Question about luxury or expedition Cruises.

crazyme5kids

After discussing the possibility of taking a cruise, my husband said he would be willing to go on one! So I've been reading about different types of cruises to see which ones or types would be a good fit for us. I have a feeling that both of us would like smaller to maybe mid-size ships, as well as expedition type cruises, maybe even a river cruise.

My question is: How far in advance must you book for these types of cruises? Is it possible to book a few weeks or a month or so in advance, or do these ships fill up well in advance with no availability closer to sailing dates? Due to the nature of my husband's job, it is very hard to plan far in advance (even six months is difficult).

After discussing the possibility of taking a cruise, my husband said he would be willing to go on one! So I've been reading about different types of cruises to see which ones or types would be a good fit for us. I have a feeling that both of us would like smaller to maybe mid-size ships, as well as expedition type cruises, maybe even a river cruise.

My question is: How far in advance must you book for these types of cruises? Is it possible to book a few weeks or a month or so in advance, or do these ships fill up well in advance with no availability closer to sailing dates? Due to the nature of my husband's job, it is very hard to plan far in advance (even six months is difficult).

Once you've determined the ship and itinerary that suits appeals to you, you should go ahead and book the trip. This way you will get the cabin you desire, cabin location ie: mid-ship. If there are any discounts to be had you probably will get them further down the pike as long as you haven't paid your cruise in full.

Full payment for cruises is typically three months prior to the sailing. If you're interested in smaller luxury ships you might consider Regent Seven Seas and Silver Sea also Azamara.

Jonathan

If you are thinking of taking a river cruise in Europe, you will probably have to book at least 6 months ahead. We booked one over 9 months before sailing date and got the last cabin in our category. Don't forget those ships are small, (ours had 68 cabins) and arranging air fare to Europe isn't always easy. It was a great cruise, but I can't imagine arranging it on short notice.

A lot will depend on the itinerary and time of year, and the type of cabin you would like (lower priced and the highest priced tend to fill quickest). Whether or not you need an airline ticket to get to/from your cruise will also make a difference - if you need to book a flight, last minute might not work at certain times of the year, or might be very expensive.

Thank you for your replies so far.

As far as airfare goes, I'm not too concerned about that. What we would probably do is wrap a cruise around my husband's travel commitments with his job. So it could be before or after, or, if there is a nice chunk if time in between work travel weeks. So very flexible in that way, but not too flexible planning too far out from an actual date. I would fly down a a few days or a week before to meet him wherever he happens to be before we would head to where we'd cruise from.

Also, we are lucky because we could be very flexible where ports are concerned. His job travel takes him to Mexico, Central America, South America and the Carribean. All areas that I'd be very happy to take a cruise from!

Why don't you start by visiting a local travel agent. Pick up a bunch of those lovely glossy brochures and study them and pick a cruise (or a few) that have ports that interest you and your husband. Then, when you know when you want to cruise - book it. Would be great if you had a couple of options. Also, look into "cancel for any reason" insurance just in case. Enjoy the planning and your cruise.

Why don't you start by visiting a local travel agent. Pick up a bunch of those lovely glossy brochures and study them and pick a cruise (or a few) that have ports that interest you and your husband. Then, when you know when you want to cruise - book it. Would be great if you had a couple of options. Also, look into "cancel for any reason" insurance just in case. Enjoy the planning and your cruise.

I'm on sensory overload just looking at Cruise Critic, lol! At this point everything looks fantastic. I'm thinking if we do cruise it won't be until 2015. Before I get too deep into my search though, I'd like to know if booking a luxury or expedition cruise with less than two months from a sailing date would even be an option. If it isn't then I will know I need to start looking at what other options there are.

For those of you who have done this (booked two months or less out), how did it work out for you?

I booked a 12 day Eastern Med. cruise roundtrip from Istanbul ony 7 week before sailing and after final payment. As of 10 day out people were still booking. Mostly solos .

I used for the first time a brick and mortar TA rather than a online TA.

She worked hard to get a great airfare for us. And she has handled many small details with such short notice. She is only a phone call away.

so I would say go for it. Be aware that most 2015 sailings are not posted yet. If you are looking for South America, those itineraries are from roughly December thru March, it is summer there.

I too think you should go to a TA with your unique situation and let the TA come up with three cruise itineraries that you would like.

then when you know your husbands schedule eight weeks out, book it and have a great vacation.

I booked a 12 day Eastern Med. cruise roundtrip from Istanbul ony 7 week before sailing and after final payment. As of 10 day out people were still booking. Mostly solos .

I used for the first time a brick and mortar TA rather than a online TA.

She worked hard to get a great airfare for us. And she has handled many small details with such short notice. She is only a phone call away.

so I would say go for it. Be aware that most 2015 sailings are not posted yet. If you are looking for South America, those itineraries are from roughly December thru March, it is summer there.

I too think you should go to a TA with your unique situation and let the TA come up with three cruise itineraries that you would like.

then when you know your husbands schedule eight weeks out, book it and have a great vacation.

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that booking close to a sailing date is possible. I'll have my husband speak to the TA he uses for all his flight travel. There are two or three people who were assigned to deal with his travel, so they understand how convoluted it can be. If they aren't able to handle booking a cruise, maybe they can recommend someone.

Archived