Ochos Rios Jamaica excursions?

mayfair0325

We will be in Ochos Rios at the end of the year, and are really having trouble deciding on which excursion to book, if any at all. Really looking for something more relaxing, but the beach excursions Im seeing are having a lot of bad reviews. Any suggestions??

We will be in Ochos Rios at the end of the year, and are really having trouble deciding on which excursion to book, if any at all. Really looking for something more relaxing, but the beach excursions Im seeing are having a lot of bad reviews. Any suggestions??

Please check out the thread in my signature. It was created by me specifically for families with children needing help with excursions in Jamaica but it might help.

I am a 'yawdie"

Edited by Blk_Amish

Last November when I cruised on the Carnival Freedom I did the Plantation and beach getaway.

Below are some details about it along with my "Live" at the time trip report, just follow the link to it. I found it very relaxing and low key. Was able to take in some of the local culture too. Pictures of the adventure are in the review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1734869

18th CenturyEstate & UltimateBeach Experience:

This fun-filled excursion combines a visit to an 18th century plantation and an escape to Dolphin Cove’s beach.

· Take a short transfer from the pier to Prospect Plantation where a complimentary fruit drink is waiting.

· Experience “Old Jamaica’s Culture” and history on a tractor-drawn open air carriage ride.

· See the plantation’s butterfly aviary and feed the ostriches.

· Depart for Dolphin Cove, home to dolphins, sharks, snakes, stingrays, macaws, and many other tropical birds, fishes and reptiles.

· View the dolphins as they interact with other guests and witness the amazing “Shark Show”.

· Relax and enjoy the private beach’s pearly white sand and crystal clear waters. Relax in your complimentary lounge chair with a complimentary drink and enjoy lunch in the comfort of your “beach haven”.

· Sample local fruits, spices and the World Famous Blue Mountain Coffee and liquors.

· Have an optional drop off at Taj Mahal or Soni’s Plaza for shopping on your return to the ship.

· Note: Beach time is at the discretion of the guest. Lunch includes one non-alcoholic beverage and one hamburger or two hot dogs.

· Comfortable walking shoes, swimsuit, and sunscreen are recommended.

Happy Cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please excuse any errors.

We liked Dunns river falls and we did it by taxi and it went perfect .What we did was I hired a taxi for the day ,I don't remember exactly what I paid but I think it was around $100 for 4 people. When we were done our tour our driver took us to a nice lunch in the fishing village

We used Jamaica for a day and went to The Jewel at Dunns River. It was AMAZING! Beautiful beach, cabanas, all inclusive for the day. We loved it, and it wasn't too far from the port. The Jewel is adults only, but Jamaica for a day offers all inclusives for other hotels too. We definitely recommend them.

I was going to,suggest Marva also. She will do,whatever you want and has suggestions if you don't know what you want.

I was going to,suggest Marva also. She will do,whatever you want and has suggestions if you don't know what you want.

I agree. Marva made Ocho Rios my favorite cruise port. We picked the attractions we wanted, and asked for suggestions for other things like good native food and hassle-free shopping. She kept us ahead of the large groups of tourists even at the popular attractions. The locals all know her and the persistent sellers and tour guides didn't approach us. We went to a restaurant that was the best food I've ever had, and nothing but locals were there. It was just a great way to get a small look at the city and country. It's amazing what a good private tour guide can do.

We did Cool Runnings Dunn's River Falls this past July and it was one the best excursion we have ever done. You meet the boat right at the end of the cruise pier, sail to the falls, climb them and then go for a sail with music and dancing. We had young teens with us and they loved it as well.

We LOVED climbing Dunns River Falls.. but I would not call it relaxing... It was Gorgeous and a challenge. We went with a Carnival guide and had NO problems with merchants... weren't harassed at all... and we did shop. Was one of our favorite stops !

Isnt there a Bob Marley Experience excursion available in Ochos Rios? Doesnt get any more relaxing than that... :p

I would suggest a private tours and go from Ocho Rios, though Fern Gully, the small town of Claremont to Nile Miles. Down through Brown's Town , with a quick stop at the market back to Ocho Rios. Yes, they offer relaxation therapy, so not best for young kids. The scenery is green and lush with houses on vertical hills and down jaw dropping gullies.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Isnt there a Bob Marley Experience excursion available in Ochos Rios? Doesnt get any more relaxing than that... :p

There is a Bob Marley tour - the Bob Marley cultural museum and masoleum tour to Nine-Mile. We took it in 2009 and if ever we return to Jamaica, we'll take it again. It was a great time.

Be aware - all they serve at the snack bar are Doritos and some sort of punch.

There is a Bob Marley tour - the Bob Marley cultural museum and masoleum tour to Nine-Mile. We took it in 2009 and if ever we return to Jamaica, we'll take it again. It was a great time.

Be aware - all they serve at the snack bar are Doritos and some sort of punch.

No Funions? They need to get on the ball :p

We did the Sky Explorer excursion...it was super relaxing and gave beautiful views of the ship/ocean. It's sort of like a ski lift up a tall mountain close by to the port. You can ride up/down as many times as you'd like. At the top of the mountain there is a beautiful infinity pool with a water slide, a zip line, and a Jamaican bobsled ride.

We enjoyed it VERY much - we wanted something relaxing as well.

Here are a couple pictures to get the idea:

ljsf8.jpg

9qiua.jpg

fwf8n.jpg

Don't know how to make them bigger - sorry!

Edited by Dare2Believe

Thanks sooo much for the great suggestions, everyone! I've spent a lot of time online today checking out the different links and tips and reading tons of reviews. Whew!! I now have a better view on what sounds fun but relaxing, and what is safe/safer. LOL!!

When we were in Ocho Rios last year, we booked with Jamaica for a Day (which is also Resort for a Day) and went to Sunset Grande. They are located right there basically down the road from the port. The ship will be right in front of you when you are there.

It's a HUGE resort with a beach and A LOT of different pools, different beach areas, snorkeling, water slides and food and drinks are included. If we go back we would go there again.

I have a complete review with pictures and links to additional pictures, located in my signature line if you are interested in reading about it. :)

When we were in Ocho Rios last year, we booked with Jamaica for a Day (which is also Resort for a Day) and went to Sunset Grande. They are located right there basically down the road from the port. The ship will be right in front of you when you are there.

It's a HUGE resort with a beach and A LOT of different pools, different beach areas, snorkeling, water slides and food and drinks are included. If we go back we would go there again.

I have a complete review with pictures and links to additional pictures, located in my signature line if you are interested in reading about it. :)

Thanks for the suggestion and all the pictures! I've been struggling to find something to do in Jamaica, and I'm so glad I came across your post. It looks like they just include the cost of the bus transfer in the package, now, but other than that second of confusion, it was super easy to book. I'm super excited now that I have a good plan in place with the niece. Cheers! :D

Thanks for the suggestion and all the pictures! I've been struggling to find something to do in Jamaica, and I'm so glad I came across your post. It looks like they just include the cost of the bus transfer in the package, now, but other than that second of confusion, it was super easy to book. I'm super excited now that I have a good plan in place with the niece. Cheers! :D

You're very welcome. I hope you have a wonderful time. Just know that there's an additional side and beach area (over by the snorkeling and the gazebo), which is located past the water slides (we didn't adventure over there and forgot about it until it was time to leave).

We were very pleased with using them for booking. We will be booking with them again for our upcoming cruise next month in Montego Bay. :)

I just got back from Ocho Rios and had the best excursion ever! There were 17 of us (age range 17-68). We booked with Ricardo from Liberty Tours Jamaica and went to Irie/Secret Falls, some sightseeing, lunch at Scotchies, then some shopping. The price was under 60.00 (we needed a wheelchair lift van/bus). You can design your own tour with Ricardo. He answered every question within an hour. I would not hesitate to use Liberty again.

• 4 weeks later...

We are considering the Sunset Grande for our stop in April, so thanks for your review! We generally seem to look for the same things based on what I've read, so I was glad to see you'd been before. When I told my husband "If this mitsugirly chick likes it then we'll probably be fine" he laughed out loud saying "Sure, a random stranger says it's good, it MUST be good". He just doesn't GET Cruise Critic. ;)

So I have a couple of questions ...

1) Did lounge chairs open up throughout the day, or were they always taken by resort guests? I don't mind laying on the beach, but would prefer a chair. Especially since I plan on lying motionless for hours (aside from lifting a drink to my mouth). And my husband prefers a lounge chair for sure.

2) How exactly do I find the area you mentioned you saw people snorkeling, the spot you'd wished you'd noticed earlier in the day? If I'm at the water slide for instance, which way?

3) Was the food/drink good? Lots of choices?

4) The site says that you're taken back to the ship 2 hours before your ship is scheduled to depart. You mentioned that they asked when you wanted to go back. Do you think we would have the opportunity to go back to ship LATER than advertised?

Thanks in advance for your input!

We are considering the Sunset Grande for our stop in April, so thanks for your review! We generally seem to look for the same things based on what I've read, so I was glad to see you'd been before. When I told my husband "If this mitsugirly chick likes it then we'll probably be fine" he laughed out loud saying "Sure, a random stranger says it's good, it MUST be good". He just doesn't GET Cruise Critic.

So I have a couple of questions ...

1) Did lounge chairs open up throughout the day, or were they always taken by resort guests? I don't mind laying on the beach, but would prefer a chair. Especially since I plan on lying motionless for hours (aside from lifting a drink to my mouth). And my husband prefers a lounge chair for sure.

I honestly don't remember if the lounge chairs opened up or not. We spent the last part of our day getting our hair braided. I do remember regular chairs stacked up later in the day, but we normally don't sit still and always swimming or on the go, so I really didn't look. (Not to mention, we weren't on the entire property...which I didn't find out until it was time to go :()

2) How exactly do I find the area you mentioned you saw people snorkeling, the spot you'd wished you'd noticed earlier in the day? If I'm at the water slide for instance, which way?

When you enter the property, facing the ocean, you go to the right. It takes you under the water slides and the part on over is the other beach. (So there might have been plenty of chairs over there as well). The snorkeling part was right up and down along this long peninsula (which is where some of the locals hang out and we got our hair braided, it's also a boat rental place).

The area also has a gazebo (where people get married at), so that's another dead giveaway that you're in the right area.

This is my daughter getting her hair braided by a local and we are sitting on the peninsula area. You can see people in the water with a paddle boat. Snorkelers were swimming right up and down right there where we were at.

IMG_1194-L.jpg

IMG_1197-L.jpg

This is the beach area over there and the gazebo:

IMG_1079-L.jpg

3) Was the food/drink good? Lots of choices?

Yes, there seem to be a lot of choices. It was lined along 3 sides of the huge restaurant wall, plus in the middle of it. There was a lot. You also have to remember that the people actually staying at the resort are also AI and they are also eating their meals there, so there's tons in order to feed everyone.

There's the blue wall (which is the side wall over by the steps, I think it had drinks there), and then along the entire back as you see in the picture, a little down the other wall (where I was standing) and then in the middle as well (I think it might have been deserts)

IMG_1206-L.jpg

4) The site says that you're taken back to the ship 2 hours before your ship is scheduled to depart. You mentioned that they asked when you wanted to go back. Do you think we would have the opportunity to go back to ship LATER than advertised?

I do know that Jamaica For a Day changed their name to Resort For a Day and when they did that, that's when they put the "2 hours" before the ship leaves time on their site. I'm not sure how enforced it is. When we went, they ask us what time we wanted to leave and we gave them a time. I guess I can understand gathering everyone up together and leaving at the same time because it would save on gas. They picked us up at the resort in this HUGE tour bus and we were the only passengers...5 of us.

IMG_1216-M.jpg

I am using Resort for a Day again in a few weeks (and the site also says 2 hours before the ship departs) and I can report back and let you know how that all went. (We will dock in Montego Bay this time and will be going to Hilton Rose Hall).

Thanks in advance for your input!

Hopefully that answers some of your questions. Let me know if you have any more.