Road to Hana: where does it start gets challenging?

rainrain

We are considering driving to garden of Eden or maybe a little further along the bay to Keanae arboretuma along hana highway in maui. Is it going to be challenging driving to this point? We have seniors and child in the group and will be renting an SUV, but will consider other things to do if this is going to be too strenuous for them....would really appereciat if anyone who went on the road to Hana trip could share some experience regarding this part of the driving?

I would say it gets a bit more twisting halfway along.

We turned around and came back shortly after this half way point.

We are used to such drives where we live in Australia, so thought we were wasting a bit of time.

Great if you dont live by the ocean in your homeland.

We have done the trip several times, including driving all the way around Haleakala. 'Challenging' doesn't even begin until well past Hana. 'Curvy' does start around the Keanae area. When we didn't feel like going all the way around or even to Hana, we have stopped and had a picnic out on the Keanae peninsula. Fantastic view of the volcanic rock shoreline.

Thanks! We live in the great plains of Texas, therefore ocean is a real charm and makes us want to try it out with the road to hana. However I was reading somewhere that roads get very winding and twisting right out of the town of Haiku that made some people carsick, which scared me a little since we have grandparents and baby in the car. That I think is around 10 miles along the ROH. If it doesn't get bad until halfway, maybe it's still doable for the first 10/15 miles! We'll keep our eyes and minds open and turn around if it does get uncomfortable.

I would say it gets a bit more twisting halfway along.

We turned around and came back shortly after this half way point.

We are used to such drives where we live in Australia, so thought we were wasting a bit of time.

Great if you dont live by the ocean in your homeland.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience! Picnic on the Keanae peninsula sounds like a real delight! May I ask where would be a good place along Hana Highway to turn toward Haleakala National Park, and is the road curvy/twisting to get to the NP's visitor center and to the summit? I think my dad is interested in seeing the crater and I may wait with the baby at the visitor center if that's a doable route.

We have done the trip several times, including driving all the way around Haleakala. 'Challenging' doesn't even begin until well past Hana. 'Curvy' does start around the Keanae area. When we didn't feel like going all the way around or even to Hana, we have stopped and had a picnic out on the Keanae peninsula. Fantastic view of the volcanic rock shoreline.

rainrain - the Road to Hana goes around the base of Haleakala; you can do a full loop for the Road to Hana (although due to road conditions past Oheo Gulch, you'd probably want to turn back at Hana or Oheo Gulch and return the way you came.)

Since the only access to Haleakala summit is from roads close to Kahului, you would need to skip the RTH or just do a small portion of it and backtrack to Haleakala Hwy.

If your dad was to visit the summit, I think the wait at the lower visitor's centre would be too long for you and the baby. It takes about half an hour to get from the entrance (lower visitor's centre) to the summit and then with the return trip, plus sightseeing time - that would leave you & baby with an hour plus at a cold and windy spot with just a small visitor's centre to hang around in. I'm not sure there is even a place to sit in there. The upper visitor's centre and summit are at an elevation that might be a concern for altitude sickness for your little one.

Here's a map with directions from Kahului to Keanae Peninsula, Hana and Oheo Gulch. Oheo Gulch is another part of Haleakala National Park (at sea level, where the pools and Pipiwai Trail are.) There's no access to the summit from this area.

And here's a map with directions from Kahului to Haleakala National Park lower and upper visitor's centre. The summit is just a few minutes drive above the upper visitor's centre.

Edited by Susan-M

Thank you so much, Susan! This is so helpful. I'm very grateful for your kind advice. How about we all drive up to the summit, me and baby wait in the car while the rest of the party go out and take quick pictures? Does that sound more practical? I'll need to look into the high elevation issues for babies, and if that's not recommended for a 2 years old, we may have to think of something else.

Again with all our gratitude!

rainrain - the Road to Hana goes around the base of Haleakala; you can do a full loop for the Road to Hana (although due to road conditions past Oheo Gulch, you'd probably want to turn back at Hana or Oheo Gulch and return the way you came.)

Since the only access to Haleakala summit is from roads close to Kahului, you would need to skip the RTH or just do a small portion of it and backtrack to Haleakala Hwy.

If your dad was to visit the summit, I think the wait at the lower visitor's centre would be too long for you and the baby. It takes about half an hour to get from the entrance (lower visitor's centre) to the summit and then with the return trip, plus sightseeing time - that would leave you & baby with an hour plus at a cold and windy spot with just a small visitor's centre to hang around in. I'm not sure there is even a place to sit in there. The upper visitor's centre and summit are at an elevation that might be a concern for altitude sickness for your little one.

Here's a map with directions from Kahului to Keanae Peninsula, Hana and Oheo Gulch. Oheo Gulch is another part of Haleakala National Park (at sea level, where the pools and Pipiwai Trail are.) There's no access to the summit from this area.

And here's a map with directions from Kahului to Haleakala National Park lower and upper visitor's centre. The summit is just a few minutes drive above the upper visitor's centre.

You're welcome :)

If the elevation is a concern (and the switchback roads might be another concern with car sickness) would you consider splitting up that day? You and your husband & toddler could have a fun beach day and your parents could go up Haleakala.

We are considering driving to garden of Eden or maybe a little further along the bay to Keanae arboretuma along hana highway in maui. Is it going to be challenging driving to this point? We have seniors and child in the group and will be renting an SUV, but will consider other things to do if this is going to be too strenuous for them....would really appereciat if anyone who went on the road to Hana trip could share some experience regarding this part of the driving?

I was considering this drive but I read somewhere that rental companies contracts you sign will not allow you to drive your car past Kipahulu. You can go as far as Lindberg's grave.

I was considering this drive but I read somewhere that rental companies contracts you sign will not allow you to drive your car past Kipahulu. You can go as far as Lindberg's grave.

There's no specific mention in the rental contracts of the road past Kipahulu being prohibited, but there might be reference to unpaved roads being prohibited, and there are about 7 or 8 miles of unpaved road (plus another 10 of very bumpy asphalt road) along the south side of Haleakala.

You could turn around at Kipahulu and return the way you came instead of doing the full loop.

Here's a link to a map with three sections of roads marked as prohibited by rental car companies.

There's no specific mention in the rental contracts of the road past Kipahulu being prohibited, but there might be reference to unpaved roads being prohibited, and there are about 7 or 8 miles of unpaved road (plus another 10 of very bumpy asphalt road) along the south side of Haleakala.

You could turn around at Kipahulu and return the way you came instead of doing the full loop.

Here's a link to a map with three sections of roads marked as prohibited by rental car companies.

When we have done the full circle around Haleakaka in the past (2 different times) we just did a one day upgrade to an SUV and it was fine. Yes, there is a section that is unpaved and in spots narrow, but easily done in an SUV. I definitely would think twice about doing it in a regular car.

Most if not all of the major rental companies- do have restrictions and do not allow driving on unpaved roads. It is clearly noted in the small print of your contract.

There are always decisions to be made, but if you choose to ignore this, then you are subject to risks that you best are to be aware of. With any incident- these companies are always going to try and blame the rented. With GPS is a lot of cars- they know where you drove. Just make an informed decision and don't assume, nothing will happen.

Our rental car company (can't remember which one!) stated you couldn't do the Road to Hana.....we were in a van, and went anyway! Yes...some of the road is rough, and it's curvy, but I can't remember anything that was actually "strenuous" or could possibly make you carsick! Drive slower, if it's scary to you. We did not find it so.

It does take an entire day....having done it once, would not do it again, unless I ran out of other things to do!

There are two areas of concern for those planning to take a rental car the full way around the eastern end of Maui (continuation from the Road to Hana).

Issue #1: The car rental companies on Maui can be very strict about dings and scratches on the car upon return. If they think you've been on gravel roads, they will look even more closely for any evidence of damage. Be sure you document any pre-existing damage with the rental company before you leave the rental lot with the car.

Issue #2: It is VERY expensive to have your car towed from the "unimproved" section of the loop -- in the neighborhood of $600 just for the tow. The car companies will not come to rescue you. The wait for the tow can be several hours. Drive very carefully over the rougher parts of the road and consider bringing a can of "fix a flat" with you so that you can at least limp back to where you need to be.

Thanks! We live in the great plains of Texas, therefore ocean is a real charm and makes us want to try it out with the road to hana. However I was reading somewhere that roads get very winding and twisting right out of the town of Haiku that made some people carsick, which scared me a little since we have grandparents and baby in the car. That I think is around 10 miles along the ROH. If it doesn't get bad until halfway, maybe it's still doable for the first 10/15 miles! We'll keep our eyes and minds open and turn around if it does get uncomfortable.

The great thing about Hana highway is that there are SO many places to stop along the side of the road and just take in the view. If someone is getting a little queasy, just pull over for a bit!