NCL "Broke-away" from Customer Service on the Breakaway

setsail1975

How can you be given an expected time for dinner? It all depends on when other guests choose to leave no one has a crystal ball. As for the room steward, they have many rooms to clean and I am sure id you had asked for your room to be cleaned early she would have done it, and really you think they are not allowed to talk to each other in the corridor. Your workplace must be an extremely quiet environment if you expect the same standards of others as your self no talking while you work please, really !

If you look for fault you can always find something to moan about but your issues are in my opinion nothing to moan about at all.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wow, it's been awhile since I've been on this forum and honestly I am surprised at the "tone" from some of the posters. I'm not sure what purpose it serves to pick at the OP for taking the time to share what is in their opinion an honest review of the breakaway. Isn't this one of the purposes of this forum - to share and discuss? To the OP, I am sorry your cruise had it's disappointments, but I do appreciate your review and hope you let the NCL management know about your experience. Please don't let the "mean spirited" comments keep you from sharing your opinions. There are those of us, that greatly appreciate reading reviews and value hearing both the good and bad.

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts down about your cruise. It is much appreciated. We have not cruised much (just 3 so far) but we both feel that the smaller ships are where we want to stay. Seems so much more personal. So I understand and thank you for your review

The fact that people are trying to discount, and debate your review/experience is completely ridiculous. I am sorry some people are so rude. Regardless if I agree with you or not, I very much APPRECIATE your review. Reviews are opinions based on your experience. We all have opinions and they are all different. I am sorry your experience on the Breakaway was less than perfect. Makes me weary of my upcoming Breakaway cruise.

Again, thanks for the review :).

Hi setsail. I don't post much, but read a lot of reviews, especially Breakaway, as we are sailing on her in 2 1/2 weeks. I don't think anyone can dispute your experience and how the issues made you feel. However, for me anyone, I think when a reviewer makes statements that seem unreasonable, I don't give as much credence to the validity of their experience. I have been to GSC (long time ago on Norway), different captains & different lines have different policies. Personally, I would question RCL for choosing to tender. Fortunately it turned out ok, but could have easily been a problem. Or perhaps their tenders do a better job against the rough seas, you never know.

The MDR menus on RCL have mainstays with other items changing daily. I have seen the Breakaway daily menus, someone posted them, they change daily with mainstays consistent.

I've never had an issue with my cabin being made up promptly, but had one that was never around when I needed something. This lack in service was reflected in their tip. You can adjust the service charge.

I know sometimes when we have a bad experience it colors everything else and when you look back on it later, it may not seem as horrible as it did at the time.

I hope you can sail sometime soon on a ship that meets your expectations and have a memorable positive trip.

I'm sorry you weren't happy with service on the Breakaway. I loved our cruise to Bermuda. There's definitely pros & cons to the big ships and I didn't always like the design. I did know & like our cabin steward, Marcella. She knew our names the first day which impressed me.

The captain is a quiet guy but he did have a Q&A on our cruise. He also had to keep us informed because there was a tropical storm and we were delayed arriving in Bermuda for 12 hrs. I thought he did very well with the situation.

I believe all the cruise lines are cutting back on customer service. I see complaints in a lot of reviews. I guess it's something we'll have to expect unfortunately.

It's incredible how many posters are apparently incapable of distinguishing facts from opinions. You are entitled to your opinions, but you're not entitled to your own set of facts.

One of the principal complaints made by the OP, that the food doesn't change from night to night in the dining rooms, is a complete falsehood. The facts are wrong, so the opinion expressed based on that falsehood is worthless.

Pointing out falsehoods isn't being rude, it's presenting the truth, and everyone reading the thread is entitled to know the truth.

The fact that people are trying to discount, and debate your review/experience is completely ridiculous. I am sorry some people are so rude. Regardless if I agree with you or not, I very much APPRECIATE your review. Reviews are opinions based on your experience. We all have opinions and they are all different. I am sorry your experience on the Breakaway was less than perfect. Makes me weary of my upcoming Breakaway cruise.

Again, thanks for the review :).

Others posting that they had a different experience does not make them rude. Two people can be on the same cruise and have very different experiences. Why do you insist the OP's experience is the only one that counts? I'm also sorry the OP did not have the cruise they expected. However, that does not mean that I will have the same experience.....attitude can make or break an experience.:D

Thanks to all of you, who have commented on my post. I feel I do not have to defend my post, but I appreciate all of you that see that it was our experience on this particular cruise. I've sailed 11x with NCL all my other sailings were with RCCL, CARNIVAL & CELEBRITY. After this sailing on the Breakaway it made my 30th time sailing in total. So cruising is not new to me. Again, it was a disappointing sailing, but it was not a horrendous sailing. I've sailed the Epic and had an awesome experience with that sailing. I read this forum to get feedback both negative and positive. So when I decided to write on here, it was for that purpose only to share my experience. If you read what I wrote and got something from that, then I'm glad. If you read my post and thought otherwise, that's fine too. Mega ships are not for everyone. Better Customer Service is what I just wished we had more of , like we did on the smaller ships.

Thank you for your review. I was also on last weeks sailing also. The GSC is always hit or miss I go knowing its a 50 - 50 chance of getting there, but with that said I respect the Captains decission as he is the one that knows what they can and can't do safely. I am platinum so I do get a few extra perks which is a nice touch, especially the laundry perk. I do not fly so my cruises are whichever one is going out of Boston or New York, so the Itinerary is not important, its usually Bermuda, which I love been there about 12 times, or Nassau, which is ok. Its more about getting away, and even if you never left the ship there is so much to do. I actually found the Breakaway to be less of a hard sell. On my other cruises they would always sell BINGO packets before each of the shows, which was fine. If you wanted them you just raised your hand and they would come over, otherwise they wouldn't bother you. I didn't see them once before any of the shows I went to on the Breakaway.

Food: I'm not a big food critic. I have whatever meat is on the menu that night with a potato, salad and ice cream for desert. So as far as I'm concerned there were no surprises. Food was good and plenty of it. O'Sheehan"s was my favorite. We were alway sat down right away.( I'm not sure if that was because my last name is Sheehan or not LOL!)

Service: That seems to be the big problem for most people. I however found the service in the resturants and the room stewart to be for the most part very good. Most nights our waiter was great, there were 6 of us traveling together. We never had to wait longer than 5 mins for a table, but I did use the conciarge to make reservations so that might have helped. I think only 1 night did we have a waiter who seemed to be lets say , not happy to be there.

The ship: I just thought it was too big. Too many people all going to the same place at the same time or so it seemed like that sometimes. Thats why I think I will stick to the Dawn and the Gem.

Main problem: The only place I was not happy with was the spa. The spa itself was nice, and I loved the salt bath.The problem was it was crowded, and the service at the front desk was lacking. In fact on my post cruise questionere I compared the staff at the spa to those who work at the registry of motor vehicles( not meant to offend anyone but some of you know what I mean)

For $400 for a couple I would have exspected them to be a little more helpful. Ex: I asked on the first day how to get to the locker room as I had forgotten from the tour. The girl seemed quite annoyed that I didn't know were it was , and just pointed and said down there. Then on another day my husband thought they had run out of milk for the tea, and he asked if they could get some more, and she very frankly pointed out to him thet they do not have milk or cream the tea is searved with lemon only, but he could run down to the buffet and bring some back. I just though they should have been more acomadating.

The spa was really my only service problem. On the whole the food, service and experience was good. I'm booked on the new Royal Caribbean QOS, but am rethnking it as I'm really not sure I'm a fan of the new mega ship.Not for any reason that it was a bad experience, just that it was a different experience, and I think I just like the smaller ship. Mybe a mega ship is just not for me, but it may be for you. Oh and one more thing my room and my brother, and sisters rooms were all in the aft, 12906,12310, and 12306. They were all awesome rooms, and the balconies are amazing.

Others posting that they had a different experience does not make them rude. Two people can be on the same cruise and have very different experiences. Why do you insist the OP's experience is the only one that counts? I'm also sorry the OP did not have the cruise they expected. However, that does not mean that I will have the same experience.....attitude can make or break an experience.:D

What I considered rude is others debating the op's review. That is not necessary imo. I did not insist anywhere that the op's experience is the only one that counts. I for sure hope you do not have the same experience.

What I considered rude is others debating the op's review. That is not necessary imo. I did not insist anywhere that the op's experience is the only one that counts. I for sure hope you do not have the same experience.

Give it a few more years here on CC . Then you will be as guarded , jaded and crotchety as the rest of us....:D

No , really .. just kidding.

Its just after you read so many reviews and comments over the years. You begin to see the red flags that pop up in a review , over and over .

Its nothing personal ..But facts need to be spared from the over zealous .

Now go out there and save the World ;)

Edit: One other thing. When someone posts a review in the public forum section they are welcoming debate. If not , you should only post a cruise review in the review section . Right ?

Edited by mpk218

Give it a few more years here on CC . Then you will be as guarded , jaded and crotchety as the rest of us....:D

No , really .. just kidding.

Its just after you read so many reviews and comments over the years. You begin to see the red flags that pop up in a review , over and over .

Its nothing personal ..But facts need to be spared from the over zealous .

Now go out there and save the World ;)

Especially the "Nickel and Dimed" phrase. Every time I see it, it's like the fingernails on the chalkboard thing.

Edit: One other thing. When someone posts a review in the public forum section they are welcoming debate. If not , you should only post a cruise review in the review section . Right ?

Absolutely!