Flops has a finger food buffet for $75 per person and says that the parade passes by at 8:00.

Charthouse usually uses Opentable for reservations, but that search engine says to call the restaurant directly for that day. We've eaten at Charthouses in several other cities, and it is good. Although I prefer to eat 'locally' when we are away.

The best thing may be to walk to the bridge and eat on the way (and on the way back!). That opens up a lot of possibilities.

Thanks, Paul

Yes, Shooters was sold once again. They plan to reopen in December. The boat parade is a big night for them so I'm sure they are trying hard to be open but it would be better to book a different restaurant just in case there is a delay in the reopen. Shooters and Flip Flops are cool places because they are waterfront but they aren't known for gourmet dining. If you are looking more for a great dining experience, Chart House wins in this group. It is also set up so that there are many waterfront tables, and I think they are in tiered rows.

Yes, Shooters was sold once again. They plan to reopen in December. The boat parade is a big night for them so I'm sure they are trying hard to be open but it would be better to book a different restaurant just in case there is a delay in the reopen. Shooters and Flip Flops are cool places because they are waterfront but they aren't known for gourmet dining. If you are looking more for a great dining expeIrience, Chart House wins in this group. It is also set up so that there are many waterfront tables, and I think they are in tiered rows.
\\

I knew Sharon would come through for you!

\\

I knew Sharon would come through for you!

Yes she did. Thank you, Sharon... and BlueHerons and Florissouri, as well.

I think we will try for Chart House reservations and keep walking to the bridge as the back-up plan.

I appreciate it. Paul

Shooters needed a serious makeover and menu revamp. I read somewhere that the Grateful Pallette was taking over their menu. Not sure if it will reopen as Shooters once again or as the Grateful Pallette.

Hopefully Bokamper's Grill will also be open by then, on the north side of the Oakland Park Bridge. The location on the Intracoastal is great. Construction was in full swing at the start of summer, but now it seems to be moving very slowly, or has stalled. Shame they couldn't finish in time for the start of football season.

• 1 month later...

Update....

The new Shooters is still under going renovations as well as The Grateful Palate Events next door. They are pushing for a December opening but yesterday I saw a lot of construction. Not sure if they can pull it off.

The Chart House will have something ... my neighbors are attending a charity event there for $250 pp, but I am not sure what they are offering for the general public

Flip Flops is offering a special buffet menu for $75 pp.

Bokampers will have their grand opening this week and will have reserved seating for the parade and a special menu for $85 pp.