Authentic Mexican Food

Travel_Lover28

Now I'm deciding where to get great authentic Mexican food. :confused:

I've heard great things about Poncho's Backyard but I think that is near the port. If you are doing an island tour, would you eat on the east side? If you wanted beach time, would you just eat at Mr. Sanchos. My family loves Mexican food. I've heard good review also for Casa Mission. So many decision to make. I really need a vacation just from all the planning.

Some links to threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1579815&highlight=authentic+mexican+food

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1797387&highlight=local+restaurants

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1517957&highlight=lunch

In answer to your question. Yes...Eat on the east side. Playa Bonita or Chen Rio have good seafood. Rasta Bar has very good ceviche and a decent kitchen for other things. Playa Molina is supposedly getting their food back up to speed (haven't eaten there though). Lots of people like to go to Coconuts. where drinks are okay but food isn't any thing more than what you'd get at any chain "Mexican" restaurant in the States.

As far as Pancho's Backyard, there is an outlet at the Playa Maya pier and the main one is downtown. Good standard fare with strong margaritas. I like their version of chili rellenos. As I recall, Casa Mission is only open for dinner, and it's back into town (55 Avenida y Avenida Juarez). Their sister restaurant, La Mission, is downtown back the plaza and has the open arbor/patio seating with strolling musicans. Again, good standard fare.

But there are smaller places (see the threads) with more authentic regional (Yucatan) cooking and Casa Denis just off the east side of the plaza is one of the oldest Coz restaurants serving regional style dishes.

Stay away from Casa Mission. Not that the food is bad by any means, but it is overpriced and chocked full of tourists. If you go about two blocks down the street from La Mission, there is a little gem called "La Casita del Indio." If you are facing La Mission from the street, left will be the water, and right is the direction you want to go. For 5-10$ per person you will experience great guacamole, salsa, pico, and some tasty Mexican fare. It is a little hole in the wall place with maybe 10 tables. The staff is friendly, and the most important thing, all locals there. I have been twice(both times I went to Cozumel) and never see tourists there. Not to say that they don't wander in, but it's more of a local establishment. I won't eat anywhere else in Mexico now.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150809-d3379810-Reviews-La_Casita_de_Indio-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Now I'm deciding where to get great authentic Mexican food. :confused:

I've heard great things about Poncho's Backyard but I think that is near the port. If you are doing an island tour, would you eat on the east side? If you wanted beach time, would you just eat at Mr. Sanchos. My family loves Mexican food. I've heard good review also for Casa Mission. So many decision to make. I really need a vacation just from all the planning.

My local contacts have recommended for great mexican food: Restaurant El Moro -- a bit out of downtown but easy to get to.

Have to try it!!!!!!!!

Herb :confused:

My DH and DD were thrilled with the luncheon after we swam with the dolphins at Chakanaab (sp).

Not the counter service place....the restuarant by the beach...

The had BIG servings of all their entres and the did not get sick....let me repeat...it was tasty, and they did not get sick.

Sea Ya

Archived