Passport question

tree.critter

Looked for appropriate forum and not sure where to post this but know that someone here will know answer and I thank you in advance.

I am applying for my first passport ever since we're doing a reposition cruise and no problem with mine.

My husband has had a passport in the past when he was a teenager, was issued in 1971 and has old pic and travel stamps and has memorabilia value to us and I'd rather not send it in with application if it won't be returned. Do they return old passports that have expired? If I mark on the form that it was lost or destroyed will that delay the process? I'd rather be honest but the thought of sending this one away to never see it again isn't settling well.

Do NOT declare it lost. It is expired and was issued more than 15 years ago. Your husband cannot apply by mail for a renewal, he will have to go through the same process as you do, appear in person and submit his documentation. If he would rather submit his BC than the old passport, that is fine. He should write the old passport number on the form where indicated, but he does not have to send it in as his proof of citizenship.

Old passports are returned in separate envelopes, usually a few days after the new passport has arrived. Occasionally they are lost, but a lot of people declare theirs was not returned when in fact it shows up a few days later and they fail to update everyone they already told.

Looked for appropriate forum and not sure where to post this but know that someone here will know answer and I thank you in advance.

I am applying for my first passport ever since we're doing a reposition cruise and no problem with mine.

My husband has had a passport in the past when he was a teenager, was issued in 1971 and has old pic and travel stamps and has memorabilia value to us and I'd rather not send it in with application if it won't be returned. Do they return old passports that have expired? If I mark on the form that it was lost or destroyed will that delay the process? I'd rather be honest but the thought of sending this one away to never see it again isn't settling well.

We have gotten the old ones back with a hole punched in them separate from the new ones, but I think since it's expired, he would just apply for a new one and not submit the old one. Just be sure to have the appropriate long form Birth Certificate that is required now.

But I would get the for sure answer from the place where you are going to apply for yours.

A friend of mine was told that she would get hers back - she didn't. :mad: I'd just tell them it was lost.

..... this is what I was afraid my happen but.....

Do NOT declare it lost. It is expired and was issued more than 15 years ago. Your husband cannot apply by mail for a renewal, he will have to go through the same process as you do, appear in person and submit his documentation. If he would rather submit his BC than the old passport, that is fine. He should write the old passport number on the form where indicated, but he does not have to send it in as his proof of citizenship.

Old passports are returned in separate envelopes, usually a few days after the new passport has arrived. Occasionally they are lost, but a lot of people declare theirs was not returned when in fact it shows up a few days later and they fail to update everyone they already told.

I am encouraged by this, thank you cheryl&tk. Since I already had planned to go to local courthouse DH planned on coming in and applying together so this part works out, good advice and will do a follow up later.

This makes the trip to Australia a little more possible now too ;)

I've always gotten mine back (along with DH and DS) but I also have misplaced an old expired one (too many moves) and I just checked that box. I didn't think it seemed like it was delayed. If the cruise is very very soon then expedite otherwise don't worry.

I also had a PP from the 1970's. I couldn't find it a few years ago when I needed to get a current one. I wrote on the form that the old one had been destroyed after it expired. No problems. Of course, I found the old one a few weeks after the new one arrived.

No reason to send it in at all although you would get it back. Just apply for a new one

• 1 year later...

I think with his passport expiring so long ago, as previously posted he should apply with you. I just recently renewed mine again and it was expired by only a few days, but I thought I read on the renewal government site that if it expired long ago, the renewal process I used couldn't be used.

If you have him take his old passport to the courthouse, it may make the clerk's job easier, and (s)he may tell him exactly what needs to be done. Just be sure you have the pics to be sent in. When I renewed mine 10 years ago, I went to the courthouse to be told that I could send the app in myself and save some money, maybe $20 or so as I don't remember, so I did that.

Every time I have renewed my passport I have received the old one in return. This time, unlike previous ones, was sent separately and I got it a day later. Neither was insured or anything special. My old ones had holes punched in them. It took only a couple of weeks to get the new one and never did it show on the website that it was being processed. My check was electronically deducted from my bank account and I tried to check online for the processing but was always told it hadn't entered the system yet. I got it about a week or so later.

Edited by katiel53

Here is the government's requirements for renewing by mail:

Renew by Mail if All of the Following are True

Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:

Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;

Was issued when you were age 16 or older;

Was issued within the last 15 years; and

Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change with original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or the government-issued document evidencing your legal name change.

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must Apply in Person.

Hope this clears up the question of applying in person or by mail.