NYC Marathon this Sunday

meatball_nyc

What time would you suggest I leave on Sunday? I would like to get there at 10. I live in New Jersey at exit 109 and usually it's an easy hour on a Sunday so I would leave at 9. So this Sunday, what time should I leave.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just a heads up for anyone cruising out of NYC. Plan extra time to get to Pier 88. Happy sailing everyone!!!

~robin & Brian

My daughter is running in this year's New York Marathon :D

I wish her luck, her goal is to finish :) She has only run 1/2 marathon's up to this point. All of them for charity.

:D :)

My daughter is running in this year's New York Marathon :D

I wish her luck, her goal is to finish :) She has only run 1/2 marathon's up to this point. All of them for charity.

:D :)

Good luck to your daughter!! :)

It seems as though there is always some type of large event or marathon happening in. NYC!!

... I would like to get there at 10. I live in New Jersey at exit 109 and usually it's an easy hour on a Sunday so I would leave at 9. So this Sunday, what time should I leave

GSP Exit 109, correct - that's close enough & easy to zip up to the Lincoln Tunnel & a few turns to Pier 88. Traffic coming from points west of the city should not be significantly impacted by the NYC Marathon.

FYI for others sailing this weekend, do expect extra security & screening measures if using the trains, subways carrying backpacks, suitcases & luggages - given the Boston incident earlier this year (also, first responders have been running MCI drills on what if's)

Queens Midtown Tunnel will be affected & definitely avoid the 59th Street/Ed Koch Bridge, and to a lesser degree - the RJK / Triborough Bridge if coming from LGA (or JFK) on an inbound flight. Lower East River crossings including the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel should be relatively smooth. The Central Park finish line is miles away from the West Side Pier - not to worry.

Yellow taxi & car service drivers do not like getting "trapped" in snail traffic due to the marathon, so they will do their best if anyone is using them to get to/from the pier. Out-of-town drivers, tune your AM radio to 880 or 1010 for updated traffic on the 8's or the 1's every 10 minute - they will alert you to any last minute bottlenecks so that you can go around it.

It's Day Savings Time this Sunday morning so everyone get an extra hour of zzzz's at 2 AM. Happy cruising !

Just found out there is also a Jets game at 1 does anyone think that should affect us?

jeez, with all this going on I wonder if we'll leave on time at 3:00pm. I'm sure someone is going to get stuck in traffic, i.e., coming from LGA for JFK and getting into Marathon traffic - and those of us coming from New Jersey going to the Lincoln Tunnel in and around Metlife Stadium.

If anyone has experience driving north on the Turnpike to the Lincoln Tunnel around 10:00am or so, please let us know! :eek:

FYI for others sailing this weekend, do expect extra security & screening measures if using the trains, subways carrying backpacks, suitcases & luggages - given the Boston incident earlier this year (also, first responders have been running MCI drills on what if's)

I didn't even think of that, too! :eek:

What time would you suggest I leave on Sunday? I would like to get there at 10. I live in New Jersey at exit 109 and usually it's an easy hour on a Sunday so I would leave at 9. So this Sunday, what time should I leave.

Just found out there is also a Jets game at 1 does anyone think that should affect us?

Neither should have any significant effect on your travel time. Presumably you're taking the GSP, NJ Turnpike and Lincoln Tunnel.

The marathon route goes nowhere near the far west side of Manhattan, and we've driven to the port several times on Sunday mornings when Jets or Giants games are being played in the afternoon and they will not have an effect on Lincoln Tunnel traffic...because you're traveling away from the stadium at Turnpike exit 16E.

Archived