Crown Debarkation Question

Ozzmund

Delta just changed our return flight from 1:00 PM to 11:00 AM on debarkation day. As this will be our first cruise on Princess, will this flight change be an issue? We have the option to take a late afternoon flight if needed.

Not having experienced debarkation with Princess, am interested in the thoughts of those of you who have.

Thanks for your comments.

Others with better information will comment, but I think I have seen comments that if you walk off and carry your luggage and there are no serious delays you should be okay.

But

Personally I would switch. I would rather relax and sit at the airport a few hours than have to worry about making it to the airport in time if customs is very slow that day or the ship is delayed for any reason. I do not want to end a relaxing cruise holiday with a worry about anything. We always stay over an extra night and get a morning flight the next day when the airport is usually a bit less crowded. But staying an extra night is not an option for everyone.

I assume you are referring to Fort Lauderdale?

Go over to the HAL board and read the posts about delays at Fort Lauderdale recently. Then you can make your decision. Delays are happening with Customs/Immigration.:(

Our last cruise out of Fort Lauderdale was 2 years ago. We were delayed getting off (we were told due to Customs) & ended up getting off 2 hrs & 45 min past our scheduled time.

I agree that I would not chance it.

It doesn't matter whether it's Princess, HAL, RCCL or whatever. Immigration is the issue and that's strictly up to the port authorities. No way to predict that. Princess will disembark as soon as they can.

I deliberately didn't book a direct flight from FLL to LAX at 11:30am for yesterday's Royal Princess disembarkation and was glad I did as we sat in the Wheelhouse from before 8am until well after 9am. It took about 15-20 minutes to get through Immigration. We were supposed to be shortly after the self-disembarkation and "Red" luggage tags.

Once you get to FLL, there are usually long check-in and Security lines because this is a busy airport with lots of cruise passengers and vacationers.

Ozzmund... which sailing are you on? I'm curious to know how much notice you received. Wonder if airlines ever change flight times during the week while passengers are ON a cruise, possibly without access to the notice.

Our cruise is February 1-8 2014. I have received notification by Delta as late as a week before. Have not experienced a change while on a cruise or on vacation....yet.

Our cruise is February 1-8 2014. I have received notification by Delta as late as a week before. Have not experienced a change while on a cruise or on vacation....yet.

Ah, ok - me either (yet!). Flight changes never used to happen to me up until the past few years, now it's pretty much every time I fly. Makes ya wonder why they bother selling you a particular flight/time in the first place. If you've never done it, you might want to consider one of the cruilse line excursions for disembarkation day - that's what we're doing as our flight isn't until after 1pm. We made reservations for the Everglades Air Boat & Eco Adventure. I've seen others say they rent a car and do some wandering, but not sure your 3:30pm flight is really enough time to make the latter worth it.

Archived