Suggestions for at the pier

vent1020

I love these boards and everyone was super helpful with my post of "MUST HAVE foods on Princess." Now I have another question or two or three.

We fly into L.A. next month for our 4 day Coastal. Our flight arrives in L.A. at 8:20 AM. I would think by the time we get the luggage and take the shuttle to the pier it will be around 10:00 (give or take some).

So, my question is......

1) Is there anything to do at the pier to pass the time until we can board?

2) How early can you board the ship(we are not elite members)?

3) How early do you want to get in line?

Anything else you can think of when it comes to boarding, the area of the pier and the shuttle service(through Princess) that a newbie may not know about and would be helpful, I'd appreciate it. You know, something you wish someone would have told you about the first time you sailed out of San Pedro(I think that is where I read the pier is) or sailed on Princess.

Thanks. :)

While this isn't specific to San Pedro and would apply to any port you're sailing from, just take it easy, don't let the small things annoy you, (the ship sinking is the major thing, everything else are small things) and just go with the flow.

We fly into L.A. next month for our 4 day Coastal. Our flight arrives in L.A. at 8:20 AM. I would think by the time we get the luggage and take the shuttle to the pier it will be around 10:00 (give or take some).

You didn't say what day you arrive but LAX it is a large airport. By the time you get off the plane, walk to baggage pickup, your baggage actually arrives, you walk out and get the shuttle... you've already spent about an hour. You didn't say if it is Princess shuttle or private. If private you'll head to the pier. Boarding usually begins around 11:30 and you can go right to your cabin. If it's a Princess transfer you will wait until the shuttle fills up then head for either the pier or a hotel to wait for later boarding.

Although it is only around 22 miles from point A to B there is a lot to consider. The 405 is the busiest freeway in the world. Last month it took me 45 minutes to go 3 miles. Never did find out what the problem was because it wasn't an accident :eek:. If traffic is flowing it should only take around half an hour but if there is an accident or construction it's going to take a lot longer. I live 35 miles from LAX and always allow an hour or more (depending on both the day and the time of day).

Last time I was there, there was nothing to do but sit and wait.

You didn't say what day you arrive but LAX it is a large airport. By the time you get off the plane, walk to baggage pickup, your baggage actually arrives, you walk out and get the shuttle... you've already spent about an hour. You didn't say if it is Princess shuttle or private. If private you'll head to the pier. Boarding usually begins around 11:30 and you can go right to your cabin. If it's a Princess transfer you will wait until the shuttle fills up then head for either the pier or a hotel to wait for later boarding.

Although it is only around 22 miles from point A to B there is a lot to consider. The 405 is the busiest freeway in the world. Last month it took me 45 minutes to go 3 miles. Never did find out what the problem was because it wasn't an accident :eek:. If traffic is flowing it should only take around half an hour but if there is an accident or construction it's going to take a lot longer. I live 35 miles from LAX and always allow an hour or more (depending on both the day and the time of day).

Last time I was there, there was nothing to do but sit and wait.

This is on a Thursday and it is a Princess Shuttle. Sounds like there may not be much waiting at the pier if it takes that long to get there.

I love these boards and everyone was super helpful with my post of "MUST HAVE foods on Princess." Now I have another question or two or three.

So, my question is......

Anything else you can think of when it comes to boarding, the area of the pier and the shuttle service(through Princess) that a newbie may not know about and would be helpful, I'd appreciate it. You know, something you wish someone would have told you about the first time you sailed out of San Pedro(I think that is where I read the pier is) or sailed on Princess.

1. If you are taking the Princess shuttle then they will get you to the pier at the proper time for check in. I would say your wait may be at the airport waiting for the bus to arrive from the pier to drop off disembarking passengers. They may even delay airport bus departure to get you there at a specific time (their time). If you take "Super Shuttle" or one of the other group shuttle services or a private taxi service you most likely be there around 10AM. Nothing to do but wait.

2. Assuming you get to the pier around 10 or so you will probably be able to check in around 11:00am and will be sent to a waiting area. Boarding will begin around noon with priority boarders, then general boarding. You should be on the ship and in your cabin by 12:30.

3. Answered by 1 and 2.

So, my question is......

I have flown into LAX to catch a Princess cruise on 3 occasions. We arrived at LAX at 8:30 a.m. each time. We took the Princess transfer each time. Twice we were taken to a hotel where we got checked in for the cruise and waited for a couple of hours before being taken to the ship where we went through security and straight aboard ship. The other time the Princess bus took us directly to the ship where we checked in and sat and waited for an hour or better before boarding started.

I agree with the other poster that you might enjoy giving your bags to the porters and walking to see the battleship nearby.

One time we used the Princess shuttle from LAX and never again. We were picked up at the airport and taken to an airport hotel where we sat for three hours.

Since that incident we always use either Primetime or Super Shuttle from LAX to San Pedro.

Archived