Miami - Must do for first timers?

Travel_Lover28

Post cruise, day and half in Miami.

This is our first time in Miami. My family will be staying in South Beach near Lincoln Rd. With just one day, what is a must see/do in Miami? Staying by the beach was for the young adults in the family. What would the older adults enjoy doing? Thinking of something my mother (70 yrs) would enjoy or the whole family would enjoy together. Still contemplating in renting a car. Overnight parking is ridiculous ($28) + rental car is ~ $150 for day and half with insurance (already have own insurance but scared not to take additional coverage, any comments on this?). Any suggested tours and must do?

with insurance (already have own insurance but scared not to take additional coverage, any comments on this?).

If you have full coverage on your personal auto policy, there is no need to get insurance through the rental agency. If you only have liability, then I would call your insurance company and have them add full coverage to the lowest rated vehicle on your policy (prior to your departure) & then remove after you return home. You will pay just a few dollars for this vs. paying for the coverage through the rental agency.

If you have full coverage on your personal auto policy, there is no need to get insurance through the rental agency. If you only have liability, then I would call your insurance company and have them add full coverage to the lowest rated vehicle on your policy (prior to your departure) & then remove after you return home. You will pay just a few dollars for this vs. paying for the coverage through the rental agency.

Yes, I have full coverage. I also heard that some credit card companies also have some secondary coverage. I always want all basis covered. The car rental companies always gives to this speech that almost seem to scare you into buying added insurance.

I think all ages would enjoy the boat tour of Millionaire Row that leaves from Bayside Marina.

I know our family loved it!

This tour was one my choices that I think my mother would enjoy. What do you think of the Duck Tours which I think does land and harbor tour? I think it passes thru Millionaire Row, also.

Yes, I have full coverage. I also heard that some credit card companies also have some secondary coverage. I always want all basis covered. The car rental companies always gives to this speech that almost seem to scare you into buying added insurance.

That's because they make money off you every time you purchase their insurance.

Yes, some CC companies do offer this, so check with your and see if they do. I have 20 years of insurance experience (my career), so since you already have full coverage, you are completely covered in your rental. No need to buy their coverage too.

Afternoon mojitos by the pool at The Delano. The hotel that started it all in South Beach. Agree with the boat tour. If you can pick it up in South Beach, don't get a rental.

Cuban dinner at Puerto Sagu or Davids or Haitian at Tap Tap.

This tour was one my choices that I think my mother would enjoy. What do you think of the Duck Tours which I think does land and harbor tour? I think it passes thru Millionaire Row, also.

No experience with the Duck Tours here.....but would love to hear what others thought of it!

How much apprx from MIA to South Beach and South Beach to the port please?

Not famialar with South Beach nice, safe, reasonable hotels - without breaking the bank?

Also what else is there other then the beach/hotels?

From MIA to SB a taxi will cost about $32+tip, or you can ride the Airport Flyer bus for $2.35 each! ;)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34439-i35-k5899291-2_35_AIRPORT_FLYER_bus_service_to_South_Beach-Miami_Beach_Florida.html

From SB to POM a cab will cost about $15+tip, depending upon where your hotel is located -- the farther north your hotel is located, the farther away from POM you will be.

South Beach is the Miami you see in the movies and various TV shows -- hotels there are smaller and older and prices during tourist season (especially Jan-Easter) can be EXPENSIVE! :eek: Off season there are deals to be had. Search trip adviser and oyster dot com for hotels and tourist suggestions: Dining, nightlife, shopping, people watching, museums, art galleries, etc., (and a world famous beach!).

Good luck! :)

Archived