NCL laundry prices & turn around time

tvguy72

I don't know what to say. We are 0-for-3 regarding the laundry being really clean. The first time (Jewel) it was terrible, the other two times (Sun and Dawn), it was mediocre.

We didn't bother complaining any of those three times, and just accepted it.

But I'm surprised the rest of you are giving such glowing reviews.

Maybe I have the worst laundry luck in the world, though I've seen others here also echo my complaints.

Both of us are Platinum.

In June, on our 14 day Star cruise, we each got two free laundries = 4 bags!!!

Loved it!

Our cabin steward encouraged us to use the perk.

All the clothes came back the day after they were submitted.

Everything was returned pressed, folded, or on hangers. When we got home, I only had to wash the clothes worn the last two days of the trip.

We've always been pleased with the NCL laundry service.

Both of us are Platinum.

In June, on our 14 day Star cruise, we each got two free laundries = 4 bags!!!

Loved it!

Our cabin steward encouraged us to use the perk.

All the clothes came back the day after they were submitted.

Everything was returned pressed, folded, or on hangers. When we got home, I only had to wash the clothes worn the last two days of the trip.

We've always been pleased with the NCL laundry service.

On our 16 day transatlantic on the Star we each got one laundry perk. When I asked the cruise consultant for another since it was more than a two week cruise she reminded me that the perk was one per cruise, not one per week. So you were fortunate.

We have used the laundry on two long cruises on Sun, two cruises on Jewel, and on the Star. We have always had clean clothes, hung unwrinkled on hangers.

We will continue to use the laundry. Maybe on our upcoming 16 day ta we will each get two free laundry bags. That would be awesome. Otherwise I'll pay for an additional one since we have three days post-cruise in Barcelona.

If we don't have the extra voucher and I write Platinum on the bag, I'll be charged for it as I discovered on our last ta.

The per-piece laundry price is pretty steep (see below). Standard laundry is second day service. Premium charge for same day service.

Mid-cruise, there will be a special for a bag for about $25 (discounts for Gold and Platinum Latitudes members).

Per Piece Prices (i.e. not the 1 bag special)

Undergarments $1.95

Socks (pair) $1.95

Pajamas (2 piece) $4.95

Nightgown $4.95

Bathrobe $4.95

Shorts $4.95

Jeans $5.95

Pants/Slacks $5.95

Skirts $5.95

Dress $7.95

T-shirt/Polo Shirt $4.95

Dress/Casual Shirt $5.95

Sweatshirt/Knit Top $4.95

Formal Shirt/Blouse $5.95

Bathing Suit $2.95

Express Service (in by 9 am return same day by 6 pm) 50% premium

Not sure if prices listed are for the original date in this post, leaving in one week, are the bag price of laundry $25? I had read somewhere only 19.99 but not sure, and how big of a bag of laundry ( assume they give a plastic one)from room steward?

Not sure if prices listed are for the original date in this post, leaving in one week, are the bag price of laundry $25? I had read somewhere only 19.99 but not sure, and how big of a bag of laundry ( assume they give a plastic one)from room steward?

Another happy customer multiple times-- ours came out very clean and fresh

The steward will leave it in the room the night before.

The bag is paper not plastic and will rip if you over stuff it and it is not overly large.

We have found that if you roll the items tightly you can still fit quite a lot in the bag.

Another happy customer multiple times-- ours came out very clean and fresh

The steward will leave it in the room the night before.

The bag is paper not plastic and will rip if you over stuff it and it is not overly large.

We have found that if you roll the items tightly you can still fit quite a lot in the bag.

Thanks much for the headsup. I will go with that price list and definitely roll stuff up to fit.

I rely on the laundry a lot and always get a perfect finish. With the technology and strict requirements on hygiene I would expect nothing else! if anything I find my clothes last significantly shorter with the obviously higher temps and industrial machines used rather than my 15oC domestic cycle at home.

• 9 months later...
I don't know what to say. We are 0-for-3 regarding the laundry being really clean. The first time (Jewel) it was terrible, the other two times (Sun and Dawn), it was mediocre.

We didn't bother complaining any of those three times, and just accepted it.

But I'm surprised the rest of you are giving such glowing reviews.

Maybe I have the worst laundry luck in the world, though I've seen others here also echo my complaints.

Pokerpro5: Something I'm noticing in this thread is people mentioning stuffing their bag to the gills and getting as much in them as possible. But if the one poster is correct in saying that they basically throw your stuffed bag into the laundry machine and it gets washed "as is," then of course none of the clothes would come out clean.

The other question I have is what kind of detergent do YOU use? I once stayed with a friend and they were generous enough to throw my clothes in the washer. When they came out of the dryer and I was folding them, I noticed they smelled pretty bad. Thinking it was their washer or something else, I investigated. What I found was that certain brands of laundry detergent will react poorly (or make them ineffective) with other brands. It took about 4 washes to finally make their soap "wash" my clothes. And then when I came back home, I had the same problem in reverse.

All that to say, I wonder if maybe you use one of those brands that just counteracts the soap NCL uses.

Finally... someone asked and it didn't get answered. For the special, do you get one bag per cabin at the special rate or one bag per person in the room?

Every article of clothing is tagged. Your laundry always comes back clean, folded nicely or on hangers (depending on the article), and pretty much wrinkle free. We only use the "stuffed bag" special. The quality of your laundry experience will be at least as good as you get at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You are replying to a post that is almost a YEAR old!!

NMLady: I aware of that. I can read the dates and know how message boards work. This thread actually spans a few year, but the questions I'm asking are still relevant.

And while I appreciate wdsted's response, I was hoping to hear back from the person I quoted. The information you (wdsted) provided is virtually the same as what the majority of the others have said.

Here's the deal... I have bad luck. If it can happen, it will. That's what my friends say. So if I ask someone who had 3 negative experiences about their experience, then maybe I can avoid that same pitfall.

Your clothes are removed from the bag. Tags are glued to each item. The items are sorted by handling instructions. Items that can stay together (socks, undergarments) are often put together into a large mesh back (industrial size of what you would use at home).

Since we're platinum, we get two free bags of laundry and have never had any issues with the work the ship's crew does.

We were on a Platinum Behind the Scenes tour in April and got distracted trying to find our laundry while the Laundry Supervisor was demonstrating one of the steam presses.

laundry2.jpg

NMLady: I aware of that. I can read the dates and know how message boards work. This thread actually spans a few year, but the questions I'm asking are still relevant.

And while I appreciate wdsted's response, I was hoping to hear back from the person I quoted. The information you (wdsted) provided is virtually the same as what the majority of the others have said.

Here's the deal... I have bad luck. If it can happen, it will. That's what my friends say. So if I ask someone who had 3 negative experiences about their experience, then maybe I can avoid that same pitfall.

You obviously want to hear that your cruise will be ruined by submitting your dirty clothes to an Armageddon of foul, nasty proportions. Geez, it's just a bag of laundry.

We have had these done, stuffed full but not paying the special bag rates - I don't believe the crews in Laundry differentiate whether ours were complimentary Platinum ones & toss it into a different commercial washer and/or use a different detergent.

As others noted, they are tagged, sorted & kept together, returned to us neat & looking clean, fresh enough to wear again and/or to put away for packing purposes. Not everyone cared for the smelling fresh type of fabric softener, etc. Delicate items don't go out to ship laundry as they go the Woolite "dept" under our control.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150328_1108.jpg

1d63bd574795f6473bce996c78f4ee90.jpg

As for some of the not-so-secret tips on stuffing it without bursting the paper bag ... key is using a plastic bag or pillow case (from RS) as liner inside, shared previously :p

Edited by mking8288

When the person you quoted posted that almost a year ago, why would you expect them to come back to the thread a year later??

I have read conflicting reports about NCL's laundry bag process...some say the clothing is only washed and folded ...no ironing...... also others have commented that if you want your clothing ironed you have to pay for individual pieces.

Could you please clarify....will laundry sent out by-the-bag come back ironed exactly like it would on the pay by piece way?

thanks, we will be cruising for 15 days on the Pearl and will need to have laundry done.

We use this service all the time since we get it for free because of our latitude status. Clothes are washed and folded. There is no ironing done.

We use this service all the time since we get it for free because of our latitude status. Clothes are washed and folded. There is no ironing done.

Even though not ironed I think the shirts/blouses go through some kind of pressing machine since they come back with no wrinkles, looking pressed.

And ours have always been on hangers, even hubby's white V-neck under teeshirts.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be doing a back to back on the NCL Getaway in December. I know that on some cruise lines I have seen an offer of a discount for doing a bag of laundry in the later part of the cruise. Does NCL do this for the general cruisers? I am not gold yet and was hoping to not have to pay full prices to get my items washed. Trying to not bring much as I am flying. I know I can wash in my room sink, but was trying to not have to do everything this way. I know they do not have a laundromat on board. I am a bit spoiled as I am Elite on Princess so get all my laundry free.

Thanks,

Penny

I will be doing a back to back on the NCL Getaway in December. I know that on some cruise lines I have seen an offer of a discount for doing a bag of laundry in the later part of the cruise. Does NCL do this for the general cruisers? I am not gold yet and was hoping to not have to pay full prices to get my items washed. Trying to not bring much as I am flying. I know I can wash in my room sink, but was trying to not have to do everything this way. I know they do not have a laundromat on board. I am a bit spoiled as I am Elite on Princess so get all my laundry free.

Thanks,

Penny

The only 'discount' is the Bag special and it is offered for everyone partway through the. Cruise.

Thanks,

Penny

Penny

There will be a $19.95 fill-a-bag offer on each half of your B2B. It is two day service (pick up Wednesday - return Friday).

• 5 weeks later...

I am asking probably the same questions. I am going on a 14 day cruise in December, do u think they will have 2 specials for laundry or one special.

Reading everything on here, I wonder if u can send a bag by weight or items.

I will send out no matter what I just need to know if I can keep it under 100.00 lol.

I got back from a 7-day Glacier Bay cruise before Labor Day (2016) and was given the option of a bag of laundry for just under $20 (I think it was $19.95). The deal was you turned it in the morning on Wednesday and it would be returned on Friday evening by 6 PM.

Our cabin steward was AMAZING. We gave him the bag of laundry Tuesday night and he had it back Wednesday evening! No extra charge.

Note that we STUFFED that bag full. It's a paper bag, so we even had to tape it back together in spots...

You do need to tally up what you put in the bag, and they will glue (if that's the right word) little tags in your collars and waistbands. They do that to everything but underwear and socks. They just do one of those and probably put them in a bag together to get washed.

Clothes smelled clean and fresh, and whites were pretty white, too!

All in all, I was very impressed.

Our cruise was a Sunday to Sunday cruise, and the offer was in our Dailies on Tuesday, so the 3rd day of sailing. It's a little early to turn in stuff and possibly not get back till Friday, but we quickly realized we'd be out of clothes if we didn't.