Pros/cons of CDN driving from Munich-Venice?

hsaroya

On my other thread about what to do before and after my Med Aug cruise, some have advised driving from where we land, Munich, to our embarkation port, Venice. We will have 3 full days prior to embarkation day. If you have done this, please advise. Am not overly concerned about jet lag or getting overtired. We have a family of myself, DH, and a 14 and 16 yo. Also, not worried about distance of drive - live in the prairies of Canada where a drive to the next large city is 3 hrs and we usually make the return trip in the same day!

Please give all the pros and cons. If you have done this, would love to hear about your experiences.

On my other thread about what to do before and after my Med Aug cruise, some have advised driving from where we land, Munich, to our embarkation port, Venice. We will have 3 full days prior to embarkation day. If you have done this, please advise. Am not overly concerned about jet lag or getting overtired. We have a family of myself, DH, and a 14 and 16 yo. Also, not worried about distance of drive - live in the prairies of Canada where a drive to the next large city is 3 hrs and we usually make the return trip in the same day!

Please give all the pros and cons. If you have done this, would love to hear about your experiences.

You might get some help from CC's Europe board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Also you can check with your Roll Call

You may just have to take a drive out to Banff, AL between now and then to get some practice on hills and steep turns!:D

Seriously, sounds like a fun and memorable road trip. Have a wonderful vacation!:)

If you are from the prairies just remember that a lot of your trip will be in mountains. The roads are fantastic if you can avoid going into major cities. The road signage is very similar to Canada.

I love driving in Europe.

I was posted to Europe for 5 years with the army. Our lisencing rules were a bit different as we were covered under several NATO agreements and we had special plates on our vehicles but do check out the following.

First will you be travelling thru Austria. They have additional insurance rules and they did apply to us as well.

Will you need an international drivers lisence. Some countries demanded it, again Austria was one.

As to driving in Europe no problems. The autobanns as they are called are fantastic roads and most have an unlimited speed limit or at least much higher than at home here in Alberta. One word of caution. When there is an accident on one of these things it isn't a fender bender or just a couple of vehicles. The largest I remember was just outside Stutgart and there were over 300 vehicles involved. When this happens the road can easily be closed for a couple of days. It is refered to as a stau.

City driving can be a bit of a challenge. Lots of old towns in Europe were never designed for automobiles and the streets can be very narrow. Just like here European drivers think that they always have the right away so take a little extra caution.

Frankly the best bet for travel in Europe is the rail system. Fast, always ontime and comfortable even in coach.

I've driven all over Europe, & you won't find a problem with Munich to Venice at that time of year. The long newer sections of road/tunnels/viaducts are quick & easy, though you have the opportunity to switch to the more-challenging old passes, such as the Brenner. Very scenic.

Consider stop-overs in Innsbruck and/or the shores of Lake Garda.

Adding Switzerland & Lichtenstein to your itinerary would add significantly to your mileage.

But I think your major difficulty/expense may be a one-way rental between Germany & Italy. I've never rented in one country & dropped in another, so I don't know whether this is possible or economical.

But it's worth check out before possibly-wasted research on routing.

JB :)

I love driving around Europe! Like I said previously, I've done Venice to Innsbruck to St. Moritz and down to Milan as well as Munich to Konigsee/Salzburg and Dresden to Konigsee. No issues as long as you learn various road signs. For everyone who is going to drive, you need to get an International Driving Permit - you get them at your local CAA office (I think they are $25CDN each). For driving the vehicle into Austria on the autobahns, you need to purchase a vignette - If the rental agency does not have it, you will need to buy it before crossing into Austria - usually the gas stations on the autobahn.

Here's how I would do the drive (I looked at Google Maps to be sure):

Drive from Munich to Bolzano, Italy, using Google's A95 route so you can go through Garmish-Partenkirchen, spending the night in Bolzano (or drive the A12 route - I've done it in pieces, fast, but not all that scenic). Either way, you can do a stop in Innsbruck to see the amazing Bergisal K120 ski jump tower and wander to the old section of town to see The Golden Roof. In Bolzano, there are plenty of hotel choices. THEN, take The Great Road of the Dolomites to Cortina d'Ampezzo (S241 to S242). It is one of the most breathtaking drives anywhere!!! Lunch in Cortina, then head from there into Venice via SS51 to A27. I haven't done that part of the drive, but it has to be amazing, too. I did the Great Road in February - now, THAT was fun!!! I'd love to do it again in the summer and stop and stay in some of the villages. Have FUN!

Edited by slidergirl

You may just have to take a drive out to Banff, AL between now and then to get some practice on hills and steep turns!:D

Seriously, sounds like a fun and memorable road trip. Have a wonderful vacation!:)

Headed there next wknd for conference, as a matter of fact. :)

I love driving around Europe! Like I said previously, I've done Venice to Innsbruck to St. Moritz and down to Milan as well as Munich to Konigsee/Salzburg and Dresden to Konigsee. No issues as long as you learn various road signs. For everyone who is going to drive, you need to get an International Driving Permit - you get them at your local CAA office (I think they are $25CDN each). For driving the vehicle into Austria on the autobahns, you need to purchase a vignette - If the rental agency does not have it, you will need to buy it before crossing into Austria - usually the gas stations on the autobahn.

Here's how I would do the drive (I looked at Google Maps to be sure):

Drive from Munich to Bolzano, Italy, using Google's A95 route so you can go through Garmish-Partenkirchen, spending the night in Bolzano (or drive the A12 route - I've done it in pieces, fast, but not all that scenic). Either way, you can do a stop in Innsbruck to see the amazing Bergisal K120 ski jump tower and wander to the old section of town to see The Golden Roof. In Bolzano, there are plenty of hotel choices. THEN, take The Great Road of the Dolomites to Cortina d'Ampezzo (S241 to S242). It is one of the most breathtaking drives anywhere!!! Lunch in Cortina, then head from there into Venice via SS51 to A27. I haven't done that part of the drive, but it has to be amazing, too. I did the Great Road in February - now, THAT was fun!!! I'd love to do it again in the summer and stop and stay in some of the villages. Have FUN!

Thank you, slidergirl, for doing some of my homework for me! Love the thought of stopping in some small villages along the way.

I've driven all over Europe, & you won't find a problem with Munich to Venice at that time of year. The long newer sections of road/tunnels/viaducts are quick & easy, though you have the opportunity to switch to the more-challenging old passes, such as the Brenner. Very scenic.

Consider stop-overs in Innsbruck and/or the shores of Lake Garda.

Adding Switzerland & Lichtenstein to your itinerary would add significantly to your mileage.

But I think your major difficulty/expense may be a one-way rental between Germany & Italy. I've never rented in one country & dropped in another, so I don't know whether this is possible or economical.

But it's worth check out before possibly-wasted research on routing.

Thank you, John Bull. I did check into a couple of rental places in Munich that were mentioned by CC members on the Europe board and the rates from Munich to Venice are 200-300 for a decent sized sedan. Any thoughts on what a trip like this might cost for gasoline?

I was posted to Europe for 5 years with the army. Our lisencing rules were a bit different as we were covered under several NATO agreements and we had special plates on our vehicles but do check out the following.

First will you be travelling thru Austria. They have additional insurance rules and they did apply to us as well.

Will you need an international drivers lisence. Some countries demanded it, again Austria was one.

As to driving in Europe no problems. The autobanns as they are called are fantastic roads and most have an unlimited speed limit or at least much higher than at home here in Alberta. One word of caution. When there is an accident on one of these things it isn't a fender bender or just a couple of vehicles. The largest I remember was just outside Stutgart and there were over 300 vehicles involved. When this happens the road can easily be closed for a couple of days. It is refered to as a stau.

City driving can be a bit of a challenge. Lots of old towns in Europe were never designed for automobiles and the streets can be very narrow. Just like here European drivers think that they always have the right away so take a little extra caution.

Frankly the best bet for travel in Europe is the rail system. Fast, always ontime and comfortable even in coach.

I've given serious consideration to the rail, but would like to be able to stop frequently to take in the sights as we may never get through here again.

Thank you for your service to our country; have a wonderful Remembrance Day.

If you are from the prairies just remember that a lot of your trip will be in mountains. The roads are fantastic if you can avoid going into major cities. The road signage is very similar to Canada.

I love driving in Europe.

Have many relatives in Vancouver, so have made a few too many 13 hr trips through the mts. Hope that experience will help somewhat! :D

Thank you, John Bull. I did check into a couple of rental places in Munich that were mentioned by CC members on the Europe board and the rates from Munich to Venice are 200-300 for a decent sized sedan. Any thoughts on what a trip like this might cost for gasoline?

Currently gas (petrol) prices are remarkably similar in most of Europe, but with Germany & Italy being more expensive than Austria.

Variations in the price of diesel are much lower than they used to be, but the price is still much more variable than for gas.

Figure on about €1.45 - €1.60 per litre for gas, but I'll leave you to convert that to USD per US gallon.

Expect to get around 6 to 8 miles per litre from a compact-to-midsize car.

The simplest route Munich to Venice is 338 miles, though when touring I tend to rack up 25% to 50% more than a basic mileage.

If your calculations work out way more expensive than you were expecting, it's probably not down to your poor maths. Fact is, taxation on fuel is very high in Europe - up to about 60% of the pump price.

This website includes USA prices, which it computes as the equivalent of just €0.65 per litre

http://www.mytravelcost.com/petrol-prices/

Munich - Innsbruck - Verona - Venice

done with 12-15 jrs old ones from Winterpeg ....... multiple times! train and car ....

a dream trip

but!

only caution ; august= prime travel month for Europeans[[[ incl Russians (lately); and Americans]] , particularly Germans/Austrians and everyone in between - be prepared for long lines and standing on freeway IN HEAT; A/C = expensive add on to Standard transmission (stick shift and clutch! rental car -

several mountain passes with hairpin curves, high elevation (roads r better than Lake Louise - Golden)

hotels= FULL ! u need reservations,

recommend EARLY AM start - like 4 AM - less traffic / heat

excellent alternative = train (=very fast and comfortable (= OEBB +DB) - book your seats and tickets! well ahead ...

train stations r dead center of town - no car needed in any of the places - gorgeous sightseeing from your train seat, no stress / fatigue

good luck

envy you - marvelous scenery and cities - and food .....

plan WELL ahead ...

I've given serious consideration to the rail, but would like to be able to stop frequently to take in the sights as we may never get through here again.

Thank you for your service to our country; have a wonderful Remembrance Day.

I second your comment re trains. Not being able to pull the emergency brake cord to make the train stop so I can go outside and take pictures is one reason why many years ago I took my one and only train trip of my life.

I call a train trip a "blink and you miss it" trip.

However, different strokes for different folks which is why travel companies continue to offer train tours.

DON