Venice bans ships larger than 96,000 tons

jimbo5544

Venice will begin banning ships larger than 96,000 tons starting in November 2014. This would rule out all but Fantasy and Spirit class (two of which will be in Australia and one on the west coast - out of 4). I wonder how this will impact 2015 potential Europe plans for Carnival?

There are a lot of things that I don't understand about this news. Is the ban on ships over 96,000 tons permanent, or just until the new canal is built?

Either way, it's not clear that Carnival plans on offering European cruises in the future anyway.

It is not clear, but appears to be for ecological reasons, not ties tot eh new cnaal, but who knows. You are correct about Carnival plans being unclear, but this sure clouds the picture. Many here thought that Vista would do a Med itinerary when she comes out. That might still be true, but a med crusie without Venice is like apple pie without the ala mode.

Venice will begin banning ships larger than 96,000 tons starting in November 2014. This would rule out all but Fantasy and Spirit class (two of which will be in Australia and one on the west coast - out of 4). I wonder how this will impact 2015 potential Europe plans for Carnival?

Not just Carnival will be impacted, but many of the other cruise lines.

Not just Carnival will be impacted, but many of the other cruise lines.

LOL, correct. :D But this is a Carnival thread. I wonder what size ships sail there now (all cruise lines). As I read the article, my first thoughts were of Carnival and the impact and the next was all of HAL ships are sized under the ban limit (I think so anyway).

Too much money is at stake - they will find alternative ways to get the ships in and/or build another port.

Without corporate sponsors for maintenance, the city would likely go under. Literally.

LOL, good point. When we sailed in there on the Liberty a while back I did have a thought at the time of comimg in at 20 knots and the wake taking out the approximately 5,000 people in St. Marks square....:eek:

We were in Venice in September and happened to be at the top of the San Giorgio Maggiore Bell tower during a sailaway (MSC I think). Quite an imposing site. There are lots of ports eager to book cruises, so I'm sure Carnival will find a decent itinerary for the Vista. Hoping she takes the northern TA route so I can see her in Newfoundland.

We were in Venice in September and happened to be at the top of the San Giorgio Maggiore Bell tower during a sailaway (MSC I think). Quite an imposing site. There are lots of ports eager to book cruises, so I'm sure Carnival will find a decent itinerary for the Vista. Hoping she takes the northern TA route so I can see her in Newfoundland.

I like your thought process, let's hope it turns out that way.:D

"A commission comprised of government ministers and local officials approved digging a new canal so ships can enter the lagoon from the west, avoiding the historic center, Premier Enrico Letta's office said in a statement. The Venice Port, which campaigned successfully to preserve the existing passenger terminal, estimates the project will take two years to complete"

http://news.yahoo.com/italy-divert-cruise-ships-historic-venice-192139600.html

So maybe just in time for the next new Carnival ship!

"A commission comprised of government ministers and local officials approved digging a new canal so ships can enter the lagoon from the west, avoiding the historic center, Premier Enrico Letta's office said in a statement. The Venice Port, which campaigned successfully to preserve the existing passenger terminal, estimates the project will take two years to complete"

http://news.yahoo.com/italy-divert-cruise-ships-historic-venice-192139600.html

So maybe just in time for the next new Carnival ship!

Sometimes it is funny how those things work out.

We were there in May on the Legend. Is she under 96,000 tons? The ship was actually docked quite a distance away from Venice proper. (in the area with cars allowed.)

Perhaps they will just disallow the sail-by of St. Mark's square area?

The Legend is under the ban amount. I believe she is 88,000 tons. That beind said, she will be in Australia.

Edited by jimbo5544

I'm glad to hear this. Hopefully they will reconsider and lower to ban to 50,000 tons. Those ships don't belong there.

The Venice Cruise Terminal is close to causeway that connects Venice to the mainland. It's in one of the few areas that cars are allowed near the tronchetto (car park). Ships sail right past San Marco but do not dock there.

That is what I remembered as well.

What I would call downtown, by St. Marks Square

Uh...NO. When we sailed to Venice in 2012, no large cruise ships were docked near San Marco

Cruise ships dock at Marritima on the West side.

They do sail past San Marco on thier way In / Out of Venice.

venice.jpg