Snorkeling Grand Cayman or Cozumel

mrsgilomonster

I agree with the suggestion of snorkeling from the shore at the Money Bar in Coz! :cool:

In GC we have twice done the snorkel and stingray city tour with Moby Dick - great snorkeling on the reef, smaller boat, not crowded, great service, and lots of fun with the stingrays.:D

Good luck! :)

A couple,of weeks ago we snorkeled at both Cozumel and in the caymans. In Cozumel we just DIY and went to the Money bar and hung out. For the Caymans we went with Kevin and Ecotours for snorkeling and Stingray City.

Honestly, if you have to choose only one to snorkel, the Caymans were much better!

Grand Cayman! We've found that the reefs that are easily accessible in Cozumel are terribly beat up and over-used. If you took a tour to the East side of the island where the reef is out farther (many dives go here) it's absolutely gorgeous, but most snorkelers hit the west side of the island and it's just not that good there anymore. Not like it used to be.

Grand Cayman has a few places like that as well, but most are still pretty pristine and gorgeous. We've also found the water at Grand Cayman to be clearer than in Cozumel.

Cozumel: The Money Bar, we will be there again Nov 5th. In Grand Cayman, we like Cemetery Beach. There are no services, we bring drinks and equipment. The photo ops of the cemetery is worth the $5 each cab ride one way. You can walk through the cemetery or there is a path next to it to get to the beach. The snorkeling is very good, tons of fish. Don't forget to bring a couple boxes of fruit loops from ship. The fish love them. There are trees for shade and you can see the ship from the beach. HELL is a few miles down the road. We have been to Hell and back, more than once. On the way back, stop at Burger King. There is good snorkeling right in front of the restaurant. My wife drank a soda, out side seating ,while I snorkeled. Then walk back to ship. All for less than $25 total.:)

Cozumel: The Money Bar, we will be there again Nov 5th. In Grand Cayman, we like Cemetery Beach. There are no services, we bring drinks and equipment. The photo ops of the cemetery is worth the $5 each cab ride one way. You can walk through the cemetery or there is a path next to it to get to the beach. The snorkeling is very good, tons of fish. Don't forget to bring a couple boxes of fruit loops from ship. The fish love them. There are trees for shade and you can see the ship from the beach. HELL is a few miles down the road. We have been to Hell and back, more than once. On the way back, stop at Burger King. There is good snorkeling right in front of the restaurant. My wife drank a soda, out side seating ,while I snorkeled. Then walk back to ship. All for less than $25 total.:)

Just a comment about bringing cereal for the fish. I had brought some Cheerios to do the same. Our captain with Ecotours said under NO circumstances should we do this. It does attract the fish but they are not used to it and it can potentially kill them. Please help protect the fish and reefs you want to see.

Archived