Future fees for Southwest bags?

waterbug123

If they want to do this, and that's a big if, they have to lower their fares. SW has prided itself on the 'Bags fly free on SW' principle. I think it's hard to imagine that all of a sudden, they step away from what's kinda their trademark. Specially without giving something in return price-wise. It's like having to pay on a cruise for MDR :p

Just remember, before 2015 is only 14 months (and five days) of time. So it is far more foreseeable than some may believe.

My bet is that they make it effective Jan 15, 2015 - enough after the holiday season, but sooner rather than later.

And, from the other end of the spectrum, Ryanair will be liberalizing fees and policies:

From The Telegraph:

Ryanair cuts fees and gives customers a 'grace period' on bookings in unprecedented charm offensive

Ryanair is cutting charges and allowing passengers to carry an extra bag onto its flights in an unprecedented charm offensive from an airline famed for its hidden fees and ruthless approach to customers.

The money quote:

Mr O'Leary - who has previously called customers stupid and said enviromentalists should be shot - said: "We hope that our passengers will enjoy these service improvements, while still enjoying Ryanair's low fares and on-time flights."
And:

Experts said it was the first time in Ryanair's history that the no-frills airline had "backtracked" in a relentless pursuit of a quick buck.
Read the whole story at the link above.

If they want to do this, and that's a big if, they have to lower their fares.....I think it's hard to imagine that all of a sudden, they step away from what's kinda their trademark. Specially without giving something in return price-wise.

Have to? They don't HAVE to do anything. Now, common sense says if this happened then sure, they'd sweeten the news and try to sell it as lower fares in exchange for separate bag fees, and would probably even make some token demonstration of lower fares initially. But 6 months later I bet fares would be right back where they were before. And thinking a company could never step away from what had been their trademark and go in a different direction is just naive, wishful thinking.

Just remember, before 2015 is only 14 months (and five days) of time. So it is far more foreseeable than some may believe.

My bet is that they make it effective Jan 15, 2015 - enough after the holiday season, but sooner rather than later.

That's the probable timeline I foresee as well. The article said Southwest and Air Tran wouldn't be fully integrated until sometime in 2014, so early '15 would be a logical time to implement such a change.

Bottom line: No one can say for sure what change will or won't take place, nor when. I posted the link because I found the article interesting, and personally, I think it's the beginning stage of "hey look what's coming." That's my opinion, and it's neither right nor wrong; it's just an opinion. Others can feel free to disagree, but it doesn't me one of us is right and one of us is wrong, just that we have different opinions. As I said initially, time will tell.:)

Have to? They don't HAVE to do anything. Now, common sense says if this happened then sure, they'd sweeten the news and try to sell it as lower fares in exchange for separate bag fees, and would probably even make some token demonstration of lower fares initially. But 6 months later I bet fares would be right back where they were before. And thinking a company could never step away from what had been their trademark and go in a different direction is just naive, wishful thinking.

That was actually what I was trying to say. They'll launch a 'charm offense', but it won't last. After all, it's not a charity ofc.

Another possibility is raising the price for no-bag ticket and reducing the price a little for those flying with bags. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last spring, Southwest's CFO commented at an investor conference that they need to address rising costs. Also, he said they do *not* want to be known as the "Bags Fly Free" airline. Some early smoke signals, followed by more in the article OP linked.

Their fuel costs have increased sharply as their fuel hedges expire. A market advantage they have is some of their point-to-point routes....however many of those flights are much longer than the economical "sweet spot" of a 737 (2-3 hours) and are very fuel inefficient. It will be interesting to see how they differentiate themselves from legacy airlines as their size and operations look more and more like the other major carriers.

Archived