First Cruise Ever-Pre-Paid Gratuities

Danyell502

Hi Everyone,

I'm cruising with Royal Caribbean this year and I chose to prepay the gratuities. I understand that if I receive exceptional service from an individual worker I can tip more, but is it reasonable to only tip the recommended amount? Will crew members know that I've already payed? I don't want to insult anybody, but I also don't want to unknowingly tip more.

Thanks

Yes it is reasonable to tip the suggested amount. And yes they will know that you've pre-paid gratuities. I tip extra if someone gives me exceptional service or if I've asked them to do something special for me like keep my cooler filled with ice.

The suggested amount which you will have tipped is satisfactory and your staff will know. I always leave the auto tips on my account and do tip over and above that but that is my personal choice and far from a requirement. I always find one bartender that I hit it off with and tip them liberally. It's nice to just be pulling up my chair and having my drink of choice already poured. I tip my cabin steward up front a little extra and more at the end if they have been good. I don't ask much of them but if they are responsive to our few requests they get taken care of well. Both my daughters pretty much put themselves through unniversity with working in the service industry so I understand fully the importance of tips.

Yes it is reasonable to tip the suggested amount. And yes they will know that you've pre-paid gratuities. I tip extra if someone gives me exceptional service or if I've asked them to do something special for me like keep my cooler filled with ice.

Agree!

Always nice to hear from posters who are not trying to beat the system!

Note that onboard - every drink you order will have a 15% gratuity added. Therefore, you do not have to tip additional.

We sometimes will tip an extra dollar or two when ordering drinks especially if we ordered something a little different, or the server was extra nice or quick. Same with our room steward. If we only see him on embarkation day when he or she introduces themselves and if I have no other issues, then I do not give an extra tip. However, when I got sick on the ship and the room steward brought me to the ship hospital and wheeled me back to my room and gave me a bottle of sparkling wine on my birthday - that deserved an extra tip!!!

We always tip our room steward extra and normally on the first day we slip him something. We like having ice in our rooms all the time and not have to ask for it and because my DH has a sleep apnea machine, it can get in the way and they are good about moving it. The same for our dining staff, if they are entertaining, remember your likes and do little extras then they too get extra. We do the prepaid as well and envelopes are provided as well.

As long as you tip the "suggested" amount, you're good to go. "Above and beyond" are my criteria for extra tips. Sometimes, an attendant or server will do something really special, so an extra tip is very nice...but for the most part, as long as they do what they are supposed to, the normal tip is fine.

• 3 months later...
We always tip our room steward extra and normally on the first day we slip him something. We like having ice in our rooms all the time and not have to ask for it and because my DH has a sleep apnea machine, it can get in the way and they are good about moving it. The same for our dining staff, if they are entertaining, remember your likes and do little extras then they too get extra. We do the prepaid as well and envelopes are provided as well.

How did you get distilled water for the sleep apnea machine if you went from airplane to ship with chartered transportation???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The suggested tip amounts (and the amount you pre-paid) is sufficient. Unless someone goes "above and beyond" (and you will know it if it happens!), then the tips you've paid are fine. You need do no more.

Room service delivery is NOT included in your pre-paid tips. Nor is bartender service....they will ADD 15% to each tab you incur....that's fine!

Edited by cb at sea

How did you get distilled water for the sleep apnea machine if you went from airplane to ship with chartered transportation???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can contact the Special Needs department and they will have some in your room....

Yes, what a pleasure to read all these posts about tipping with NOT ONE of them trying to justify removing the auto-tip because ONE employee or another did not serve them well!!!

I get so tired of reading posts that say "I want to tip the people who are good to me and not the auto tip for everybody -- I tip well, I just don't want to tip the others"!