Grrrrr!

Baron_Vendredi

I have been watching the 9th May westbound QM2 crossing for a few months with the intention of booking a Queens grill stateroom for my mum and me to celebrate her birthday.

The Q5s were £3,299 up until the weekend with plenty of space available (I could still choose a particular stateroom and not just on a guarantee basis - there were around 8 showing on Friday) Today, however, they've sold out completely and all that's left are Q3s for £4,999. I'd love one but unfortunately my budget doesn't go that far up.

Does anyone know if categories ever come back? Maybe once the deadline for confirming and paying the final balance in February has passed there may be some cancellations or (here's hoping) a chance of a Getaway fare?

Thanks everyone

I have been watching closely all 4 segments of the QM2 Caribbean voyage in December (just for the heck of it) and yes, I have seen sold outs change to availability and back to sold out again from day to day, even after the 90 day lock in period. Lots of changes all the time which really surrpised me. I did book the 12 day segment................. I believe I have read on this forum that you can get on a "wait list" at Cunard............ I also booked the May 9th sailing, paying more than I would like, because I think this sailing will sell out easily due to the QM2's 10th birthday celebrations and will not end up heavily discounted. Good Luck - hope you are able to book - should be a great time - all three Queens in Southampton on the 9th, Stephen Payne to lecture, etc.

I thought that it might sell out easily so I'd told myself that I had to book on a Vantage fare. I was only holding out for a few more days until the next billing cycle for my credit card...

I (stupidly) thought I had plenty of time because the availability looked so open. I'll keep checking as you say - one of those elusive 8 staterooms may just come back!

...Does anyone know if categories ever come back? Maybe once the deadline for confirming and paying the final balance in February has passed there may be some cancellations or (here's hoping) a chance of a Getaway fare?

It's a chance we all take when we try to wait out for the lowest possible deal. Wait, wait, wait...too late.

Your best chance would be immediately after final payment would have been due. Of course the later you book the higher the deposit you will have to pay and a higher airfare might cancel out any savings. If it's selling this well this far out your chances for a Getaway fare won't look good..or nothing but insides and Q1s and Q2s will remain.

There has been some interesting posts on the availability of cabins on the Queen Elizabeth Atlantic crossing ths coming January.

I have now lost count of how many times cabinbs are available, then sold out, then available, then soldout!!!

It is like the indicator light of a car... Now it's working, now it's not... Now it's working, Now it's not.

I confess that from my very, very limited experience the higher grade locations tend to sell out quicker than the cheaper locations :o

I have been watching closely all 4 segments of the QM2 Caribbean voyage in December (just for the heck of it) and yes, I have seen sold outs change to availability and back to sold out again from day to day, even after the 90 day lock in period. Lots of changes all the time which really surrpised me. I did book the 12 day segment.................
The westbound TA prior to the 12-day has a (targeted) sale going, including heavily discounted airfare to the ship. I tried to convince the other half but she wasn't playing along...

I have been watching the 9th May westbound QM2 crossing for a few months with the intention of booking a Queens grill stateroom for my mum and me to celebrate her birthday.

The Q5s were £3,299 up until the weekend with plenty of space available (I could still choose a particular stateroom and not just on a guarantee basis - there were around 8 showing on Friday) Today, however, they've sold out completely and all that's left are Q3s for £4,999. I'd love one but unfortunately my budget doesn't go that far up.

Does anyone know if categories ever come back? Maybe once the deadline for confirming and paying the final balance in February has passed there may be some cancellations or (here's hoping) a chance of a Getaway fare?

Thanks everyone

Frequently TA's will reserve "blocks" of staterooms. They can only hold them so long befor they have to release them for other pax to reserve.

It really is worthwhile phoning Cunard!

For my last cruise, I saw a balcony cabin on the website on the Monday night. I went to book it on Tuesday and it was gone. I phoned Cunard and they said they had one left, which they assigned to me. Then they upgraded me to the next category so they still had one left, which they put back on the website.

Phone them direct and see what you can organise. Don't go through a travel agent. Certainly in the UK they get so little commission that it is not worth their time to make lots of enquiries. Yesterday I heard from a friend in Australia whose Cunard agent was not able to help her (even though she had details of both B-2-B cruises worked out by me on the internet) but she got what she wanted by phoning Cunard direct.

Thanks everyone

I too was watching this cruise then decided to book about 6 weeks ago was really surprised how few inhulls were left, no midships at all, was lucky to get the rear cabin next to the midships. I expect it is because it.s the 10th anniversary also all 3 Queens will be sailing that day from Southampton. so if I were you I would book. You mostly only get deals on not so popular sailings.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone.

Scrapnana, by the time I looked the Q7s had disappeared again!

I've been checking a couple of times each day and seen Q6s come back on a guaranteed basis then go as quickly as they came. Then Q5s were back but further down the booking process it said they had all sold out and unable to book.

As of this morning a whole bunch of 8 bookable Q5s are there, waiting for me. I just need to get paid next Friday and one of them is mine as long as they don't disappear again!

I wonder if the booking system is doing weird things as, according to another post, this crossing is the first itinerary after the Vantage / Getaway fares are scrapped.

Wish me luck :)

As Glojo says, the QG cabins often appear unavailable then show up again, especially when prices are changing or Getaway fares are becoming available.

I tracked every every available QG cabin on one cruise for several weeks, watching for price drops and all of a sudden they became unavailable and stayed that way for several weeks. Our TA couldn't get any joy either. About 4-5 weeks before sailing someone posted on here that they were back and very attractively priced; a bunch of us all booked Getaways, with a very nice upgrade, thank you very much.

I've seen other voyages where they have gone off line then come back the next day with just one or two fewer cabins available. If you track cabin numbers, you can sometimes see where someone has received an upgrade.

There's no hard and fast pattern to how this goes but do persevere and I hope something pops up for you.

Edited by Chunky2219

Thanks for all the comments, everyone.

Scrapnana, by the time I looked the Q7s had disappeared again!

I've been checking a couple of times each day and seen Q6s come back on a guaranteed basis then go as quickly as they came. Then Q5s were back but further down the booking process it said they had all sold out and unable to book.

As of this morning a whole bunch of 8 bookable Q5s are there, waiting for me. I just need to get paid next Friday and one of them is mine as long as they don't disappear again!

I wonder if the booking system is doing weird things as, according to another post, this crossing is the first itinerary after the Vantage / Getaway fares are scrapped.

Says it all

Whats wrong with a credit card? Or just book what one can afford !Don't forget the Butlers tip !

Edited by Pennbank

If you planned to book a Getaway fare, then I think you need to seriously consider doing it this weekend. You don't know what will happen to the price when they change the system.

Says it all

Whats wrong with a credit card? Or just book what one can afford !Don't forget the Butlers tip !

Oh Pennbank, how you seem to misunderstand those of us who run our own business and can't rely on the regular payments of an employer every 25th of the month.

I'd love to use a credit card but I've already maxed out a substantial monthly allowance on an Amex chargecard that I'd rather not play with until my debtors pay up and I can clear in full.

I'd hate to think how many bars in London's W1 I subsidise on a daily basis so I'm not too worried about having to afford the butler's tip.

If you find it hard to comment on the original topic of someone's post I'd consider keeping quiet and not making a tit of oneself

If you find it hard to comment on the original topic of someone's post I'd consider keeping quiet and not making a tit of oneself

Now, now, Baron! Thread drift is endemic to Cruise Critic. Whenever one posts here, one has to accept that, like the wind, it will drift where it wills. You only start the post; you have no control of where it will end. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone

Oh Pennbank, how you seem to misunderstand those of us who run our own business and can't rely on the regular payments of an employer every 25th of the month.

I'd love to use a credit card but I've already maxed out a substantial monthly allowance on an Amex chargecard that I'd rather not play with until my debtors pay up and I can clear in full.

I'd hate to think how many bars in London's W1 I subsidise on a daily basis so I'm not too worried about having to afford the butler's tip.

Not making a --- of myself, just stating the obvious, Pay for what you can afford at the time, that way you do not miss out. I also deal in cash most of the time but never ever max out my Credit cards. You never know where your next business appointment is going to take you, embarrassment if you cant pay the bills especially if a client is with you and one only has cash to rely on. Or the bank takes that extra day for the credit to go through !

I do not have an employer either, venture further west

better Bars in Chelsea and Kensington and Knightsbridge, then the west end anyway.

Anyway every one to their own, hope you get what you want, enjoy Cunard....... sure you will.

Edited by Pennbank
spelling

Heheh :) I quite like it when a thread drifts - I've learned so much from this forum in a couple of weeks from people sharing their experiences and helping each other out. I've also seen them degenerate into mudslinging and people sniping at each other (which can also be entertaining but not what I came here for)

Pennbank, I tend to stay local and not head out to South West London as I find the place full of pretentious Made in Chelsea wannabes. Perhaps you'll let me buy you a beer one day and you can show me the better places (after I get paid of course)

Now, does anyone want to accuse me of queuing up at the Purser's desk to remove the auto-gratuity before I've even sailed? :)

Thanks everyone

I've just checked today & QG are available for £3,499. Hope you get to book one.

Absolutely. Anyway, isn't that what the butler's for?

I like it. Send the butler to the Purser to remove the tips.

Then tip the butler in jelly babies.

Should help with the Amex problem.

David.