Rendezvous Caye, Goff's Caye, or Bannister Island

canadian85

We're on a budget, and there aren't alot of options for kids, but I would hate to stay on the ship while in Belize. It's also a 9-5 day. 2 adults, 2 kids (5 and 3).

We like the beach, kayaks etc would be good, be nice to buy a few drinks. The kids say the want to snorkel but might be too scared to go with a group. (they would probably rather stay near the shore). Here's my options:

Island Beach Break (with Carnival) Bannister Island

$90 (3 yo is free). I've been reading really bad review about the beach being crappy (mushy bottom with cloudy water).

Snorkeling Wonders of the Barrier Reef (with Carnival) Rendezvous Cay

$120 (both kids free). Canrival told me the kids are too young to snorkel, so each parent could take turns while the kids stay on the beach. Not sure how "taking turns" would work since it seems like you have to stay with a group, and they only go out once.

Aquatic Wonders Semi-Sub & Beach at Rendezvous Cay (with Carnival)

$210 (3 yo free). Bad reviews, most expensive.

Goff's Cay with Ecotours

$160 (pay for both kids). Includes snorkel equipement, and seems like we can snorkel at our leisure from the beach?

It would be nice to be picked up straight from the ship, but my wife might want to shop a little in the tourist area.

Goff's Caye seems to have the best beach?

Goff's Cay with Ecotours

$160 (pay for both kids). Includes snorkel equipement, and seems like we can snorkel at our leisure from the beach?

Can't speak for the other tours, but this one is where one of my younger kids first learned to snorkel. The Caye is not very large, but there are some sandy sections with gradual entry that IMHO were perfect for the first time snorkelin. Flat surf, minimal current and lots of fish. If you are pre-cruising at a hotel with a pool, have them test out the gear there so they are not totally learning when you get to the Caye. And if the snorkeling doesn't work out, there is still the small beach areas to frolick in the shallows.

Have fun!

Is the beach at Goff's alot better than Bannister?

We don't have water shoes, and don't really intend on getting any...

The water seems nicer (clearer) at Goff's, but I don't see much info on Rendesvous at all..

Do any of these 3 have sand beach where you don't need water shoes?

They would be fine just using googles from home to "snorkel" but I might want to go snorkel "for real" so i'm leaning toward Rendesvous or Goff's.

Is the beach at Goff's alot better than Bannister?

We don't have water shoes, and don't really intend on getting any...

The water seems nicer (clearer) at Goff's, but I don't see much info on Rendesvous at all..

Do any of these 3 have sand beach where you don't need water shoes?

They would be fine just using googles from home to "snorkel" but I might want to go snorkel "for real" so i'm leaning toward Rendesvous or Goff's.

We didn't use water shoes at Goff's Caye. Just had flip flops on in between water activities on the Caye (typical foliage, tree roots, small rocks outside of the sandy areas - there was a pavilion there too serving grilled foods and ice cold drinks too).

The water during our visit was really clear and calm. We visited in the late March time frame. after a bit of snorkeling my daughter ditched the snorkel, mask and fins and just swan around with normal pool goggles and had a great time.

Wish I could give a comparison to your other destination options but never having visited, I can't.

I can only comment on Bannister Island because it's the only place we have been out of the 3 mentioned.

I specifically chose it because of the convenience of being picked up right at the ship and taken directly there (since it's a tender island). They also had the option to be dropped back off at the ship on the way back, or if you wanted to go on to the port, they would drop you off there too (just stay on the boat). I just thought I would mention this since you said something about maybe wanting to shop after the island.

We had a lovely day there. The snorkeling is not the greatest, but you will see fish there for sure. The best part about Bannister is that it is loaded with tons of starfish. So, if your kids have never seen a starfish, they will here.

We didn't think the beach was that bad. Yes, we have water shoes but no, we didn't use them in the water. I guess it would depend on how tender footed you are?? My daughter (who was 4 at the time) didn't have a problem with the sand and I tend to never wear my water shoes once I hit the beach.

They did have canoes that you can use and also float mats, and there's a place for food and drinks. We didn't think the prices were bad at all for either.

I have a complete review with TONS of pictures in my signature line that you can click on. You can read about our day there and decide if it's the place for you.

PC180214-M.jpg

PC180192-M.jpg

PC180295-L.jpg

PC180342-M.jpg

PC180219-M.jpg

PC180204-M.jpg

I can only comment on Bannister Island because it's the only place we have been out of the 3 mentioned.

===========================

When (what year) did you take the photos you posted?

They look like the first time we were at Bannister Island ... but on our last time things had changed and looked quite a bit different.

LuLu

~~~~

When (what year) did you take the photos you posted?

They look like the first time we were at Bannister Island ... but on our last time things had changed and looked quite a bit different.

LuLu

~~~~

Not quite a year ago. We were there last December the week before Christmas. :)

Not quite a year ago. We were there last December the week before Christmas. :)

Thanks! So good to know Bannister is back to looking the way it once did and not like the last time we were there. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bannister island has HORRIBLE reviews on Tripadvisor (well, for the most part) and I would think should probably be avoided. mitsu, I am surprised you just wrote as positively of it as you did, because I was just reading Tripadvisor and saw your review there, giving it 2 stars!

NCL is pretty sleazy in hiding that their "Island Beach Break" is Bannister Island. They purposely don't mention which island:

Enjoy an exciting boat ride from the ship to your private island getaway for the day. It's time to play! Upon arrival, you’ll be given a brief orientation and a welcome tropical punch. It's fun in the sun at this private and secluded beach. Located on one of Belize's most beautiful islands, the beach is fringed with coconut palms and features white sands and sparkling clear Caribbean water. There’s a fantastic array of sea life just off shore, with The Belize Barrier Reef just one mile away.

It's an ideal location to relax and sun bathe on complimentary beach chairs or take as swim in the Caribbean Sea. Enjoy local beers and tropical mixes available for purchase at the bar as well as tasty Belizean food and snacks. There are rest rooms and showers at the site. Don't forget to pick up a Belizean souvenir before leaving the island via another exciting boat ride back to your ship.

Looks like they leave the name of the island out in order to avoid people seeing the bad reviews.

Was considering Goff's but it looks like it has plenty of flaws, as well. The island is tiny, there is apparently trash on one side of it, and a lot of people hate the boat ride out there (especially on choppy days). Also, I am reading mixed things about the snorkeling.

From what I'm reading, it seems like nobody is particularly happy with cruise-accessible beach excursions in Belize, so I'll probably pick something else. Will already be in the water in the 3 other ports, so I think it will be fine to do something else in Belize.

Edited by pokerpro5

Bannister island has HORRIBLE reviews on Tripadvisor (well, for the most part) and I would think should probably be avoided. mitsu, I am surprised you just wrote as positively of it as you did, because I was just reading Tripadvisor and saw your review there, giving it 2 stars!

I gave it 2 stars simply for the fact that it did not blow me away and there were a few issues that day with the running water. There wasn't any water in the bathrooms at the sinks and no water at the showers to rinse off. After I returned, others that went there reported that they did have water and it was fixed. I can only report my experience.

The other thing is I love to snorkel. There wasn't a lot there to see OTHER than the star fish...which we loved and a few fish here and there (but I knew this going there). That is what made the day for us. I'm so glad that we did it just because of the star fish. It made for a different day. Whenever we experience something new, that can make up for the anything negative.

I personally think the island is pretty and we had no other issues. It's just not a place I would consider returning to since I have already been there. People don't like the shells mixed in with the sand, it doesn't bother me at all (I'm a child from the 60's and use to run up and down the alley on rocks...I have tough feet ;)). Crushed shells on the beach is nature, it's what happens. If you don't like it, bring some water shoes. The rest of the sand on the island is fine.

In order for me to rate a place 4 or 5 stars, it has to blow me away. It has to be a place that I would return to in a heartbeat...like Little French Key or Maya Key in Roatan, or Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. Or the time we have done cave tubing in Belize (simply because we had an awesome time there). Those are some of my FAVORITE places ever. If it's a place that was ok, with a few bloopers, but yet maybe nice and I wouldn't return to, it gets a 3 or below (like Nachi Cocom in Cozumel was nice, but not our kinda place, Bannister looked nice and we had a nice time there, but would not return because for us, it was simply for the star fish...been there, done that, not interested in returning). I also gave the stingray city sandbar a 2 simply because of the company we went with and the BIG mix up we had with them. However, would I recommend swimming with the stingrays? Absolutely! We are going again in a few weeks, and yes, we are going with that same company (they are going to make things right with us because of the last time). The experience is out of this world.

Would I recommend someone go to Bannister? Sure, if they want to experience the starfish and it's something they have never seen before. The grounds are nice and clean, the food we had was plentiful, the drinks were a little expensive (alcohol) and watered down (for the amount paid), it sounds like they have fixed the running water issue, then there's the convenience of leaving straight from your ship to the island instead of having to tender (which saves time). That alone was a deciding factor for us. At the time we booked this, it was the best decision for us. I don't regret going there at all and glad we did.

But next time, I'll try a different place like Goffs or Rendezvous Cay (while people also give bad ratings on them sometimes for things they experienced such as...the rum punch ran out, the seas were high that day, there was nothing to do, not enough shade, only 1 facility...the list goes on. People report what is important to them. I never go to a place based on their experience. I go based on the proof in the pictures and what I think OUR family might like). :)

Bannister doesn't look appealing to us as a destination for our day, and we haven't been to Rendezvous bay so can't comment on that.

But we can't recommend Goff's Caye highly enough for the beach itself. We're not big snorkelers and we enjoyed the beach most of the time there, others who snorkeled considered it one of their best spots on the cruise.

Beautiful little spit and a great spot to relax with cocktails and a lunch with your butt in the water. :p

We're hitting Belize in Feb and would prefer a nice day on the water and a beach stop over cave tubing, ruins, and a zoo visit and I'm looking at private options to go to Goff's or another nice beach. Nacho at NCQBelize Adventures returned my call and if I can line up something similar to what you're looking for I'll let you know!

Good luck! ;)

Turns out it's not Bannister Island anymore.. they now go to Water Caye. I called and they said still Bannister, but I emailed and they said Water Caye. Pictures also appear to be Water Caye.

Anyone been there to comment on the beach?

I'm now thinking of switching to Water Caye instead of Rendezvous Island (which they now tell me I have to pay for my 5yo) after confirming that both 5 and 3 would be free..

The private excursion to Goff's Caye which seems to have the nicest beach was booked up.

Edited by canadian85

• 4 weeks later...
Who were you going through for the Goffs Caye and did they pick up from the ship? Thanks

We booked through the ship so we could get picked up at the ship. Otherwise you have to tender into port to meet the excursion and that can take a lot of time. We still had time to shower and head into port for a couple hours after Goff's.

• 4 years later...
We booked through the ship so we could get picked up at the ship. Otherwise you have to tender into port to meet the excursion and that can take a lot of time. We still had time to shower and head into port for a couple hours after Goff's.

So Goff's has showers?