Explorer questions

Hi we are booked on the Exp leaving Cape Liberty in Feb. I am wondering if the Solarium pool will be open and if the roof will be closed. Also any experts on tips for leaving in Feb? Also whats up with Port Canaveral stop? I really dislike Port Canaveral wish they would do Fort Lauderdale instead. Is there anything fun to do there? I have no interest in the space shuttle

Hi, we just sailed Explorer a few weeks ago, she does not have a covered Solarium, the pool was empty on emarkation day but was open the next day, it was heated for part of the trip and was quite warm, the hot tubs in the solarium were open on emarkation and always a very nice temperature. We've only ever boarded a cruise in Port Canaveral, apart from the space centre there is Merritt Island nature habitat, Cocoa beach (can't remember the distance to that), or you could go and see 'the mouse' but it depends on how long the ship is docked there.

The solarium is not covered but it is very nice after the first day. If you want something fun and exciting to do in FL do the airboat alligator tour. We had an awesome time and saw many alligators. It was one of the best excursions we have done in a long time.

You can book a shuttle transport through Royal Caribbean for either Disneyworld or Universal Studios for the Port Canaveral stop. It's about $35 a person. We're to see Harry Potter at Universal looking forward to it. It will be a short visit but, we want to get some Butter Beer and see Hogwarts.

Jonathan

I'm Harry Potter-challenged....what is butter beer???

It's a fictional non-alcoholic drink mentioned in the novels. Well, I guess it's not fictional any more since you can have it at Universal.;)

You can book a shuttle transport through Royal Caribbean for either Disneyworld or Universal Studios for the Port Canaveral stop. It's about $35 a person. We're to see Harry Potter at Universal looking forward to it. It will be a short visit but, we want to get some Butter Beer and see Hogwarts.

Jonathan

Are we a little off topic? Let's start a new thread as not to sabotage the OP's question.

Port Canaveral in February can be tricky. The ship arrives late and it gets dark early. Check the opening times on the theme parks. For our cruise Disney was open until 9 pm and Universal until 7 pm, so there wasn't a lot of time for Universal considering the admission price.

Some of us rented a car and drove to the National seashore to do the scenic drive and stop at the beach. We also stopped to spot the Manatees for a while and did some errands. We lucked out and had a lovely day - many folks just went to the beach in Cocoa Beach.

No roof in solarium. We went Feb this year because of price never again. We spent the night in the Poconos 3 degrees that night. It was two days cold going down and two days back no one used the pool This pushes everyone down to lower decks which gets crowded. Coco Cay water not warm and more shallow then normal. Port Canaveral Not one of my favorite ports. Don't get me wrong had a great time just something I would not do again.

the solarium is not closed --- but the hot tubs are undercover and a nice temp---as the last post said check theme park times --- we had booked breakaway norwegian for 0ct 27th and checked theme park tines and they closed by 700 not enough time and that is why we switched back to RCCL...

Same here. I thought only Liberty and Indy and Oasis class had heated pools, other than the hot tubs.

We were on her 10/19, we were in the hot tub in the solarium and some people went in the pool, I thought they were crazy but when they came in the hot tub they said it was warm and sure enough it was, It was cold a couple of days later though so not sure how often it is heated.

I am thinking of booking on Exployrer for May 30, 2014 to 5 days to Bermuda on Deck 9 - # 9003 across from an inside cabin, close to elevator. Do you think this is a good cabin location ? I like quiet and no smoke !!!

I don't see a 9003, but if you mean 9300, then that looks like a convenient location, not far from the stairs. There should not be any smoke on balconies after Jan 1.

Thanks so much for all the info. We are def not Disney people either..LOL

I would love more opinions about sailing out in February from people who have done this cruise

Thanks Jobowl....you are making us rethink if we wanna go out of NYC now

MORE OPINIONS ON EXP FEB PLEASE!!!!!

Archived