Custom and Practice on Tipping for Included Excursions

georg0

Jackie,

I have not heard any guide in any of my visits to Viet Nam say anything anti-American. My first visit was in 1995 and the last one in 2012. You should not be concerned.

From a somewhat cynical stand point, why would they want to insult a large group of tourists who bring a great deal of money to their country?

You'll enjoy your time there.

Peggy

Peggy, You are so right about offending, but I think after several guides including one all day in Halong Bay that they enjoy interacting with Americans.

We never heard an anti-American comment. We definitely heard anti-communist comments when in private opportunities.

Jackie, one of the big issues is the re-education camps for Vietnamese who worked with the Americans. In all of our encounters the anger was not with the Americans but with the North Vietnamese who split families and basically took revenge by re-educating for 2-3 years or more. Maybe I am naïve and they only said what they thought we wanted to hear; but, I'm not buying that because of private opportunities to talk with educated people.

Peggy, You are so right about offending, but I think after several guides including one all day in Halong Bay that they enjoy interacting with Americans.

We never heard an anti-American comment. We definitely heard anti-communist comments when in private opportunities.

Jackie, one of the big issues is the re-education camps for Vietnamese who worked with the Americans. In all of our encounters the anger was not with the Americans but with the North Vietnamese who split families and basically took revenge by re-educating for 2-3 years or more. Maybe I am naïve and they only said what they thought we wanted to hear; but, I'm not buying that because of private opportunities to talk with educated people.

But I don't think that I will be wearing my USAF Retiree cap on the cruise.

Was on a Regent cruise in 2010. Included stops in Vietnam. Tour guides were very informative. Would conversate about past history without any anti American comments. Where did these concerns come from? In my observations, it was the Americans with the attitude. The majority of the population in Nam have gotten over their misfortunes from past history. Unfortunately some still blame these people for ours. Your concerns are over exaggerated.

The only anti-American remarks that I have heard were from a guide in Moscow. Very derogatory(everything that has gone wrong in Russia was our fault) & we were on a bus, so no way to avoid the situation.

TC – I visited VietNam for the first time in 2002. I travelled alone except for a guide and driver. I toured the south and then my guide put me on a plane to Danang where I was met by another guide and driver and after a few days I flew north to Hanoi. Another guide and driver took over. It was an amazing trip. Although I am Canadian I looked American and let it pass when referred to that way. I had local people ask if they could have their photos taken with me, mainly because I am a blonde. The guides talked about the American war but never in a derogatory way. You will be shown the place where Sen McCain was captured but there is no bragging. I noticed a subtle difference in attitude in the different areas but the attitude was aimed at the different areas of the country, not at Americans. From Hanoi I went up into the mountains near the border of China and visited the tribal people. That was an amazing experience. In all parts of the country there is great pride in their private homes. Their homes may look primitive to us but to the local people they are wonderful and visitors should treat them accordingly.

Travel is made up of such wonderful experiences that remain with you for years. My guide in the south took me to his father’s home. His father had been a doctor but after the South fell he could no longer practice and became a farmer. He was a delightful man. Vietnamese people are of small stature. I am fairly tall. His father had garden furniture set out but all the chairs were very small. He looked at me and with a smile picked up one of the chairs and disappeared. Without saying a word a “normal” size chair suddenly appeared. At no time did I feel uncomfortable travelling on my own. My guides and drivers were always very protective.

I returned to VN in 2008 while on a cruise on the Mariner. My experiences this time were still good but slightly different as I was now with a group. I had wondered if the country had changed in six years but if it had it was not noticeable to a tourist. I think you will enjoy yourself.

Threechicks, glad you are doing well. We haven't been to Vietnam, but want to go in the future.

Truly, the only anti-American comments I have encountered in all our travels were from a Romanian cab driver in Vienna. That guy was a true communist and hated America to the core. He really made me feel a little scared.

I avoid tours that have too much 'free time" because I figure it's shopping stops. If I really want to join that tour I stay on the bus or find a nearby bench to people watch but much rather get back to the ship - especially if it's interfering with lunch time. (I haven't starved yet!)

I avoid tours that have too much 'free time" because I figure it's shopping stops. If I really want to join that tour I stay on the bus or find a nearby bench to people watch but much rather get back to the ship - especially if it's interfering with lunch time. (I haven't starved yet!)

Glad to know that we are not the only ones who adopt this as a general policy!;)

• 2 weeks later...

We are currently on the Voyager, about to start our second segment. I have only been traveling on Regent since 2010, but Mom has done so since it was Radisson. We are shocked at some of the passengers on board, esp the rudeness. The guides on the bus are trying to talk, and other passengers will not shut up, with answers such as "I paid to be on this bus and I can do whatever I want", etc. And then the tour guide gets blamed for a poor tour because it was difficult to hear her over everyone else talking. We almost always tip, more so for a great tour. On this cruise segment, we have been on two excellent tours where we were the only one to tip. We actually had a passenger approach us and ask us why we tip because according to him, we are training the guide to "be lazy" if she is going to expect tips. We have especially noticed that the most demanding travelers who need special assistance from the guide are the least likely to tip.

In the summer we travel with my nephews who are 12 and 14 years old. We have trained them to not only tip for good service (not automatically, but to show gratitude and appreciation for services that benefited them), but to actually verbally thank both the guide and the driver - everyone is shocked when they see this. Funny thing is, last year at the end of the flight home, the captain came out to talk to the boys (and give them really cool mementos) because the flight attendants had mentioned to him how well mannered and behaved their were and as he was talking to them, the younger one turned around and asked me if he should tip him!

No matter how well educated or trained, in general tour guides are paid very little, sometimes only their tips. I know a Turkish graduate student at Yale who is a certified guide that works in the summer to help with his expenses. Although he works for one of the top companies and works almost everyday during the summer, his tips account for 80% of his total summer income and are barely enough to cover living expenses in New Haven for one semester. He mentioned to me that his father did the same thing in the 80's and at that time, tourists were much more generous with their tips than they are today. The reason there are so many people who want the job is due to the economy - people need money and are looking anywhere they can to earn a living. He has also mentioned that he tried to avoid the highest end of the tour spectrum because he claims that the tips are meager compared to tourists taking run of the mill tours. This agrees with what I see on Regent - I have taken many trips in my life and I have noticed that travelers on the high end, i.e., Regent, Crystal, A&K tip less frequently than other travelers.

I have a client in NYC who is fluent in five languages and works as a tour guide when she can get the work - lots of people out there with the same skill sets. She is paid approximately $12.00 per hour from the tour companies and the rest is tips which depend on the country people are visiting from. She does do private tours for both corporate clients and individuals which pay much more and usually there is no tip but these jobs are not as frequent as before 2008.

gnomie :)

Sad, but there are alway ignomaruses on board. Let's hope they get off in Singapore so you can enjoy the next segment. I repeat my view that guides and drivers should always be tipped if they do a good job, they are always paid on the basis that they get good tips, like waiters in the U.S.

Some of us boarding in Singapore are nice:) we are currently in Hong Kong waiting for flight to Singapore. I have a lot of opinions about Regent excursions but prefer to discuss them in person. If you have time a few of us are meeting on Monday morning @ 11:00 am on the port side on the Observation Lounge (far left corner) just to meet and chat. Hope to meet you there

gnomie, It is refreshing to see a post such as yours that understands both the karma as well as the economics of tipping. To me special service should be rewarded with extra remuneration either on board or on a tour. Not everyone agrees, so be it.

Your comments about those who require extra attention and then do nothing about it ring all to true. Wonder what they would like, or be like, if they were providing the help:confused:

gnomie, It is refreshing to see a post such as yours that understands both the karma as well as the economics of tipping. To me special service should be rewarded with extra remuneration either on board or on a tour. Not everyone agrees, so be it.

While I feel we are pretty easy to please, I have at times cringed at some of the whining and comments directed at and about the people who are looking after us. I do hope the karma thing is valid. On a couple of occasions I have had no problem speaking up as I don't like bullies and know it all types.

Your comments about those who require extra attention and then do nothing about it ring all to true. Wonder what they would like, or be like, if they were providing the help:confused:

I don't mind that you disagree with me about tipping onboard Regent but the "karma" bit is uncalled for. So, guests on Regent can treat the crew like crap and make unkind comments on CC but as long as you've u tip it's fine? Give me a break!

BTW, we are giving a small gift to every crew member on the ship plus a gift to our butler and stewardess for Christmas. I would not have mentioned it if it were not for harsh comments!!!!!!!

Edited by Travelcat2

Jacquie, I'm sorry you feel my comments about karma apply to you. Please do not be so defensive. The issue here is do we help assistants who make our vacations terrific; or do we say thanks but no more?

Let's discuss karma, where do you see me saying treat crew like crap? I have NEVER dissed crew on CC. My suggestion is you have more facts at your disposal before you respond in your last mode. I had hoped you were calming down. Obviously not.

Carly Simon sang a song to her ex husband dealing with what was not intended in this situation. Its name was "YOUR SO VAIN" The key line was "you obviously think this song is about you" it was, but my post was not about you!