Can I pre-book excursion, then transfer to OBC once onboard?

mpcaruth

We have $550 for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel. I have read that you have to wait until you are on board the ship before using any OBC. I am concerned that the excursion that I want to book may sell out prior to sailing. Can I book and pay for the cruise beforehand, then once on board, credit the excursion cost back to my credit card and switch the payment to my OBC?

How often do excursions sell out before sailing. Do you think we will be safe (family of 4) if we go directly to the excursion desk upon boarding the ship? Or, for that fact, when does the excursion desk first open up?

I don't usually have this problem with Royal Caribbean or Carnival, since they allow you to use OBC to pay for gratuities. But since I have to foot the bill for the gratuities (daily service charge), then I want to use the OBC for an excursion.

Edited by mpcaruth

I haven't heard of anyone doing what you propose. The way it's set up, you have to pay for pre-booked excursions beforehand. You can't use OBC to cover it.

P.S. You CAN use your OBC to cover all gratuities on the ship (actual tips, not the DSC). Bar tab gratuities, spa tips, restaurant tips, butler/concierge tips, all can be paid using your OBC.

Edited by johnql

I had the same problem. I didn't want the cabana to sell out on GSC, so I was forced to pre-book it and pay in full before boarding. I also have a lot of OBC to use, and now cannot use it to pay for the excursion.

I know there are plenty of fun ways to spend OBC, but it'd be nice to be able to buy what I want with it.

I had the same problem. I didn't want the cabana to sell out on GSC, so I was forced to pre-book it and pay in full before boarding. I also have a lot of OBC to use, and now cannot use it to pay for the excursion.

I know there are plenty of fun ways to spend OBC, but it'd be nice to be able to buy what I want with it.

I'm confused. :confused: You say it'd be nice to be able to buy what you want with it...well, unless I missed something, you can buy anything you want with it.

Of course, you have to wait until you are actually ON the ship to do so (it is called ON BOARD credit afterall).

The other sticking point is that you have to BUY something with it...as opposed to paying for something.

To the OP. If you prepay now and then cancel on board, the credit goes to OBC. Although it may be refundable OBC that you can get back after the cruise. But, you need to be careful, there are many comments on how NCL utilizes OBC. Some say refundable is used before non refundable and that would be a problem for you.

Edited by rvsullivan

To the OP. If you prepay now and then cancel on board, the credit goes to OBC. Although it may be refundable OBC that you can get back after the cruise. But, you need to be careful, there are many comments on how NCL utilizes OBC. Some say refundable is used before non refundable and that would be a problem for you.

So taking that idea...if I pre-paid for the excursion, then cancel when on-board, and then re-book immediately, I may be able to get refunded the amount I paid to re-book the excursion? So using the OBC wouldn't net me any change as I'd still be using the now OBC to re-book the same excursion. Do I have that right?

Cruises ALWAYS hold back space for on board booking. They do not assume everyone can book online.

Once on board, there should be an excursion drop off. Fill yours out and submit it. You should have no problem getting your tour choices after you board.

So taking that idea...if I pre-paid for the excursion, then cancel when on-board, and then re-book immediately, I may be able to get refunded the amount I paid to re-book the excursion? So using the OBC wouldn't net me any change as I'd still be using the now OBC to re-book the same excursion. Do I have that right?

Sounds right, however, I would question the excursion desk before executing. Make sure they will be able to rebook your reservation and not put you in some queue.