Dogs on Ships

e2011

Obviously I wouldn't insist on someone leaving their crutches or wheelchair outside, and if you read my posts I said I have no problem with service dogs.

So I have no problem with service dogs at the dinner table, in a theatre or any other space. I asked why they cannot have a little time out and wizard-of-roz has replied.

BUT I would have a problem eating my dinner next to a horse.

Good for you if you don't.

ex techie

And you would really have a problem with a miniature horse with shorts on in the MDR lol. :p

Can we have both? A pony AND a dog?!

Do you mean as Service animals? If you do....why? I promise you, if you had a Service animal, you would be grateful for having just one. There is so much work involved in keeping your animal in good health and good shape to go out into the public.

You know you should brush your dogs [pets] fur, teeth and keep his nails short along with making sure his ears are clean and there's no tears or crust around his eyes daily but you're just too busy to do it. And, you promise you'll do it tomorrow. Well, with a Service Dog, you MUST do these tasks daily. You MUST keep your dog clean and well groomed to go out into the public daily. Not to speak of keeping him/her healthy and well mannered. IT'S WORK, hard work!

You also must make sure that his vest is clean and not stained, tattered and torn. Your dog stays on the floor in the restaurant, train, plane, boat, etc. There's dirt on the floor and God knows what else. You have to make sure that none of it has stuck to your dogs fur or vest. Do you know how many tables my dogs have come out from under with gum stuck on their heads from people who leave their gum under the table?

I have to do a thorough inspection from nose to tail before we leave where he's been laying.

My dog weighs 90lbs, that's a lot of dog to examine. It's a huge job but the rewards of him being in my life outweigh the work!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I was just thinking that for me, I'd love to see a pony on board too. Not meant to minimize the amount of work it takes to keep your partner public friendly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Miniature horses are not ponies.

let's see if this works - here's a picture from Wikipedia of a service miniature horse:

220px-Guide_horse.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_horse

Miniature horses are not ponies.

let's see if this works - here's a picture from Wikipedia of a service miniature horse:

220px-Guide_horse.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_horse

Thank you so much for sharing this......Now, tell me, is this not adorable! [i don't mean to minamize these wonderful working beings], but I think they're so cute. This minature horse is no bigger than my Lab/Golden cross.

Note the horses hooves......those are actually "shoe-like" coverings for him to wear to protect his hooves. Something that must be cleaned daily and maintained because they grow just like a dogs nails do. And, are so subject to infection if not properly cleaned.

I don't see the tail on this horse but that must be brushed daily too!

It's not a horse, it's a minature horse - generally they are no larger or intrusive than a large dog (like a Lab or Collie).

It's not Mr Ed we're talking about, it's his mini-me cousin.

So because it is smaller than a regular horse, it ceases to be an equine? Livestock?

And no I don't expect them to talk either :rolleyes:

ex techie

So because it is smaller than a regular horse, it ceases to be an equine? Livestock?

And no I don't expect them to talk either :rolleyes:

ex techie

Nope! It's livestock, it an equine.....it's a horse! Just amazingly trained and geared towards helping a human being live a better life!

Do you mean as Service animals? If you do....why? I promise you, if you had a Service animal, you would be grateful for having just one. There is so much work involved in keeping your animal in good health and good shape to go out into the public.

You know you should brush your dogs [pets] fur, teeth and keep his nails short along with making sure his ears are clean and there's no tears or crust around his eyes daily but you're just too busy to do it. And, you promise you'll do it tomorrow. Well, with a Service Dog, you MUST do these tasks daily. You MUST keep your dog clean and well groomed to go out into the public daily. Not to speak of keeping him/her healthy and well mannered. IT'S WORK, hard work!

You also must make sure that his vest is clean and not stained, tattered and torn. Your dog stays on the floor in the restaurant, train, plane, boat, etc. There's dirt on the floor and God knows what else. You have to make sure that none of it has stuck to your dogs fur or vest. Do you know how many tables my dogs have come out from under with gum stuck on their heads from people who leave their gum under the table?

I have to do a thorough inspection from nose to tail before we leave where he's been laying.

My dog weighs 90lbs, that's a lot of dog to examine. It's a huge job but the rewards of him being in my life outweigh the work!!!!

This is all great information about the lives of service dogs Wizzard! And as above very interesting and informative!

Thanks for sharing the info to make us the general public more aware of what you have to do and think about day to day with one of these amazing dogs to help you!

ex techie

Nope! It's livestock, it an equine.....it's a horse! Just amazingly trained and geared towards helping a human being live a better life!

With respect, so are these, but I wouldn't want to share my dining space with one, in a restaurant or even in the wilderness!

working_horses_175_tcm9-1495.jpg

Rowan%20Working%20Horses%20-%20logging%205.jpg

pic05Suffolk%20Punch%20Working%20Horses.jpg

Ex techie

This has gotten me thinking and another thing springs to mind as to how do you feed a dog on a cruise ship?

Do you get canned or and dry dog food delivered to the ship? Does the cruise line provide this? What about water bowls? Do you have to bring them with you, and take them where you go and refill at each venue or area or will the cruise line provide them knowing you are aboard?

In the case of a service miniature service horse, do you get a delivery of hay and dried food delivered to the ship or does the cruise line provide it?

What is the ADA ruling as to the provision of food for service animals on long journey's where they are away for a few days from the service provider?

ex techie

This has gotten me thinking and another thing springs to mind as to how do you feed a dog on a cruise ship?

Do you get canned or and dry dog food delivered to the ship? Does the cruise line provide this? What about water bowls? Do you have to bring them with you, and take them where you go and refill at each venue or area or will the cruise line provide them knowing you are aboard?

In the case of a service miniature service horse, do you get a delivery of hay and dried food delivered to the ship or does the cruise line provide it?

What is the ADA ruling as to the provision of food for service animals on long journey's where they are away for a few days from the service provider?

ex techie

Princess cruises asks that you sign a contract in reference to the care and feeding of your Service Animal. The handler is responsible for all food and provisions required for the animal. In the case of dogs; they eat dry kibble; packed in individual zip lock bags, with dishes provided by the handler.

The animal is taken back to the cabin where it is fed and watered. The animal is NOT to be fed or watered in public. It's not necessary to do this in public, unless you're out on an excursion and have no other choice.

I have packed enough food for a 4 week cruise, in individual bags. I pack the dishes in the same suitcase and this is taken onboard with the rest of my carryon's.

The miniature horse is fed hay pellets and or grains. The packing of the food takes up no more space than it does for a dog.

In some parts of the world, dogs are considered livestock. In fact, in California, dogs kept for profit (breeding, training, etc) are considered livestock, and a miniature horse as a service animal isn't.

I'm not sure that I could bring myself to impugn someone's right to a service animal because it distracted me from my dinner. Certainly not any more than I could dismiss the use of a wheelchair because the metal is shiny and might reflect glare in my eyes.

In some parts of the world, dogs are considered livestock. In fact, in California, dogs kept for profit (breeding, training, etc) are considered livestock, and a miniature horse as a service animal isn't.

I'm not sure that I could bring myself to impugn someone's right to a service animal because it distracted me from my dinner. Certainly not any more than I could dismiss the use of a wheelchair because the metal is shiny and might reflect glare in my eyes.

Exactly. All you have to do is imagine yourself in the other persons place and treat them the way you would like to be treated. If someone doesn't like the dog (or horse) at their table then they should be the one to find somewhere else to eat.

Carnival had a life jacket for the dog on our last cruise.

We also pack food for the dog in individual baggies. We typically take 2 days worth in carryons and then pack the rest spread out between the suitcases in case luggage gets lost. We generally use travel bowls for both food and water but will occasionally pack his regular bowls and dish detergent to wash them out.

The OP wrote " Is it some ADA law that allows service dogs or emotional support dogs on a ship? I saw a dog on my last cruise and it was not a blind person. It was a lap dog. "

A dog to help a blind person isn't the only kind of service dog, as has been mentioned but I didn't feel like the responses given really addressed the OP's concern. Just because a dog is small doesn't mean they aren't a service dog. There are all sorts of things dogs can be trained to do for a person, or who simply have the ability to do. Like a dog gifted in sensing a seizure coming on, or a big change in blood sugar, well before the person it's affecting is aware of it. Those dogs notice it, alert the human, and the human is able to get to a safe place. Pulling the car over, for example. If at home, sitting down instead of standing as a seizure is about to start. Grabbing some food or their insulin. etc. A cyber-friend of mine once had a seizure in her bathroom (as like Jett Travolta did), and she, thankfully, didn't hit anything on the way down like poor young Travolta. She could have been helped tremendously at that moment by a service dog who could have alerted her.

With respect, so are these, but I wouldn't want to share my dining space with one, in a restaurant or even in the wilderness!

Aw, those are working animals, too. :)

It's obvious you just don't like equines. Cool. Should you ever need a service animal, obviously you'll go the canine route. But others do it differently. And since a service animal is to be treated like a member of the family, you might just have to deal with a service miniature horse like you would a human you don't particularly care for.

Hi chouflour,

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

In some third world countries dog meat is considered livestock for meat purposes.

Thankfully us that do not live in that environment do not!

Dogs kept in California for breeding are probably considered livestock by the government as they are taxable that way.

The tax thing comes up again with an owner who makes money from working a dog.

I wouldn't impugn anyone from owning a service animal ever.

There are 2 choices laid out by you, a domesticated dog (common place) or a horse that has been domesticated very recently.

Your comment about the wheelchair being too shiny is beyond ridiculous and absurd.

One could accuse someone in a glittery top of the same and be equally ridiculous for doing so.

That persons choice of a service animal is what differentiates the dogs from the horses when eating.

In the majority of the world, dogs are pets, not eaten, domesticated and socially accepted in most places, and in dining establishments, seeing eye dogs are allowed because of the purpose they serve.

In the majority of the world, horses are livestock, work animals and even in first world countries considered food.

Slight, but big difference to those that are fortunate to be able to afford to take a cruise.

I hope your first post will not be your last!

ex techie

It's obvious you just don't like equines. Cool. Should you ever need a service animal, obviously you'll go the canine route. But others do it differently. And since a service animal is to be treated like a member of the family, you might just have to deal with a service miniature horse like you would a human you don't particularly care for.

I have nothing against equines at all!

They are beautiful animals. I have ridden them whilst on vacation and whilst I was on shore leave in St Martin on the beach.

If the situation were to occur that I was seated with or next to a person with a service horse, I would treat that person and the horse with the upmost respect and politely and discreetly ask the manager for a different table away from the horse (not the person).

ex techie

Carnival had a life jacket for the dog on our last cruise.

We also pack food for the dog in individual baggies. We typically take 2 days worth in carryons and then pack the rest spread out between the suitcases in case luggage gets lost. We generally use travel bowls for both food and water but will occasionally pack his regular bowls and dish detergent to wash them out.

I wonder where a service dog comes in the space allocated to the very cramped life boats?

Do they get an allocated seat (as in a space for them) when lifeboat assignments are made?

ex techie

• 4 weeks later...
How about PTSD dogs? Are those service or emotional?

If the dog keeps the person from going ballistic when they are in a dark space or around crowds allowing the person to go out into the public venue to hold down a job, live a more normal life, be a productive member of society then this dog is performing a task for the handler.

This dog is not just a "feel good" dog, this dog is alerting its handler at just the appropriate time to keep calm and rely on the feel and strength of the dog, in turn allowing its handler to move forward and live life.

How about PTSD dogs? Are those service or emotional?

Emotional. They do not perform a task specific to the disability.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Edited by ducklite

It's not a horse, it's a minature horse - generally they are no larger or intrusive than a large dog (like a Lab or Collie).

It's not Mr Ed we're talking about, it's his mini-me cousin.

Nonsense. A horse is a horse is a horse.