Tip for room service?

sjde

No not a good idea. Then the argument would start again should we get envelopes to tip since we are not really being charged for tips.

Wonder if they have that dilemma on Regent ??

Some cruises on O have Gratuities included ...do people tip extra on those cruises??

Ok now thoroughly confused :eek:

Some cruises on O have Gratuities included ...do people tip extra on those cruises??

Yes

If we have prepaid gratuities or not does not really enter into our decision to tip "over and above." It is based on service.

On our last O cruise we had an incredible butler and a mediocre housekeeper. We tipped the butler a lot extra but not extra to the housekeeper. We had prepaid gratuities.

On the cruise before that we had the same wonderful butler and an incredible housekeeper. We did not have prepaid gratuities and tipped them both extra.

On our first O cruise we had a mediocre butler and a wonderful housekeeper; we gave him zero extra and a lot more extra to her. We didn't have prepaid gratuities.

We tip extra based on service...not whether the gratuities are prepaid.

gary

Wonder if they have that dilemma on Regent ??

No. Tipping on Regent, for any reason, is discouraged. If folks feel they want to offer something, perhaps because of exemplary service, they are encouraged to donate to the crew fund, which provides various "extra" perks to the entire crew. On the Regent forum, if someone asks for information similar to this thread, they are politely directed to not tip as that would tend to change the culture on board.

Regarding specialty restaurants, I believe they participate in the same distribution of the standard gratuities as the other servers. I have never tipped in the specialty restaurants, but I have often made a direct compliment about a server to the maitre 'd, and make it a point to write comments about good service.

I rarely use room service, but when I do, unless I'm in a suite with a butler, I always have a couple of dollars or Euros handy. I've been told the room service "runners" volunteer some of their free time in the hopes of picking up a little additional income, and that seems like a worthy endeavor to me. I don't tip a butler each time he serves in the room (and it's always the butler if you're in a suite), but I do provide something additional for outstanding service. If it's only a couple of routine breakfasts, I don't add anything because they're getting a pretty good chunk already.

I would never ask to reduce the standard gratuities, regardless of whether I used a certain crew member or not, because they are distributed to many, and that would be hurting them all.

No. Tipping on Regent, for any reason, is discouraged.

I was being facetious :rolleyes:

If gratuities were included in the price on Oceania it would be much less confusing just as it is on Regent

JMO