New York handicap embarkation

ctcpl44fun

We are going on splendor for thanksgiving week. I can't walk that great because I have two bad knees. I do have a handicap card for my car. Does anyone know how the embarkation works for people not In wheelchairs.. Do I need to bring my card??

We are going on splendor for thanksgiving week. I can't walk that great because I have two bad knees. I do have a handicap card for my car. Does anyone know how the embarkation works for people not In wheelchairs.. Do I need to bring my card??

No you do not have to bring or show your HC Parking Placard during the embarkation period. However there is quite a long walk through the port check-in process and than onto the ship. Therefore suggest that the once at the port you request wheelchair assistance during the embarkation process. Also do the same on the last day for disembarkation. All information regarding wheelchair assistance on disembarkation day will be posted in the daily new letter the night before.

This service is only offered by the cruise lines on embarkation and disembarkation days. Wheelchair assistance is NOT provided by the cruise line when getting off/on the ship in port. It that's a service you require than you need to bring a your own wheelchair or rent one through the cruise lines approved rental provider.

I went on foot and didn't ask for help on embarkation (from Southampton) for our Christmas cruise. By the time I had negotiated the zig-zag queue for security checks and then the zig-zag bridges up to the ship I was absolutely exhausted and regretted not using the wheelchair.

In August I used the wheelchair and asked for assistance on embarkation and disembarkation. It was soooo much easier and I got on the ship feeling happy and expectant rather than needing a nap!

• 2 weeks later...

As other's have said, you don't need to bring your HC card (unless you're driving and leaving your car in an HC lot).

What you could do is go to your booking and fill in the "Guest's With Special Requirement's" section. That way they'll know you are coming and will (hopefully) have a wheelchair available for boarding.

Or, if you don't mind staying to the right and letting people pass by, you'll be fine :)!

Personally, I use a cane and don't yet need a wheelchair, but as Slugsta said, the zig-zagging of line's can get exhausting :(. I just take my time. I know I'll be on board eventually :)!

Get in touch with Carnival's Special Needs department and arrange for a wheelchair to meet you in the terminal and get you through the embarkation process. If you're parking a car in the cruise terminal's lot, and you're parking in a space reserved for the disabled, of course you'll need to have Your placard. But you won't need a placard for the ship.

Archived