White Bay Cruise Terminal, Sydney, Australia

burm

Does anyone have any experience with the new White Bay Cruise Terminal in Sydney, Australia? I am so disappointed that we will not be docking at the old OPT at Circular Quay. The new terminal is incredibly inconvenient, especially as we will be overnighting in Sydney.

We would like to rent a car for a few days in Sydney, and are wondering about the best place to arrange for pick-up. As far as I can see, it is not possible to rent one at the cruise terminal.

I would ask this on POC forum for Australia/Sydney (or even Tripadvisor) - they would be more likely to have an answer for you as this is very new and few of us (if any) had been to that terminal yet.

I have been searching but have seen nothing that inspires me to optimism. :( I was hoping that someone here might give me some Oceania perspective, as to shuttles, etc.

I am so excited about this cruise, but over-nighting out in the boonies is a real bummer, especially when other lucky people still get to stroll on and off the ship at the old terminal, which is right in the center of everything.

Does anyone have any experience with the new White Bay Cruise Terminal in Sydney, Australia? I am so disappointed that we will not be docking at the old OPT at Circular Quay. The new terminal is incredibly inconvenient, especially as we will be overnighting in Sydney.

We would like to rent a car for a few days in Sydney, and are wondering about the best place to arrange for pick-up. As far as I can see, it is not possible to rent one at the cruise terminal.

The terminal is not all that remote being near the Aquarium...and near down town a quick cab from the Quay area.

Now, renting a car in Sydney which , in my experience has terrible traffic and takes hours to really get out of town to even near sights like Katoomba..

To get around I suggest getting a trnsport pass for 3 to 4 days.... covers all ferry, bus and local trains, goes way out and then get a car from a location maybe 20 miles from town.. That's the way to go as there are car rentals close by distant commuter train terminals. You have no idea how big Sydney harbor is.... Excellent public transport.

The pass includes several tours... Parking is very expensive and tough.

Actually, it is near the aquarium only if you swim across the bay :). Otherwise it is across the Anzac bridge and far inferior to either the old Darling Harbor terminal or the best option - OPT at Circular Quay.

I am sure you have explored this:

http://www.sydney.com/destinations/sydney/transport/white-bay-cruise-terminal

I too would not suggest a car in Sydney itself, unless you plan to explore far away destinations (e.g. Canberra).

Even the Blue Mountains are very easily reached by trains.

In Sydney, HOHO and ferries are the best way to explore the city.

Yes this is a real bummer. I am suprised since we will overnight here that Oceania is putting us in such a crummy place. Hope they have shuttles for us. :mad:

Yes this is a real bummer. I am suprised since we will overnight here that Oceania is putting us in such a crummy place. Hope they have shuttles for us. :mad:

Even getting to public transportation is a hassle. I hope O has shuttles but I think it would only be to the bus or train. We are very disappointed as well with this location vs the the quay site. However, Sydney is putting all ships that fit under the bridge here and leaving the other site for the larger ships.

After disembarking, we will be heading SW to Batemans Bay area to visit friends for a few days. There are no trains, so we will have to rent a car. Does anyone have any ideas as to the best place to pick up a rental? We will be schlepping luggage around, which does not make it easy to use public transport.

Once our luggage is dumped in our hotel room in Sydney, we will definitely be making use of a bus/ferry pass. I spent a year in Sydney as a young adult and plan to show DH around some of my favourite stomping grounds. The old house in Bondi is still standing. :)

Archived