Booking a Cruise

Eiansmomma

Currently we are scheduled to sale on Carnival December 8th. We booked it thru a travel agent. We are already thinking about booking our next cruise but have some questions.

Is it better to book thru the cruise line itself or a TA? We don't necessarily have to stay with Carnival, we are open to other cruise lines. How do we find the best deals? Are there perks for booking with a new cruise line the first time? What about upgrades? HELP!!

I guess I just need guidance. We would be looking to sail out of NYC, Baltimore or Bayonne NJ and would like to sail November 2014 over Thanksgiving.

Thanks!

While I do love cruising and would recommend it to anyone, why don't you take your first cruise then think about booking the next one.

You will either love it or hate it. Once you have the first one under your belt, you can figure out what you did and did not like about the experience. Each cruise line has its own flavor and are geared to a different audience. So there might be another line that suits your family better or you absolutely love the Carnival product. I do. :)

While I do love cruising and would recommend it to anyone, why don't you take your first cruise then think about booking the next one.

You will either love it or hate it. Once you have the first one under your belt, you can figure out what you did and did not like about the experience. Each cruise line has its own flavor and are geared to a different audience. So there might be another line that suits your family better or you absolutely love the Carnival product. I do. :)

My husband and I have cruised before. This is the first time with the kids though. We are in love with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I always recommend booking through a TA because they can provide you with additional amenities that the cruise line will not plus should things go wrong they can act as your advocate.

Keith

can you get upgrades and other perks when using a Travel Agent

I have always used a TA since I started traveling long before the advent of the internet. One thing you might want to consider is booking onboard if you enjoy Carnival. Most cruise lines give you something (lower deposit, OBC, etc.) for booking onboard and you can transfer your booking to a TA and get those benefits as well. You might want to check on this during your cruise.

I have always used a TA since I started traveling long before the advent of the internet. One thing you might want to consider is booking onboard if you enjoy Carnival. Most cruise lines give you something (lower deposit, OBC, etc.) for booking onboard and you can transfer your booking to a TA and get those benefits as well. You might want to check on this during your cruise.

thanks I will see about doing that!

With most mass market cruise lines the base stateroom rate will be exactly the same whether you book directly or through a TA. So there is no advantage or "deals" with that either way.

Any separate non-cruise line sponsored perks or price "deals" offered by a TA (OBC, paid gratuities, etc.) will come directly from their paid compensation from the cruise line for booking the stateroom.

Upgrades - when rarely offered - are also typically offered directly by the cruise line, regardless of how it is booked.

You also need to ask questions of a TA before booking anything with them to be sure there are no separate fees charged at any time regarding originating, modifying, changing, or cancelling a booking. Some TA's do, and those should be avoided. The only fees that should legitimately be charged would be those originating from the cruise lines for changes or cancellations past final payment, etc.

A good TA - and one who is a real person you can talk to - will offer advice on cruising based on experience in the travel industry, provide service to you for your booking, watch for price changes (decreases), and will be your advocate with the cruise lines for questions or issues.

With most mass market cruise lines the base stateroom rate will be exactly the same whether you book directly or through a TA. So there is no advantage or "deals" with that either way.

Any separate non-cruise line sponsored perks or price "deals" offered by a TA (OBC, paid gratuities, etc.) will come directly from their paid compensation from the cruise line for booking the stateroom.

Upgrades - when rarely offered - are also typically offered directly by the cruise line, regardless of how it is booked.

You also need to ask questions of a TA before booking anything with them to be sure there are no separate fees charged at any time regarding originating, modifying, changing, or cancelling a booking. Some TA's do, and those should be avoided. The only fees that should legitimately be charged would be those originating from the cruise lines for changes or cancellations past final payment, etc.

A good TA - and one who is a real person you can talk to - will offer advice on cruising based on experience in the travel industry, provide service to you for your booking, watch for price changes (decreases), and will be your advocate with the cruise lines for questions or issues.

very helpful - thank you!

A TA may have a speculative Group on your desired ship/sailing.

They will offer amenities like OBC, wine , ect. without affecting their comm..

They may also throw in a OBC from their comm. or a discount off the cruise line rate fpr those like Princess & Cunard that allow discounting.

If any TA is merely offering exactly what you can get by booking direct (retail) , find a TA that shows they appreciate your business (and don't charge unreasonable fees)

If any TA is merely offering exactly what you can get by booking direct (retail) , find a TA that shows they appreciate your business (and don't charge unreasonable fees)

Find one the doesn't charge ANY extra fees! Any fee above what the normal compensation paid by the cruise line is unreasonable as it is simply a way to get extra compensation from you, which means you are paying more than you have to.

We have been with the same TA for almost 15 years and have never paid any fees for anything associated with our booking. As indicated before, this means originating, changing, modifying, or cancelling - of which over the years we have done all of the above.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We have a wonderful TA. Get OBC and any specials they are offering. Also, we get offers for upgrades (really upsells) from TA also. We often also let the TA deal with the air offers from the cruise line. It is nice to have the personal touch.

We have a wonderful TA. Get OBC and any specials they are offering. Also, we get offers for upgrades (really upsells) from TA also. We often also let the TA deal with the air offers from the cruise line. It is nice to have the personal touch.

my husband refuses to fly - it stinks because it really limits where we can go and now we are even more limited once Carnival pulls out of Baltimore

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever used a AAA Travel Agent?

I think I found our next cruise and I will hopefully book it after the New Year. I'm going to start researching Travel Agents and have a list of things to already ask (extra fees, watching for price changes and upsells etc).

We are looking at going with Norwegian this time around.

Anything else I should look for or ask?

do some research on the TA and get recommendations! you need them to be available for what ever reason (price drop etc)

also, I just read that the Carnival Pride is leaving Baltimore in October so that may be out for next thanksgiving

we will be going on Norwegian