Check in Time on Summit in Puerto Rico?

Baybear

I see by my cruise info that the Summit doesn't leave port in Puerto Rico next year (we're going on the Feb 1 2014 cruise to the Southern Caribbean) until 8:30PM at night! They get in that same day at 6:00AM in the morning.

Does anyone know if you can board sooner than a few hours before the 8:30PM sailing? We'll be in San Juan the day before but don't want to check out of a hotel and lug our bags around all day.

Most ships have boarding at about noon or so and after that, but I've never encountered a cruise that left as late as 8:30 at night so I'm wondering when you can board.

No "opinions" please... I'd just like to hear from someone who has been on this cruise in past years and "knows" that the answer is.

TIA

I have cruised on Summit from Puerto Rico and will do so again in 3 weeks. The reason for the late departure is flights coming into Puerto Rico arrive a bit later. That doesn't affect when you can get on the ship, we were on before noon on our last cruise and will do so again this time.

We were on board before noon. I do not recall the exact time, but is was definitely before noon. Rooms were ready around 2 ish, but we played dumb and dropped our bags off as the steward was putting the finishing touches on the room. San Juan is so close to the ports of call the Summit travels to that they can afford to wait for the afternoon flights and not waste fuel sailing super slow because of an earlier departure.

We were on board before noon. I do not recall the exact time, but is was definitely before noon. Rooms were ready around 2 ish, but we played dumb and dropped our bags off as the steward was putting the finishing touches on the room. San Juan is so close to the ports of call the Summit travels to that they can afford to wait for the afternoon flights and not waste fuel sailing super slow because of an earlier departure.

On a different cruise line, I was able to board the ship in San Juan by 1PM, then head off into Old San Juan until maybe 6pm or so and then re-board. I believe dinner was unassigned seats in the MDR that evening. I don't recall when the muster drill was held.

Is the process similar or different for X? This will be my 1st X experience, please let me know, thanks.

I have cruised on Summit from Puerto Rico and will do so again in 3 weeks. The reason for the late departure is flights coming into Puerto Rico arrive a bit later. That doesn't affect when you can get on the ship, we were on before noon on our last cruise and will do so again this time.

Great! Thanks very much. That's just the info I needed... Now we can plan better for our arrival in Puerto Rico.

Archived