Your FAVORITE food item on an NCL ship

jp2001

I think my favorites are the things you can't get on other cruise lines

The lobster from Teppenyaki would be at the top of the list because it is cooked perfectly

Pretzel rolls

wings

The last 2 are things are 'comfort' food....nothing special, but you can't get those on other lines and nothing is as good as those wings after coming back from a long day in port.

I've not gotten to enjoy a meal at LeBistro yet,

Oh, you need to. It's pretty much excellent!!!!

Edited by halos

decisions decisions

I also have to list and agree with some of the posters that have mentioned some of these already

Carlos bakery on breakaway got a recent vote from me

Le Bistro - french onion soup and the chocolate napolean

Cagneys - the lamb chops

The chicken wings - yum

Moderno well I love most of it - although I have to say that I love the salad bar in there too

The Muesli at the buffet! Please, does someone know how I can make this at home? YUM!

The Spring Rolls, so spicy cold and refreshingingly crisp.

The coconut ice cream, you can't get that in your local freezer section.

The crepes, especially on the Sun, where they also had a fondue station with it. Crepes made with the chocolate fondue sauce are to die for. Sadly, the Breakaway had no fondue sauce.

The lamb I had in a specialty restaurant, finger lickin' good.

The Breakaway's Sabrett hotdog cart.

Anything Indian.

The apple margarita at the Margarita tasting...

You can find muesli in the health food cereal section of your market.

If theres ONE thing that I look forward to on my cruise.. and its going to sound silly.. is the Meusli at the breakfast buffet. Ive tried to make it at home, and its just not the same.

There was a dessert on the Pride that Ive never seen again that we always look for. It was called a chocolate mousse dome. It was moussey inside with a chocolate coating outside. Soooo good! I hope it turns up again someday..

I love the meusli too. Especially in Cagneys:D

Pretzel rolls -- morning, noon and night! -- from the buffet!!!

I walk by the buffet all day long just to grab the pretzel rolls...

anything served in moderno...

Chicken wings at the sports bar on the sun or blue laggon.

crepes-buffet desert

hard ice cream from the ice cream bar

the mushroom quesadia from the MDR appitzer

lobster MDR was very good

cheesecake from sports bar or blue lagon

5$ pizza very good!

club sandwich lunch MDR

philly cheese lunch MDR

There are many great things in Blue Lagoon - too hard to name just one. I love the pretzel rolls. So good with just butter, but split the long ones lengthwise and use it like a hotdog bun or the little round ones make great little sliders deli sandwiches. I typically have quite the sweet tooth but I've mostly been disappointed with the desserts. Exceptions are ice cream, crepes in the buffet, creme brulee where ever you can find it, and we had a really good brownie sundae in the Blue Lagoon. Oh, I forgot about the carrot cake in Cagney's at lunch. I've enjoyed the lamb in the MDR, and the lobster tails were surprisingly good even if they are small.

I've not gotten to enjoy a meal at LeBistro yet, but I've got a list of things to try there!

This thread sure hit the spot and brought back some great memories. Discovered the Pretzel rolls on our Gem cruise last year and loved them. Then this summer it seems like a bunch of food chains came out with sandwiches made with them (Wendys, Sonic, Ruby Tuesdays, etc). Did they all have executives sailing NCL? Also, regarding favorite foods many are very good but I love the made to order crepes. Finally I must mention being very disappointed in the food on our Sept cruise on RCCL after having cruised the Gem a few months before.

where are these pretzel rolls?! I've been on 4 NCL cruises and never seen nor heard of them.

My favs are definitely

-fried mushrooms in MDR

-mushroom ravioli in MDR

-spring rolls in MDR

-calamari in la cucina

-fries at cagneys

-egg rolls in the asian restaurant

-french onion soup in le bistro was AMAZING

OH and there was AWESOME ribs outside at the BBQ on a sea day.

where are these pretzel rolls?! I've been on 4 NCL cruises and never seen nor heard of them.

My favs are definitely

-fried mushrooms in MDR

-mushroom ravioli in MDR

-spring rolls in MDR

-calamari in la cucina

-fries at cagneys

-egg rolls in the asian restaurant

-french onion soup in le bistro was AMAZING

OH and there was AWESOME ribs outside at the BBQ on a sea day.

buffet area there everyday

Cagneys - Filet Mignon & Raspberry Crème Brulee

MDR dessert - warm bread pudding

Blue Lagoon - Brownie Sundae (only available at lunch, but you can get the makings from room service)

Buffet breakfast - eggs benedict

Buffet Lunch - creating my own Chinese soup, Macadamia Brittle & Coconut Ice Creams (I can't pick just one), flourless chocolate cake

Buffet dinner - choc chip & oatmeal raisin cooookies (also available at the Great Outdoors when open)

Moderno - Lamb and Dessert Pineapple

After reading this over, I seem to have a tendency for the sweets... Oh so yummy!!!

What a fun thread, thanks for starting it.

MDR Entrée - Salmon or Fried Cod

MDR Dessert - Tira Misu Cake

SR Appetizer - Le Bistro Cream of Mushroom soup, almost as good as my mamas

SR Main dish - Lobster at Tepenyaki - cooked in butter no soy sauce. So yummy.

SR Dessert - Le Bistro - Vanilla Crème Brulee

Other - Pretzel rolls, chocolate croissants

I eat breakfast and lunch in the Suite venue and my faves are: Eggs benedict, crab benedict for breakfast and I loved the salad with hears of palm at lunch. I had it almost every day! I also enjoyed the kosher chicken.

Also, great memories and great food at Chef's Table and Moderno.

The Haven restaurants are fantastic!!

Funny that you should mention the breakfast there - on the Breakaway one morning DH was having trouble deciding between the eggs benedict and the steak and eggs. The server said he'd bring the eggs benedict with the steak. :eek:

THAT would now be DH's favorite meal in the Haven restaurant! ;) :D

The Haven restaurants are fantastic!!

Funny that you should mention the breakfast there - on the Breakaway one morning DH was having trouble deciding between the eggs benedict and the steak and eggs. The server said he'd bring the eggs benedict with the steak. :eek:

THAT would now be DH's favorite meal in the Haven restaurant! ;) :D

Sounds like a winner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Will be on the Epic on 11/23. Can't wait for the muesli. I get up earlier than DH, go for a walk on the ship and stop in the buffet for a prebreakfast of muesli and coffee. Can't beat it.

I too have tried it at home and it is not the same.

I would like to know what is your FAVORITE food item on an NCL cruise. It's fun to know and might help me decide what to have at each of the venues.

Please keep it as a simple list and you are not limited to only one selection, but MAX one selection for each of those categories.

Main DR appetizer

Main DR main dish

Main DR dessert

Specialty Restaurant appetizer

Specialty Restaurant main dish

Specialty Restaurant dessert

Buffet main dish

Buffet side item

Buffet dessert

Other - main dish

Other - side item

Other - dessert

Bar - beer

Bar - cocktail

Bar - wine

Thanks!!!

DH's favorite Le Bistro appetizer: escargot. He even ordered a double one for dessert! Miya favorite was the mushroom soup.

Favorite entree: prime rib and of course surf n turf.

Favorite dessert: mine was warm bread & butter pudding or, in Le Bistro it was a toss up between profiteroles and ganache.

As said, they are available in buffet (and great outdoors if present) every day, just look for darkish brown rolls or about an inch or two wide sticks with rough sea salt sprinkles on them.

Here are images of both (found from reviews on this site via Google Image search, kudos for the member who took them).

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/johnql/Gem%20Cruise%20Jan%202012/Ship%20and%20cabin/IMG_4340.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/johnql/Jewel%20Trans-Atlantic%202009/Jewel%20TA%202009%20Food%20and%20Menus/PR.jpg

Edited by Demonyte

It's a while since I cruised NCL so all memories are MDR related

Starter-Clam Chowder

Main- Beef Wellington

Dessert-Crepe Souflee.

Going on 1 night on Breakawy though can't wait!Any recommendations as whicch restaurant is a must go to?Pity it's only 1 night!!

This thread sure hit the spot and brought back some great memories. Discovered the Pretzel rolls on our Gem cruise last year and loved them. Then this summer it seems like a bunch of food chains came out with sandwiches made with them (Wendys, Sonic, Ruby Tuesdays, etc). Did they all have executives sailing NCL?

Pretzel rolls are also a very popular at a couple of restaurants at Epcot in WDW.

Loving this thread! Getting lots of ideas for my cruise in 4 days!!