Parking at NYC pier 88 (for former Breakaway passengers)

tvguy72

We have sailed 2x out of NYC. However, we have never been on a ship this size from here. My question is, has any previous Breakaway passengers faced any parking challenges at the port.

We plan to arrive about 10am. I would imagine the spaces fill up quickly due to the number of passengers.

Any info would be helpful.

thx.

FWIW, in all my years on CC, I have never read a post that complained about the parking lot at the pier running out of spaces. Keep in mind that many people arrive via cab, car service or drop-off by friends/relatives.

Three out of NY one on breakaway and saw no differance at all between them. But to be fully honest ship sailed a little below full capacity. I don't think therrs an issue.funny I posted this and looked at my signature bump, it up to four out of NY .

Edited by don24

I wouldn't worry about a thing - we're sailing the Splendor using Pier 90 last month on the same day as the Breakaway @ Pier 88. See our balcony pictures - there was plenty of empty spaces around 1 PM (pix #1 below) and even with late arrivals taking up more space on top of the pier above us around 2:30 PM - they could easily handle any overflow from Pier 88 if they need to (pix #2.) As others noted, it has never been reported as being problematic or vehicles being turned away for paying the "premium" price & privileges of parking above to sail away.

P9220053.JPG

P9220058.JPG

Carmel car service drop us off on level 2 right out front and extended family's "limo" minivan pickup when we disembark :p - the money we saved meant extra $$ not used for parking fees go toward duty-free shopping for the "driver" fetching us to go home - and, an empty space for someone for the convenience. Happy "campers" all around ....

Edited by mking8288

I am fortunate to have sailed Breakaway twice (in May and September) and had no trouble either time finding a parking space at the pier. In May, we arrived around 11:00 a.m. In September, we arrived around 10:00 a.m. and were lucky enough to get about the 5th space closest to the elevator as someone had just left!

Tracy

My wife and I were on the July 7 Breakaway sailing and parked at the cruise terminal. It was a peak season high capacity sailing. Having said that, parking at Pier 88 was a breeze. We got there about 9:30am. The whole parking process was quick and efficient. When you arrive at the parking deck right beside the ship, there was a pull off where you could stop and unload about 20 feet from the big elevator which takes you to the floor where you check in your luggage with the porters. The were porters available on the parking deck in case you need any help. My wife stayed with our stuff while I parked the car. There was lots of space to park. Later in the afternoon just before we sailed, I happened to look down from one of top decks and saw that while there were a lot more cars parked, there were still spaces available. Returning the following Sunday worked just great in reverse. The big elevator is right outside of Customs and Immigration. The whole thing worked great. Everything was well marked; the signs were clear. When we departed, we were driving away within a few minutes after walking off the ship. I will certainly park there again. One last thing... we drove into Manhattan thru the Lincoln Tunnel and went west to the Hudson on 42nd St. It is a really cool sight when you turn at the river: there's the ship towering over everything - this mammoth, beautiful, floating pleasure palace getting ready to take you away for a really awesome trip. Enjoy!

I guess we have had some bad luck. Three or four times over the years the parking has been full and we had to park in other places. But the last time was two years ago. Usually everything is fine but hubby now insists we get there by 10 to 10:30.

We have sailed out of NYC three times. Gem (2x) and once on the Breakaway. We also get to the pier around 10:00am and have never had any problems with finding a space. On our Breakaway sailing with had 3900P pax. We arrived at 9:30am the pier was dam near empty

If pier 88 is full then if spots on 90 you will park there. If both are full there is an overflow lot nearby as well. They are not parking on 92 anymore, they used to overflow to that.

I sailed on Carnival from 90 but returning we were the only ship so we docked 88, it wasn't that big an issue to go over to 90, porters were even helping bring luggage there if you do end up on a different pier.

• 2 years later...