Cancellation insurance

charlielinda

We just had to cancel the day before the cruise. Everything was covered except cost of insurance. Our cruise was the 25 th of Oct. We filed a week later and we just heard yesterday that we will get the remaining money back shortly. We got $500 back from Cruise line and 1500 from insurance. Cruise insurance was 300.

We are supposed to leave on Friday for cruise. May not be able to go due to eye surgery. Sitting at hospital now. We have insurance. What does it cover.

Depends on your specific policy. No one can answer your question definitively without knowing the specific terms of your policy. You have time to figure it out when you have your policy in hand. Best of luck with both the policy and (most of all) the surgery.

David

Hi, charlielinda, so sorry about your eye problems, especially right before your cruise! Unless there are pre-existing issues, you should have no trouble with trip cancellation provided your physician states it is medically inadvisable to cruise. Here is a PDF summary of Celebrity's travel protection plan that you can peruse until you have a chance to go home and get out your paperwork. I hope you have a good medical result and are able to go ahead with your cruise--this week or perhaps in the future.

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/cel_pdf/TermsConditions_Celebrity_Cruises_CruiseCare_07_29_13_LR.pdf

CharlieLinda- We also had to cancel- a B2B cruise this month (DH was hospitalized with pancreatitis- released a few hours after the ship sailed). We have trip insurance (not through X) and are now doing all the paperwork. I suggest that, if possible, you download the forms now, before you're released from the hospital, so that you can get the necessary signatures from the docs at the hospital when they make their rounds.

If you are able to sail, just throw away the forms!

Fees- our TA charged a $75 cancelation fee (for each part of the B2B). The port fees should be refunded by X (still waiting on them). We have already received refund of our shore excursions and beverage package upgrade (from X to the first credit card we used with them). Still waiting on the tips payment refund (select dining). For anything else, policies vary.

I hope you're doing better and are able to sail. If not, thankfully you have trip insurance. And there are many more cruises just waiting for you!

CharlieLinda- We also had to cancel- a B2B cruise this month (DH was hospitalized with pancreatitis- released a few hours after the ship sailed). We have trip insurance (not through X) and are now doing all the paperwork. I suggest that, if possible, you download the forms now, before you're released from the hospital, so that you can get the necessary signatures from the docs at the hospital when they make their rounds.

If you are able to sail, just throw away the forms!

Fees- our TA charged a $75 cancelation fee (for each part of the B2B). The port fees should be refunded by X (still waiting on them). We have already received refund of our shore excursions and beverage package upgrade (from X to the first credit card we used with them). Still waiting on the tips payment refund (select dining). For anything else, policies vary.

I hope you're doing better and are able to sail. If not, thankfully you have trip insurance. And there are many more cruises just waiting for you!

Pancreatitis can really screw up the insurance. My husband also landed up in hospital two years ago and never had another attack not even sure that was the problem. Bottom line his travel insurance shot way up for two years.

We are leaving today for the TA on the Eclipse Ontario Cruiser

Pancreatitis can really screw up the insurance. My husband also landed up in hospital two years ago and never had another attack not even sure that was the problem. Bottom line his travel insurance shot way up for two years.

We are leaving today for the TA on the Eclipse Ontario Cruiser

DH is much better and docs say he can cruise, so we just booked another cruise leaving 11/9. We decided to get insurance that doesn't have any pre-existing conditions exclusions; much more expensive! From now on, I think we'll have to read policies carefully to make sure they can't exclude us from coverage if something does go wrong!

In many cases, if you purchase your insurance within a certain window of making the first payment on the cruise, the insurance waives the pre existing condition clause. There are also policies that waive it no matter when you purchase (as long as before final payment) and you are considered medically fit to travel on the day you purchase.

You definitely need to read all the different exclusions and information when making an informed purchasing decision.

Glad to hear that your DH is over his illness and you're heading out shortly. Enjoy.

Archived