Travel Shampoo: Don't buy Suave Keratin Infusion!

jaded99

So, I was shopping last night for "trial-size" stuff to pack for our upcoming cruise since we're flying to port. I went to Target and they had bins full of "Suave Keratin Infusion" shampoo and conditioner in trial sizes... I figured, hey, it was $1 each and I like to try new beauty products, so I bought them and already packed them.

Today I'm on a blog I follow and I see a huge story that I apparently missed about Suave Keratin Infusion products being recalled and a class-action lawsuit because they MELT your hair! Apparently they contain formaldehyde.

So, just because I know these products are currently for sale in travel sections at Target stores, I figured I'd post a warning for any other cruisers thiking about giving them a try for their next trip! Definitely going to go look for something else tonight.

The product that was causing concern was "Suave Infusion 30 day keratin infusion kit" that was causing issues and has been discontinued. The shampoo and conditioners have no formaldahyde and I wouldn't bother spending a dollar per travel bottle since you can buy a full size bottle for less than $3 and just leave it behind when you are done.

The product that was causing concern was "Suave Infusion 30 day keratin infusion kit" that was causing issues and has been discontinued. The shampoo and conditioners have no formaldahyde and I wouldn't bother spending a dollar per travel bottle since you can buy a full size bottle for less than $3 and just leave it behind when you are done.

Yeah, I saw that the lawsuit is about the 30-day kit, but when I looked at reviews on makeupalley and amazon, an alarmingly high percentage of them were saying the shampoo and conditioner alone had made their hair fall out in clumps, so it doesn't seem worth chancing it to me... The reason I was looking for travel size is for the airplane.

My daughters and I just used an entire bottle of the shampoo and conditioner in question and had no ill effects to our hair. In fact, my hair was amazingly shiny and silky using this bargain shampoo. I will buy it again, but had I read this before trying it, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Yeah, I saw that the lawsuit is about the 30-day kit, but when I looked at reviews on makeupalley and amazon, an alarmingly high percentage of them were saying the shampoo and conditioner alone had made their hair fall out in clumps, so it doesn't seem worth chancing it to me... The reason I was looking for travel size is for the airplane.
So you are doing carry on only for your cruise? You are only restricted to the 3-1-1 rules for carry on liquids.

If it makes you nervous don't buy it. I am not a fan of Suave products in general, so I wouldn't buy it anyway nor would I try new products on vacation.

I don't mess around with guess work for any of my toiletries. I purchased refillable bottles several years ago and just take what I know will work from home.

Same here. Sometimes they have travel sizes of the products I use though so I'll buy those (and then keep refililng them). Since I use more expensive products (when I actually have hair) I'm not going to trade out and $25-30 bottle for a $3 one on vacation.

There is a class action lawsuit regarding this product. Woman are using it and it is burning their scalps and causing their hair to fall out. This isn't the shampoo, but the Keratin Hair Straightening Kit.

Now my sister is a hairdresser and owns her own shop. We discussed this yesterday. A keratin treatment is a long expensive treatment. It is chemical straightening.....it should ONLY be done by a professional...and not on permed or color treated hair. That being said.....they did say on GMA that there were women in the lawsuit with hair that HAD NOT been permed or color treated and it still caused their hair to fall out.

The product contained formaldehyde even though Suave said it didn't.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived