Pools in the H2O Zone

Cuizer2

I commented on this in my Allure review - here is a link, but it is a very long review - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1928555

What caught my attention was the drowning of a six year old boy on the Carnival Victory.

Typically the pools are about 4' 1" to 4' 9" deep. The kid's pool in the H2O Zone on the Allure is 3' 5" deep (a good depth for a kids pool).

HOWEVER, the kid's pool on the Freedom (and I assume on the Liberty and Independence) in the H2O Zone is 5' 7" deep. Look in the upper left of the pictures below of the kids pool in the H2O Zone on the Freedom of the Seas ...

IMGP0235.jpg

IMGP0259.jpg

That is much too deep for a pool that is located in an area designed to attract young children.

I hope, given the recent tragedy in the Carnival Victory pool, I hope that Royal Caribbean will spend the money necessary to reduce the depth of the pools in the H2O Zone on these three ships by two feet (to something closer to 3' 5" as they are on the Allure).

[url=http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1928555][/url]

Edited by Cuizer2

It's a very tragic situation, what happened on the Carnival ship.

I agree, I did think the pool in the H2O Zone on Indy was too deep. Especially since there's not much separation between wading depth water and a sudden drop off - plus slipperiness. Definitely need to keep a very close eye on your little ones around there (or anywhere in the pool area). I saw one young girl climb up to the hot tub and slip in before the parents even noticed. Even though it's vacation, parents definitely need to be on high alert around the pools. I didn't take my eyes off my little one around the pool and followed her around to make sure she was always nearby and visible.

Edited by Canadian Tyler

Though I may agree for a childrens area that may be to deep but I dont think the ships should change anything. Let me makes something clear I am not blaming anyone just stating a point. It's up to the parents to watch their children it only takes seconds for something like this to happen. If anything I would rather see the ships changing it so that one pool is kids only and the other is adults only that way there will be more people paying attention to the childrens area. But I do think they should have to change anything.

Though I may agree for a childrens area that may be to deep but I dont think the ships should change anything. Let me makes something clear I am not blaming anyone just stating a point. It's up to the parents to watch their children it only takes seconds for something like this to happen. If anything I would rather see the ships changing it so that one pool is kids only and the other is adults only that way there will be more people paying attention to the childrens area. But I do think they should have to change anything.

I concur. It is the responsibility of the parent to watch their children. When I was a kid, my mother knew exactly where I was at all times, and always watched out for what I was doing. We went swimming all summer long in shallow and deep pools, but my mom knew exactly where I was at all times. Nowadays parents have their faces buried into the phones/tablets/etc. and are not focused on what should be their one main concern, their kids.

Edited by reedl

I concur also. There are no lifeguards on the ships and too often the parents are busy conversing with friends rather than keeping their eyes on the little ones. It is a parents responsibility to pay attention to their own children on the ship and I hope those who don't get the message.

We were trying to watch a movie at night on Enchantment. The pool was in front of us and full of screaming kids. Very dark so a dangerous situation. We could not hear the movie sound due to the noise. I did wonder who was watching them as hard to see at night.

I m not saying you are blaming the parents, but it is a very unrealistic expectation that a parent can be vigilant every second of the day.even your post says it only takes a second.

I'm sure if we all look back on growing up or raising our own children we see how fragile and lucky we are.

While I agree it is the parents responsibility to watch their children I also feel the cruise lines can do more:

1) not have a 5'7 pool.

2) provide life jackets around the pool

3) have life guards....most family resorts like Disney have many lifeguards

4) limit pool capacity... The cruise lines love getting 5,000 people on a ship, but does the infrastructure support this many around a pool? On ship days you could walk across a pool on everyone's head from one end to the other.

These improvements would add to the safety of the children.

As a 5 foot 2 non-swimmer myself and two young kids along, I was a ball of nerves in the H2O zone our last Indy cruise. We were chasing them through the splash pad part of the zone but I couldn't believe or understand why they would have such a deep pool not sectioned somehow (I think it was the sports pool). I was paranoid one of the kids would run in and i would be useless to go in after them. I don't think they need to change the depth but it would help to section it off somehow from the splash pad area.

I read that in your review and I was going to mention it in mine as well. I am also a 5'2" non swimmer. All the adult pools are 4'9" except the solarium. I cant stand in water that it up to my forehead. If you look at peoples pics of the pools, a lot of them show people just clinging to the sides of the pools or sitting with legs dangling in. I think people would enjoy the pools much more if they were chest deep like at a hotel. I had high hopes for the Allures beach pool because I thought it sloped, didnt realize it goes from 2 inches to 4'9". I went in the Solarium pool once and it was packed. I would love to be able to enjoy a pool on a cruise. :(

Rance you said "but it is a very unrealistic expectation that a parent can be vigilant every second of the day"

I do not agree. As a parent that is YOUR job. If you dont want that job then leave the kids at home so you can enjoy the vacation. It's not the cruise lines job, it's not fellow passengers job, it's YOURS. If you dont want your eyes on your children 24/7 then again leave them home. In no way should the cruiseline have to provide all of that.

You can drown in an inch of water! I agree kid's pool shouldn't be deep....they should simply be for splashing, etc....but, a child could just as easily drown in a 3 foot deep pool as they can in a 12 ft. deep pool!

The thing with drowning is it's silent. Folks don't thrash and yell...it's a very quiet thing.

Rance you said "but it is a very unrealistic expectation that a parent can be vigilant every second of the day"

I do not agree. As a parent that is YOUR job. If you dont want that job then leave the kids at home so you can enjoy the vacation. It's not the cruise lines job, it's not fellow passengers job, it's YOURS. If you dont want your eyes on your children 24/7 then again leave them home. In no way should the cruiseline have to provide all of that.

Nobody can be vigilant 24/7. One can be distracted by sudden noises, a question being asked, someone yelling look at that, the need to go to the bathroom, sleeping ... (the list is endless).

I'm trying to avoid the debate regarding corporate responsibility verse individual responsibility. A 3 1/2 foot deep pool (as on the Allure) is safer than a 5 1/2 deep pool (as on the Freedom of the Seas) for young kids. That is my point.

Please, if you want to debate whether the cruise lines should provide lifeguards, there is a thread on the Carnival board for that.

My heart breaks for this poor family who lost their son. I have 2 boys and I can't even imagine what they are going through.

How about rather than changing pool depths and/or relying on life vests, parents give their young kids swim lessons. I started taking my boys for lessons at a very young age and they are excellent swimmers. They've been swimming in the ocean since they were about 2-3 years old (they're 13 months apart). It is so vitally important for people of all ages to know how to swim. Not only for cruise vacations but for any aspects in life. You just never know..

What about ships without h20 zones? Those kids are in the regular pools, are we going to make those 3.5ft deep too? H2o zones are only on 5 ships I think, and I think the h2o zones are big enough with enough areas that kids that cant swim have a other places to play.

If your kids cant swim they shouldn't be in the pools by themselves anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Why should a ships pool be any different than any other pool? Parents need to watch and know what the kids are doing 24/7. If they did they would be better, happier and feel loved. You are the parent. You can't let your children go to the pool while you go to the bar. Your kids are your responsibility not the ships. I know some people will disagree and flame. That's ok if this keeps one child safe go ahead and yell.

What about ships without h20 zones? Those kids are in the regular pools, are we going to make those 3.5ft deep too? H2o zones are only on 5 ships I think, and I think the h2o zones are big enough with enough areas that kids that cant swim have a other places to play.

If your kids cant swim they shouldn't be in the pools by themselves anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

My suggestion is clearly limited to the pool in the H2O Zone on three ships. I made no suggestion about any other pools.

Why should a ships pool be any different than any other pool? Parents need to watch and know what the kids are doing 24/7. If they did they would be better, happier and feel loved. You are the parent. You can't let your children go to the pool while you go to the bar. Your kids are your responsibility not the ships. I know some people will disagree and flame. That's ok if this keeps one child safe go ahead and yell.

As I said, I am not interested in the debate regarding corporate responsibility vs. individual responsibility. If you feel the need to express your opinion on that subject, there are thread on the Carnival forum that would love to hear from you.

All I am suggesting is that during dry dock, Royal Caribbean should made the three pools in the H2O Zone of the Freedom class ships safer.

• 9 months later...

I completely agree with all users on this thread. Five and half feet is much too deep for a kids' pool, I honesty don't know what RCI was thinking when they had this pool put in on Freedom. I have not been on Freedom of the Seas but I have seen many pictures and I was quite shocked when I saw the "kiddie" pool, at first I questioned whether or not I was reading the depth marker right. It is deeper than the main pool, which is 5' 4" at its deepest point. But as they say, you learn from mistakes, and it is evident that RCI did just that by improving it on the Oasis and Allure. It would be very costly to reduce the depth on Freedom at this point. I just think that it is sort of dangerous and like others have mentioned, there have been many cruise ship pool deaths lately and considering that RCI does not employ lifeguards, this is definitely an area where parents should keep a close eye on their children at all times.

I read that in your review and I was going to mention it in mine as well. I am also a 5'2" non swimmer. All the adult pools are 4'9" except the solarium. I cant stand in water that it up to my forehead. If you look at peoples pics of the pools, a lot of them show people just clinging to the sides of the pools or sitting with legs dangling in. I think people would enjoy the pools much more if they were chest deep like at a hotel. I had high hopes for the Allures beach pool because I thought it sloped, didnt realize it goes from 2 inches to 4'9". I went in the Solarium pool once and it was packed. I would love to be able to enjoy a pool on a cruise. :(

Maureencruiser,

You're talking about the Oasis class ships right? All of the main pools on those ships are 4' 9" at the DEEPEST point. If you look at the signs, they are plenty shallow at the opposite end. The other end of the beach pool is 4' 5" which can easily be touched flat footed by somebody who is 5' 2". So actually, you can enjoy the pool! P.s. The main pool goes even shallower, to 4' 1" to provide for a comfortable swim.

I m not saying you are blaming the parents, but it is a very unrealistic expectation that a parent can be vigilant every second of the day.even your post says it only takes a second.

I'm sure if we all look back on growing up or raising our own children we see how fragile and lucky we are.

While I agree it is the parents responsibility to watch their children I also feel the cruise lines can do more:

1) not have a 5'7 pool.

2) provide life jackets around the pool

3) have life guards....most family resorts like Disney have many lifeguards

4) limit pool capacity... The cruise lines love getting 5,000 people on a ship, but does the infrastructure support this many around a pool? On ship days you could walk across a pool on everyone's head from one end to the other.

These improvements would add to the safety of the children.

I agree, cruise lines are really targeting young families, and therefore should provide adequate and safe pool facilities for a younger set... 5 ft 7inches is entirely too deep. Even for a vigilant parent...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The pools on the Freedom class ships took us completely by surprise. That was clearly a design flaw on RCI's part...what the heck were they thinking putting such a deep pool in that area????

I agree, cruise lines are really targeting young families, and therefore should provide adequate and safe pool facilities for a younger set... 5 ft 7inches is entirely too deep. Even for a vigilant parent...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I 100% agree. Parents come on the ship for vacation and should not be vigilant every second. I think that with the amount of money RCCL makes, it would be a safe option to employ lifeguards in areas such as this. And while parents are on vacation, it is their job to watch their kids but as mentioned, that can not be done continuously on their vacation. That being said, I think that a lifeguard on duty would make for a relaxing and stress-free environment for parents. Again, it is clear that this is a problem RCI realized after launching Freedom and fixed it on their next ship class. But yes, I do agree that they didn't make the best decision in the first place by putting a 5.5-foot pool in a children's waterpark.

I 100% agree. Parents come on the ship for vacation and should not be vigilant every second. I think that with the amount of money RCCL makes, it would be a safe option to employ lifeguards in areas such as this. And while parents are on vacation, it is their job to watch their kids but as mentioned, that can not be done continuously on their vacation. That being said, I think that a lifeguard on duty would make for a relaxing and stress-free environment for parents. Again, it is clear that this is a problem RCI realized after launching Freedom and fixed it on their next ship class. But yes, I do agree that they didn't make the best decision in the first place by putting a 5.5-foot pool in a children's waterpark.

If parents want to take a vacation from parenting, they should leave the kids at home. A lifeguard could never see a small child in a crowded pool slip quietly underwater - the parent needs to be IN the pool with the child, not sitting on a nearby lounger reading a book and having a drink.

If parents want to take a vacation from parenting, they should leave the kids at home. A lifeguard could never see a small child in a crowded pool slip quietly underwater - the parent needs to be IN the pool with the child, not sitting on a nearby lounger reading a book and having a drink.

True. Children come first.