GCT's Artemis- Dalmatian Coast

JerseyGem

DH and I just booked GCT's Hidden Gems of the Dalmatian Coast for 11/9/13. Is anyone else going? Or does anyone have experience with this cruise? It used to be an OAT cruise. We have taken two GCT river cruises already, but this is our first small-ship adventure with them. We booked last minute, so are scrambling to find info and to learn about that region. We're finding out how little we know about geography, new countries (new for someone in school in the 50's and 60's), assorted cultures and even current events for that part of the world.

We took the OAT winter Croatia trip several years ago, on that ship. Of all the trips we've taken, it was our favorite! The trip was in January, and we stopped all along Croatia, plus Montenegro and Bosnia. The cabins aren't fancy, put certainly adequate. We had a balcony, which we actually sat on a few times. Loved, loved the size of the ship...49 passengers. Crew was great. I have to tell you we booked that trip because I wanted to try OAT, and it was their least expensive trip. Have traveled with GCT since then, am traveling with GCT in December (xmas time Seine cruise), and have another trip booked for next year. Enjoy your trip! Oh yes, our guide was Alan, and he was so interesting and informative...we learned a LOT about Croatia.

Edited by Barrheadlass

Thanks for the reply- especially since it's a positive one! The trip does sound fantastic to us, but confirmation is great. Do you remember if you needed to exchange many dollars into kunas? Our trip starts in Athens and ends in Zagreb (3 nights); I assume that is where we'll most likely be on our own for lunches, etc. in the last few decades, we've only cruised/visited places where either the dollar or the Euro are accepted. Now we're wondering when and where to exchange into other currencies. We'll also use a credit card, but small places might not take them.

Any other hints for us?

We used credit cards for "big" purchases...a couple of meals, as I recall. Zagreb was very interesting...and cold while we were there, of course, our trip was in January! We did exchange for kunas a few times, in a bank, as I recall. Can't recall any other special info..Our trip started and ended in Zagreb. We especially enjoyed the home hosted visit, and lots of prosciutto!

I just looked again at your itinerary...fabulous! We too went to Korcula, Split, Hvar, Dubrovnik, Kotor (no Greece or Albania, more ports in Croatia, plus Bosnia). Fun winery in Hvar, I think, and we particularly enjoyed Dubrovnik. Enjoyed coffee by the sea in Split...and of course, don't miss Diocletian's Palace in Split. We spent extra time in Korcula because of bad weather...really, really quiet in January, but enjoyable...

Edited by Barrheadlass

I'm the other half . . . with a couple more questions. And thank you for the replies.

Do you recall the availability of ATMs in Dubrovnik? It's our first stop in Croatia . . . prior to that we're in Euro lands. We start in Athens on Sunday and hit Dubrovnik on Saturday, I expect the banks to be closed, so it's ATM or ????

Did you use the on board Zodiacs anywhere on your cruise?

How "bumpy" was your trip - I am planning on a morning pill for bus rides on windy roads and an evening pill for mar de mer. The possibility of a little bit drowsy beats the alternative.

Edited by CPT Trips

We were late to using ATMs, but I'm sure they were there. Only once in the 10 or 12 day cruise did I feel the least bit queasy...very smooth water most of the time. There are really, really scary roads in Croatia, but smooth. We had some very frightening rides over snowy roads...something you won't have to deal with. Our driver was very good. You'll have a wonderful time! Btw, I'm originally from N.J. Too...the opposite end...although today I wore my Glassboro State sweatshirt!

Almost forgot...no zodiacs on our cruise.

Edited by Barrheadlass

We are just back from Dubrovnik and there are ATMs everywhere. It is very tourist oriented and you will have no trouble finding a convenient ATM. The city is clean and beautiful and we enjoyed our visit.

We actually saw this vessel when we were walking at the dock and were surprised to see the GCT logo as I am only familiar with their river boats. It is small and attractive from the outside.

Enjoy your trip!

We are just back from Dubrovnik and there are ATMs everywhere. It is very tourist oriented and you will have no trouble finding a convenient ATM. The city is clean and beautiful and we enjoyed our visit.

We actually saw this vessel when we were walking at the dock and were surprised to see the GCT logo as I am only familiar with their river boats. It is small and attractive from the outside.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the info, that let's me travel with fewer US$. Was she docked in the same area as the cruise ships? How close to the old town?

As we hear things, GCT converted some of their small boat cruises from OAT. Here's a list for anyone interested. http://www.gct.com/find-trips.aspx?triptype=smallshipcruisetour&icid=global:smallshiprivercruise:smallshipcruisetours

In most of the stops in Croatia, you are right in the "city" and can walk...yes, Dubrovnik is further, so you'll get taken in a bus. If you have any particular questions, let me know...

Yes, this trip was originally OAT, but I heard that because it wasn't "adventurous" enough it was changed to GCT. Meant to mention too that we had 2 tour directors on the ship, so each group was 25.

In most of the stops in Croatia, you are right in the "city" and can walk...yes, Dubrovnik is further, so you'll get taken in a bus. If you have any particular questions, let me know...

Yes, this trip was originally OAT, but I heard that because it wasn't "adventurous" enough it was changed to GCT. Meant to mention too that we had 2 tour directors on the ship, so each group was 25.

OK . . . I'll make you regret the offer. ;)

Korcula and Hvar are listed as having some "on your own" time. Any thoughts on what to do or see?

Did you have any hotel time in Zagreb? If so any restaurant recommendations?

We didn't have a lot of free time in Hvar, which has acres and acres of lavender. Near the dock, there were many people selling lavender products, sachets, etc. Also, our cruise director, Alan, had worn a shirt that many of us admired...it came from a small shop in Hvar, and quite a few people purchased them (sorry I can't describe, my memory is fuzzy, but it was a long sleeved t of some sort...). As I mentioned before, we spent an extra day in Korcula due to bad weather in Kotor. Alan led us on a long walk around the island. There were few things open in January, something you'll find different, I'm sure.

Six of us went to a tiny bar near Marco Polo's "birthplace." We just had wine, but the owner gave us all prosciutto and cheese, and grappa to the men only! Only he and his wife were there, and shared pics of their family, etc. The experience was something we really enjoyed. I also purchased some filigree jewelry there...Croatia being known for it

We spent a night in Zagreb in the beginning and one at the end. Sorry, I cannot remember where we ate. Up the hill there was a big farmers' market, even in January! There

is also a funny museum, which we didn't visit, The Museum of Broken Relationships, or something like that.

Edited by Barrheadlass

• 2 weeks later...

I did this trip last year (July 2012) and have their winter Adriatic trip planned for January 2014.

I loved the ship. The small size (50 passengers) makes it easy to get to know most everyone. The crew and service is fantastic.

In Dubrovnik, we had a evening walk through the city and then a more extensive city thru the next morning.

My favorite stop was Korcula. We dock overnight right in old town. There was a festival going on so we had much to see and do on our free time.

My only complaint is some of the passengers could not handle all the walking and constantly complained. I guess they never read the brochure or pre trip materials.

I have been on 20 GCT/OAT trips and wish this one had stayed OAT. The only good thing about rebranding to GCT is they now use headphones.

• 1 year later...

I took this cruise last summer on the Athena. It was fantastic. The Bay of Kotor in particular is incredibly beautiful. I don't know if you are taking either of the extensions, but both are very worthwhile. The seas were calm for the most part in July/August, but I have no knowledge of what they would be like in the spring. If you are in good shape, there is a hike up the mountain in Kotor that gives you fabulous views. The program directors usually take people who are interested. If you are not into steep hikes, the optional trip to Cetinje over a series of switchback also gave you fabulous views over the Bay. However, I couldn't eat the big "snack" offered in Cetinje so close after breakfast. If you take that optional, you might want to skip breakfast. I didn't take the optional Omis trip but the trip to Varazdin was interesting. If you have any questions, please let me know.

We hope to do GCT's Hidden Gems cruise tour in 2016; just waiting for the dates to be published. I don't recall many comments about their ships, just about the locales. Any additional info or tips would be much appreciated.

The ships hold only 50 passengers, so are cozy...and I mean that in a good way!

They aren't fancy, but have "real" beds...not the fold down type on GCT's River ships. (I have found those fine too, though...)There is a comfortable lounge, and round tables in the dining room.

I'm heading to Italy next month and will be on an identical GCT ship and am looking forward to it.

Edited by Barrheadlass

I am the original poster for this thread. DH and I did take this cruise/trip in the Fall of 2013. We had a wonderful time. I highly, highly recommend this trip! The ports are very interesting, the ship was lovely, and the PD's were very informative and helpful. I don't know how many times I can use the word "very" without all of you laughing at me!

We were on the Artemis; the Athena is the sister ship (and there is one other whose name eludes me at the moment). We had only 48 passengers (max is 50) and were divided into two groups of 24 for almost all excursions, walks, talks, etc. The captain had an open bridge policy (meaning stop by and ask questions, look around, etc). Meals were open seating with a set time for dinner and usually lunch and a range of times for breakfasts. Usually a choice of 3 or so entrees for dinner- all very good. House wines with dinner (other wines available to buy).

We had the most forward balcony cabin. It was small but certainly adequate. The balcony was small, but the side panel opens and you can move around to the front of the ship on that deck for better views. Or just go to the end of the hallway on that deck and go out to the front of the ship. The sundeck is large enough for everyone to be up top if the weather is nice. We had decent wifi service in the lounge area (along almost whole trip).

We started in Athens (two nights in a hotel) and ended in Zagreb (3 nights?). Both were great, but we were very surprised at how much we enjoyed Zagreb. It's a very interesting city! We did not take any extensions. Those on the pretrip (Athens) thought it was overpriced but enjoyed it. We did hear (after we were home) from some on the post trip (Lake Bled); all loved that extension. If you can only take one, I would suggest the Lake Bled (Slovenia) trip.

Ask any questions. I try to look at this thread every other day or so. Lynn

One tip that came right to mind is to hit a grocery store/super market in your first port. We picked up some soda, snacks and wine to enjoy on our balcony (and also in the lounge).

There is very limited entertainment ship board, even less than on a river boat, so bring some reading with you.

Jersey Gem, I'm so glad you enjoyed your GCT trip was much as I did!

Yes- we enjoyed that trip and travelling with GCT so much that we took their Romance of the Rhine and Mosel last Spring and will take their Essence of the Elbe next Fall. We're hooked!

• 6 months later...

We are booked on this trip for July 2016. The GCT agent talked us into booking cabin 301. It is at the front of the ship. He said all his returning clients seems to prefer this location. We are doing the post trip to Slovenia as well.

Interesting . . . We booked last minute for our cruise on Artemis and 302 was the only cabin available. We enjoyed the balcony, but it is narrow. It was too cool most of the trip to sit out for long, so the upper deck was seldom used.