Cruise Card & Photo ID

PopsiB

This is from the U.S. Government WEB site regarding the WHTI Rules...

http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/whti_bg/

Home / Travel / U.S. Citizens/Lawful Permanent Residents / Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative / spacerclear.giftop_5ffade.jpgspacerclear.gifWHTI Program Backgroundspacerclear.gif The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is the joint Department of State (DOS) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) plan to implement a key 9/11 Commission recommendation and the statutory mandates of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA). IRTPA, in part, required the DHS and DOS to develop and implement a plan to require all travelers, U.S. citizens and foreign nationals alike, to present a passport or other acceptable document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the United States. WHTI document requirements for air travel went into effect in January 2007. All U.S. citizens and nonimmigrant aliens from Canada, Bermuda, and Mexico departing from or entering the United States from within the Western Hemisphere at air ports-of-entry are required to present a valid passport (or NEXUS card, if utilizing a NEXUS kiosk when departing from a designated Canadian airport).

Betty

We never leave the US without our original passports.. It's not just in case we can't return to the ship, but also in case of an emergency at home & we must return to the US. immediately..

In order to fly back into the US, you must have a valid passport.. I believe this is still the case..Years ago a color photocopy of your passport or black & white was not acceptable & neither was the Passport card.. However, a photocopy does make it easier for the US. embassy to re-issue a passport, but it still might take precious time..

Betty

I don't think anyone is saying they'd leave their original passport at home. We can't even get out of the UK without ours.

You are right about it being easier for new passports to be issued if you have a copy. I've also scanned a copy and sent it to my email for easy access (just in case):)

Many Thanks for all your replies, I like the idea of photocopying and laminating the passport page.

We will take our UK Travel Cards as well just to be on the safe side.

Some varied points to consider Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you stopping in the States at all? Even to wait for a plane? It is my understanding you would also need a Visa when coming from the UK. That would also apply in Peurto Rico and St. Thomas, St.Croix, or St. John's.

What id is required for children? My husband and I usually use our drivers licence but, obviously, our 4 children don't have one yet!! I would prefer not to have to carry 6 passports with me and worry about them at the beach and on snorkelling excursions. Any advice or suggestions??

I don't think anyone is saying they'd leave their original passport at home. We can't even get out of the UK without ours.

You are right about it being easier for new passports to be issued if you have a copy. I've also scanned a copy and sent it to my email for easy access (just in case):)

The OP said this: Quote I have cruised in the Caribbean many times but always with UK based ships. Once we get our Cruise Card we do not need any other ID with us.

Our HAL paperwork states a photo ID issued by the government is also needed does anyone know how we obtain one of these. My only photo ID is a passport (don't want to take that off the ship). Or a UK travel card.

Has anyone been asked for a Photo ID at ports rather than a just Cruise Card. Unquote

I don't believe this discussion is about leaving a passport home..The OP states his only Govt. issued photo ID is his passport, so IMO he must carry it with him even when off the ship..The answer to the OP's question is: Yes, we have been asked to produce a photo ID by local authorities in order to get back on board in various ports including San Juan..

In addition, I stated that I always carry my passport even when off the ship, in case I could not get back to the ship or had to fly home on a moment's notice..

If someone misses the ship & needs to fly back to the U.S. they must have their original passport to re-enter the U.S. A photo-copy will not work, however a US Embassy can use a photo copy to reissue a passport but that too will take time..

Cheers...Betty

What id is required for children? My husband and I usually use our drivers licence but, obviously, our 4 children don't have one yet!! I would prefer not to have to carry 6 passports with me and worry about them at the beach and on snorkelling excursions. Any advice or suggestions??

In your case perhaps the childrens birth certificates would suffice..

However, strongly suggest that you check with Homeland Security..Because if you miss the ship I don't know if the U.S. authorities will allow you to re-enter the U.S. just with their Birth certificates plus a photo-copy of their passports, if they are under-age..

If they will accept the Birth Certificates you should carry them in a water tight pouch..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I downloaded a post years ago by poster who signs into CC by the name of "Jody" ..She posted an eight part review about the time she & five others were on the "Golden Princess" in May 2003 on a private tour in Naples...They all missed the ship which left without them & went on to Athens.. It took several days for them to catch up to the ship, some did not have their passports which required a police letter & it cost them lots of $$$, which insurance covered..

Her post is quite interesting: Quote

Missing the ship

To read my 'missing the ship story' please see Part 6 of my cruise review titled "Med Review Barcelona to Venice." For those who are interested here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=162744

Unquote

Have excerpts from her post about passports & also the importance of having insurance.. I bold-ed the relevant sentences which I'm quoting out of sequence.. Her entire post it's long but still riveting...

Quote . Andrena was able to contact the ship via satellite and have our passports copied (after retrieving them from our safes) and faxed to Naples.

Nothing goes quickly in Italy. In the US we could have accomplished the same in less than an hour. It’s good to realize that in many places in Europe (Germany excluded) and the Caribbean, the people are on their own time schedule and there is nothing you can to do hurry them up.We had to stick together at this point, since the police wrote one letter for the entire group. We checked in quickly then had a decent dinner at etc etc Unquote

Her final post script read: Post Script:

If I didn't cover it earlier, I wanted to tell you that insurance did cover the full cost of our 'deviation expenses' when we missed the ship. There was a $500 pp limit and we ended up spending about $450 each. We send in copies of the relevant information and were paid quickly with no question. I definitely recommend insurance for big trips like European cruises. The other couples in our group used different insurance companies and had more trouble recouping their money, but I believe they succeeded in the end.

Also, it was interesting to note that Princess did not charge us the automatic tips for the days we were off the ship. That was nice of them. Princess was also very aware that we were ‘missing’ and they had emailed over 20 people in the company to keep people posted about the status of our situation.

Unquote

Jody is still a member of this board & perhaps she will see this thread..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Are you stopping in the States at all? Even to wait for a plane? It is my understanding you would also need a Visa when coming from the UK. That would also apply in Peurto Rico and St. Thomas, St.Croix, or St. John's.

Most tourists only need to get a Travel Authorisation from the ESTA program in order to travel to the USA. If they cannot get an authorisation then they will need to get an appropriate visa.

I will be staying overnight in FL pre cruise and flying into MIA using UK passports. Once on board I normally place passports into the safe where they stay until disembarking to fly home again.

We already have applied and been accepted for our ESTA visa waiver. On past cruises in both St Thomas and San Juan US Officials boarded the ships and checked all passports etc. we left the ship once able to do so with our cruise cards and a small card issued by US Officials.

I will copy passport details and I like the suggestion of emailing a copy but also a photo of the passport on my phone may be an idea also.

Once again thanks for all advice.

In your case perhaps the childrens birth certificates would suffice..

However, strongly suggest that you check with Homeland Security..Because if you miss the ship I don't know if the U.S. authorities will allow you to re-enter the U.S. just with their Birth certificates plus a photo-copy of their passports, if they are under-age..

If they will accept the Birth Certificates you should carry them in a water tight pouch..

Betty

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I will have to do some research. Thank goodness for this board...I wouldn't have thought of this before leaving for our cruise!

I will be staying overnight in FL pre cruise and flying into MIA using UK passports. Once on board I normally place passports into the safe where they stay until disembarking to fly home again.

We already have applied and been accepted for our ESTA visa waiver. On past cruises in both St Thomas and San Juan US Officials boarded the ships and checked all passports etc. we left the ship once able to do so with our cruise cards and a small card issued by US Officials.

I will copy passport details and I like the suggestion of emailing a copy but also a photo of the passport on my phone may be an idea also.

Once again thanks for all advice.

Popsi, I've just remembered something. HAL is the only cruiseline that has asked for additional photo ID at check-in, along with passports.

My companion was asked to wait to one side (along with 2 other Brits who had been waiting for around an hour!!). I didn't have any other photo ID either EXCEPT for a photocopy of my passport which, oddly, they accepted. Eventually, we were all allowed on board even those without additional ID.

No other cruiseline has ever asked for this so not sure why HAL does:cool:

Dave, i have been having trouble with emails not sending even though they indicate they have been sent. Did you receive the one I sent you in reply to yours?

Sorry about the off topic.

Sapper I replied to your e-mail this morning but it did not go through & was bounced back to me.. through..

Try again & perhaps I'll be able to get back to you..

In the meantime I thank you for your e-mail...

Also apologize to others for the off -topic..

Betty

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I will have to do some research. Thank goodness for this board...I wouldn't have thought of this before leaving for our cruise!

Thanks for asking this question as I had not thought if it either. But if photo Identification is required then I don't see how a birth certificate will work as there is no photo. We leave in less than 50 days and only have passports for our children with pictures. I was planning on scanning each passport and then having DH carry them electronically. Do you think this will work?

I'm with the group that believes in bringing our passports off the ship everywhere except for private islands. It is not just your re-admission ID at the end of the cruise, it is the only official identification you have in a foreign county. If you run afoul of the law somehow, not having one will really complicate things.

Just do a colour photocopy of your passport and laminate it (or not).:)
Some port officials consider a photocopy worthless because they are so easily faked by anyone with a little computer skill.

That is why we finally got the passport ID card to go with our regular passport. We just take that ashore along with our cruise card and we are set.
But the card won't let you fly home if your regular passport booklet is on the ship that left without you. On the cruises where the ships hold the passport for the whole cruise they will make a point to get it to the port agent if the ship has to leave you, but I'm not confident that would always happen if it is locked in my cabin safe. :eek: