Alaska

Alaska = unpredictability. Generally it's going to be cool, especially at night and on decks with the wind. An average would be mid to upper 60's in the daytime with lows in the upper 40's to lower 50's at night.

Obviously it could also be exceptionally cool or exceptionally warm. I would "plan" to bring long pants for Alaska. Of course watch the weather forecast for your ports of call as you get closer to your sail date, you can always change to capri's if the weather looks favorable.

You will typically want to be in long pants, but there may be a day or two in port that is warm enough for capris. I typically wore long pants, flats, and a light cardigan and was comfortable. But, as the previous poster mentioned-Alaska can be very unpredictable. You will also need a heavier jacket and a pair of good shoes as well. Some people go all out and take full rain gear, but we were just fine with our jackets.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Hey you Alaska cruisers, Can you tell me about the weather first week of June. Should we take all long pants or is it warm enough on ship for capris?

Hi Bobbiejean!

We sailed to Alaska June 7th this year. We packed for the best of both worlds. We had warm clothing including gloves raincoats and even down parkas. We didn't use any of them! Alaska was in a heat wave! The best advise is to bring layers. This is a hard one to pack for. Good luck!

We were there in late July/ early August this year. It was so hot for the whole week that the only time we had long pants on was to go for dinner. No rain either. The weather was unbelievable.

LOL - and we've been there in mid-August and it rained nearly every day (in fact, on one boat trip to see wildlife, the local guide literally stopped talking so she could look outside as the sun had come out for the first time in weeks and she was excited to see it). Wore long pants and a parka every day and, of course, on "glacier" day, it was fleece pants, earmuffs and gloves all the way. I'd say be prepared for all kinds of weather and think layers.

On our Sept. trip the only time I felt a little cold was on glacier day (but I am warm natured anyways so don't get cold hardly). I was prepared for anything but I could've worn shorts most every day. It was gorgeous. That said, Be Prepared is the scout motto for a good reason.

Just have a broad range of warm to cold wear and the most important piece of clothing will most likely be rain coat or jacket with hood. I would probably advise not to over load your cases with heavy jackets etc. Light layering is sufficient. A fleece was good for our glacier day with rain gear over. I so wish I were going with you!:D

We took a trip the second week of June and I checked the weather religiously the week before. It was supposed to have been in the 50s and 60s. We are in Texas and let me say that 50s and 60s in Alaska versus here, are waaaay different. Definitely much colder there. Bring sweaters and a jacket for sure. When we went to Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Bay, we froze. Super cold there. Skagway was also in the 40s. It had snowed the week before.

I know Alaska. You prepare for everything no matter when you are there. You bring jeans, capris, and shorts. Also bring layers - fleece, rain jacket, waterproof shoes, mitts, and an umbrella. Always. ;)

...taking notes..... :D

Archived