time zone ?-ship time vs. Grand Cayman time

boilermaker330

We will be traveling on Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas, departing from New Orleans in April. We will be arriving in Grand Cayman on April 2. The ship is in port from 7-3. I have read that Grand Cayman stays on Eastern Standard Time. Will the ship time and port time be the same or different? I am getting more and more confused as I try to figure this out! I booked an excursion from 9:15-2:30 and want to make sure we don't miss the last tender to the ship.

when you leave the ship for the day, set your watch....not your cell phone!...to ship's time...there are clocks at every exit....and you will NOt MISS THE SHIP!

Local time shouldn't matter to you one little bit...as long as your WATCH is set to ship's time!

Sometimes, the time will change...sometimes, it doesn't. And, it really doesn't matter!

Bring a watch! The last tender will be 30 mins. prior to sailaway time.....as long as you are in line, they'll get you back to the ship!

Edited by cb at sea

• 1 year later...
when you leave the ship for the day, set your watch....not your cell phone!...to ship's time...there are clocks at every exit....and you will NOt MISS THE SHIP!

Local time shouldn't matter to you one little bit...as long as your WATCH is set to ship's time!

Sometimes, the time will change...sometimes, it doesn't. And, it really doesn't matter!

Bring a watch! The last tender will be 30 mins. prior to sailaway time.....as long as you are in line, they'll get you back to the ship!

Well I have the same question. The independent tour that I am looking at goes from 9 AM - 2:15PM local time and if the ship doesn't turn the clock back one hour - the excursion will actually end at 3:15 PM (ship time and only 15 minutes before departure) :eek:

True, I will know there is a problem before I leave the ship and can simple not show up for the excursion but it would be nice to know that now so I can cancel it. So, how do you figure that it doesn't matter?

LEtue, when is your trip and where does it leave from? Cayman stays on Eastern Standard Time all year long.

The easy summary - During the winter, Cayman is the same time as Miami (Eastern). During the summer, Cayman is the same time as New Orleans (Central).

To find out if your ship stays on departure port time or switches at each port, the easiest way is to post in the appropriate cruise line forum with details of ship and itinerary, and see if someone else took that cruise recently. You can also contact the cruise line, but I find Cruise Critic to be faster and more reliable... :-)