Help.... am I getting cheated???

When a TA books a cruise, the port fees and taxes are broken out, because these are not part of the commissionable fare. On Carnival's website, the port fees (but not the taxes) are shown as included in the cruise fare. This is the discrepancy you're seeing.

Bottom line, if you want to book ES, direct is the best way. TA's don't like losing commission, and a lot of them will charge a fee to submit price drops.

As for the OP's situation, I didn't do the math, so I don't know how it breaks down in relation to Carnival's pricing, but I just wanted to explain the discrepancy in the fare breakdowns.

Thanks, I will do that next time, this time I will except the loss and use this experience as a learning lesson:)

Ok I'm back, the exact invoice from ta says I paid 811.20 total 420.00 cruise rate 366.21 port/taxes 24.99 processing fee

Carnival invoice states I paid 687 cruise rate 146 taxes/fees 30 obc

I paid off my cruise in sept and I had the es plan

Second cruise

Invoice ta 370 cruise rate 40 obc 295.34 tax/port fees 24.99 process fee total 730.33

Carnival invoice 568.00 cruise rate 97.34 tax total 665.34

The price has dropped but ta says I'm not entitled to the drop because my cruise rate is cheaper than carnivals rate

I've never used a ta and I'm confused, they refuse to let me speak with a supervisor. I lucked out by calling the 800 # and speaking to a different agent and was able to get my price adjusted and 30 obc on the first cruise after trying for a month. But that doesn't even show on the ta invoice only carnivals

Maybe i am reading wrong, but it seems like the rate you payed the TA is higher due to OBC and process fee ($64.99 Total). If you take the process fee and OBC out the rate is the same as Carnival quotes....If they adjusted the price, you would lose OBC which would result in a higher rate.

Edited by hscbaseball15

Maybe i am reading wrong, but it seems like the rate you payed the TA is higher due to OBC and process fee ($64.99 Total). If you take the process fee and OBC out the rate is the same as Carnival quotes....If they adjusted the price, you would lose OBC which would result in a higher rate.

To me it looks like I paid ta more but I don't know, I'm very very confused and I accept that I made a huge mistake no more ta for me. I went through an agent because I didn't know I could make payments if I went directly through carnival, I've always paid in full at time of booking with hal and princess so I didn't know payments were an option. Im learning:) I also never received any obc or es or any other perk .,.,So yes, im learning !if you don't know better you can't do better! I'm just happy to be cruising again at this point, I paid around 1500 for 5 people for a 4 night cruise so I am grateful, I spend much more on my vacs so I'm getting a break!

Ok I'm back, the exact invoice from ta says I paid 811.20 total 420.00 cruise rate 366.21 port/taxes 24.99 processing fee

Carnival invoice states I paid 687 cruise rate 146 taxes/fees 30 obc

I paid off my cruise in sept and I had the es plan

Second cruise

Invoice ta 370 cruise rate 40 obc 295.34 tax/port fees 24.99 process fee total 730.33

Carnival invoice 568.00 cruise rate 97.34 tax total 665.34

The price has dropped but ta says I'm not entitled to the drop because my cruise rate is cheaper than carnivals rate

I've never used a ta and I'm confused, they refuse to let me speak with a supervisor. I lucked out by calling the 800 # and speaking to a different agent and was able to get my price adjusted and 30 obc on the first cruise after trying for a month. But that doesn't even show on the ta invoice only carnivals

First of all. There is nothing wrong with booking through a TA. But you do it with a TA that ONLY does cruises and one that does not charge you any fee at all for ANY reason.

Lets work on the 2nd cabin

You need to match up the same category to that $568 rate + $97.34 tax on Carnival's website. If it's less, you are certainly eligible for a OBC. Expect to lose the TA's OBC

What Category are you in?

If you really think you are being cheated call Carnival and ask them to set up a 3 way call with you, Carnival and the TA. If the TA is being dishonest it will come out. Also, if the TA refuses to cooperate and get on the call, then Carnival will help you out. Perhaps between Carnival and the TA they can explain it to you. You could possibly have been put into a group, have pre-paid gratuities etc. The invoices sent to guests have things broken down differently than the TA copy and your TA should take the time to explain it.

For this reason I will never book with a travel agent again.On my last cruise I booked ES and missed several price drops due to TA finally I started submitting forms on my own with explanation once received they would contact my TA and notify them of change in my rate and I would receive e mail ...

Inside cabin and I only received obc because I called in when I saw the price drop on carnivals website. I think they are losing commission and that is why they continue to lie about what I actually paid for my cruise

I'm not seeing a lower rate on the website. You can't price match to a guarantee.

Your TA isn't telling you anything wrong

Edited by SeaUs

I'm not seeing a lower rate on the website. You can't price match to a guarantee.

Your TA isn't telling you anything wrong

As close as I can figure, the actual rates are very close to really being the same, just totally different formats.

When I started cruising, I booked with a booking fee and didn't even know it till checkout. I'll not do that again when I can save that extra expense by booking with someone else fee free. (I can talk and know how to type now:D)

As close as I can figure, the actual rates are very close to really being the same, just totally different formats.

When I started cruising, I booked with a booking fee and didn't even know it till checkout. I'll not do that again when I can save that extra expense by booking with someone else fee free. (I can talk and know how to type now:D)

Looks like a lot more actually because I don't think you can use easy saver as a price drop.

OP is paying $284pp and now except for Super saver, it's a lot more

• 2 weeks later...
Did you pay with a credit card? Hopefully your statement shows a payment to Carnival Cruise Lines and not to the agency itself. The agency can only pay Carnival what is due that way.

Caligirl, this is sound advice. Please check your credit card statement.

I don't understand by people use TAs for simple things like booking a cruise. Why add a middle man? With the internet it is beyond simple to make your own booking and do your own research. The internet is the most powerful and all-knowing TA. Situations like this keep popping up on this forum of TAs that don't want to lose their meager commision so they try to cheat the cruiser.