Malaga Spain, travel to ?

cruisemuse13

We are considering a cruise in November 2014 to the Canary Islands, that starts and ends in Malaga Spain. Choice Air does not display flight options online and requires a phone call to sort out arrangements. So I was wondering what route other travelers have used to get to Malaga. Fly to Madrid and take a train? Rent a car?

Thank you for any advice. Oh, and if anyone has been to the Canaries in November what was the weather like?

We are considering a cruise in November 2014 to the Canary Islands, that starts and ends in Malaga Spain. Choice Air does not display flight options online and requires a phone call to sort out arrangements. So I was wondering what route other travelers have used to get to Malaga. Fly to Madrid and take a train? Rent a car?

Thank you for any advice. Oh, and if anyone has been to the Canaries in November what was the weather like?

We took a cruise from Malaga last November. We had no trouble booking flights to Malaga with Choice Air. If I recall we flew Air France, Toronto to Paris, Paris to Malaga.

We only stopped at one port in the Canaries. Weather was good - sunny, warm but not hot.

We took a cruise from Malaga last November. We had no trouble booking flights to Malaga with Choice Air. If I recall we flew Air France, Toronto to Paris, Paris to Malaga.

We only stopped at one port in the Canaries. Weather was good - sunny, warm but not hot.

Same with us. No problem at all with flights.

Weather in the Canaries was lovely, just as 2fromTO wrote. Be sure to take the excursion in Lanzarote that goes to the Timanfaya volcano fields, the Jameos del Agua, and the Mirador del Rio.

Since it's more than a year away, doubt that many flights would be assigned yet.

By December of this year there should be some good options, but you may wish to monitor the price for awhile to get a feel for what might be a reasonable deal.

Certainly on our flight out of Seville patience was appropriate.

That's a fabulous itinerary. You should definitely go! We've been in February and April and the weather both times was pleasant. For November I'd pack the same kind of jacket you'd wear at home for early spring weather. Think layers as the mornings start out cool and then warm up nicely in the sunshine. In Lanzarote and Tenerife you should consider renting a car. CICAR is the biggest outfit and it's dirt cheap to get a car and drive all over. The roads are well-marked and well-maintained and you'll see so much of those beautiful islands! If we weren't already booked for ten nights on the Journey in September, we'd be on that cruise in a heartbeat; that's how wonderful those ports are. I hope you book!

Thank you for your replies. It does seem like I am looking for flights too soon, since other booking sites show flights for the next 12 months but not November 2014. so I looked at flights for September 2014 and sure enough, Air France had several flights requiring only one stop in Paris.

Now if I can just convince DH to book something this far in advance!

We did the Canary Island Cruise the end of Oct last year. We enjoyed the cruise but not in a hurry to do it again. Our biggest mistake was booking a cruise to the Canaries during a UK school holiday. Never seen so many kids on a ship....we were on the Adventure of the Seas. More kids than on the Oasis of the Seas in the summer.

We flew in and out of Madrid and took the train to Malaga. Trains run on time, many airlines don't, especially Iberia. Loved the ICE train. We bought our tickets online and saved a bundle!

The fast train from Madrid to Malaga takes about 2 1/2 hours.

It is a very quick and comfortable journey. From the station in Malaga to the port is a short taxi ride.

Driving between the two cities takes 5/6 hours. Nice fast roads. One highlight is going through Granada which is definitely worth an overnight stop.

We have a second home about 45 minutes drive from Malaga. November and February are usually the worst months weather wise.

If you fly via the UK, there are several budget airlines that fly to Malaga as well as BA.

November and February are usually the worst months weather wise.

Right. Last November, on the day we boarded Quest, Malaga was treated to a monsoon that flooded the city and caused a foot of water in our hotel lobby. We rolled up our cuffs and left the hotel wearing water shoes.

The fast train from Madrid to Malaga takes about 2 1/2 hours.

It is a very quick and comfortable journey. From the station in Malaga to the port is a short taxi ride.

Driving between the two cities takes 5/6 hours. Nice fast roads. One highlight is going through Granada which is definitely worth an overnight stop.

We have a second home about 45 minutes drive from Malaga. November and February are usually the worst months weather wise.

If you fly via the UK, there are several budget airlines that fly to Malaga as well as BA.

I think the OP was referring to the typically warm weather in the Canaries.

Ooh, not too keen on being in a monsoon, but I think November is the only time Azamara is offering this particular itinerary .

And yes English Tim, my original post did ask about weather in the Canaries specifically, but it is also helpful to know what the typical weather in Malaga might be like if we extend our stay there.

thank you all for your replies.

Ooh, not too keen on being in a monsoon, but I think November is the only time Azamara is offering this particular itinerary .

And yes English Tim, my original post did ask about weather in the Canaries specifically, but it is also helpful to know what the typical weather in Malaga might be like if we extend our stay there.

We did three back-to-backs all out of Malaga last November. It was not warm at all, and riding on the open deck of a Hop-on Hop-off bus was not comfortable at all. Of course, this November or next November might be very different.

Thank you for your replies. It does seem like I am looking for flights too soon, since other booking sites show flights for the next 12 months but not November 2014. so I looked at flights for September 2014 and sure enough, Air France had several flights requiring only one stop in Paris.

Now if I can just convince DH to book something this far in advance!

I imagine you should also find British Airways flights since they have taken over Iberia Airways, the formerly Spanish carrier.

That was the combination we flew home from Seville, another rather small airport

Strongly doubt, though, that it would only be one stop.

I wouldn't dream of going to Malaga in November, if looking for warm weather. It could be but is more likely to be cool, albeit warmer than the UK.

Any time we have been to Malaga in November I would describe the daytime weather as pleasant (not too hot and not too cold) - evenings are "autumnal" certainly need a jacket but not your winter woollies. Rain can vary from very wet days to weeks of no rain, same as many places these days.

The latest records for Malaga show for November show a daily average of 16c (61F)

The average of the lowest temperatures each day is 12c (54F) and the average of the highest is 20c (68F)

The average hours of sunshine is 9 hours

On average there are 8 rainy days a month and the monthly rainfall averages 130mm

Should you be thinking about it :rolleyes: the sea temperature averages 21c in November

Hope this helps - as ever one persons cold and wet will be another persons lovely weather

Archived