Need opinion - guarantee balcony or picked inside

sanger727

Hi,

So, my bf and I are in disagreement right now. Now, there's absolutely no guarantee that we can change anything anyway, but for our december cruise, the price of a balcony guarantee is now dropped to just above the price we paid for our inside cabin, so I'm considering asking if we can do the upgrade. We have what in my mind is a really good inside cabin. it's between two levels of staterooms and not close to the elevators. We had a balcony on our last cruise, and to me it's somewhat of an upgrade, but doesn't have alot of value to us. it would be nice to have for the same price, but not worth getting a room that's too noisy to sleep in. I'm super afraid of guarantees!!!! But my stepmother told me that in her experience inside cabins are noiser than balcony's anyway cause they're on the interior of a ship...so, I don't know what to do.

We just did an upgrade from balcony to gty mini suite. We're only 3 weeks from sailing and our PCC said that since were so close, they assign our number right away for the lowest mini suite category available (MC). I was able to tell him location, he picked out what he thought the best cabins were and we were all set! Maybe wait until you're a few weeks closer to sailing and the same will happen?

If the price is the same (or less) for the balcony guarantee, I'd choose the balcony. I would take the risk of a potential less-than-desirable cabin location in favor of having that balcony and view of the outside world. JMO.

If the price is the same (or less) for the balcony guarantee, I'd choose the balcony. I would take the risk of a potential less-than-desirable cabin location in favor of having that balcony and view of the outside world. JMO.

Us too...don't like to pay to upgrade. and we mostly don't worry about cabin location. Most any balcony better than inside. Which ship?

Safe sailing

Me too. But then again, having a balcony is important to us.

We just did an upgrade from balcony to gty mini suite. We're only 3 weeks from sailing and our PCC said that since were so close, they assign our number right away for the lowest mini suite category available (MC). I was able to tell him location, he picked out what he thought the best cabins were and we were all set! Maybe wait until you're a few weeks closer to sailing and the same will happen?

That would be good. May try for that. Does anyone have experience with an inside cabin being noisy due to ship noise?

Tough call! For me, it always comes down to "a room with a view." I'm the type of person who could spend hours sitting on even the smallest of balconies. I'd rather be on my balcony than by the pool. So for me, it would be a no-brainer: balcony guarantee. But if you're NOT the kind of person who'd spend a fair amount of time on the balcony, it might be better to go with the room that is where you want it to be.

Richard/Tralfie

That would be good. May try for that. Does anyone have experience with an inside cabin being noisy due to ship noise?

We usually have insides and no it's not true that insides are more noisey. It all depends on what is around you. If there is a lot of white space behind your inside, that is crew acess and may be noisey. We have only heard an excess amount of noise once on our cruise in an inside because we were right next to a crew door.

Just to give you a perspective. We had an inside that I picked out due to location. We are now just 3 weeks out, and I called earlier in the week about a free upgrade. On the website, they only now show a balcony guarantee or the larger balcony. They offered me a free balcony upgrade, and I made sure I knew the cabin number before I accepted. It is a balcony on the same deck I already picked out, just down the hall. So, if you are able to get a cabin number before you accept, I would consider it. That way you will know if your current location of your inside is better, if the balcony guarantee ends up being like ours, you won't be any worse for the wear.

Me, too.

Though some Epic balconies are much better than others, I'd take any one vs an inside cabin for the same price. Of course, we are sound sleepers and not prone to motion sickness. Overall our luck with gty assignment has been very good; on Epic we were assigned an aft balcony:D.

Personally, I'd grab that upgrade before it gets away; prices may go up rather than down. I know you are hoping prices will drop for assigned balcony categories; do not count on that. And if prices of assigned balconies do happen do drop, call back and upgrade yet again.

Worried about noise? Pack earplugs. Any cabin can be noisy. Sometimes ships just make creaking noises that bother people. Sometimes you get a very noisy neighbor or a nearby passel of poorly behaved kids or crying baby. You could get noise even if you keep your hand picked cabin.

We've had an inside cabin twice and had no noise issues at all. Probably depends on the location of the cabin.

Personally though I'd get the balcony guarantee. The two times we've had a balcony I loved sitting out on the balcony with my morning coffee or having an afternoon drink.

Archived