Cruise Card & Photo ID

PopsiB

I have cruised in the Caribbean many times but always with UK based ships. Once we get our Cruise Card we do not need any other ID with us.

Our HAL paperwork states a photo ID issued by the government is also needed does anyone know how we obtain one of these. My only photo ID is a passport (don't want to take that off the ship). Or a UK travel card.

Has anyone been asked for a Photo ID at ports rather than a just Cruise Card.

Thanks

We were told to bring some government issued i.d. along with the cruise card every time we ported. I'm glad we did because several of the ports, when trying to get back, the local police or security requested to see both. St. Thomas and San Juan were the two stops that especially enforced this on our recent cruise.

We also have had our ID checked at Caribbean ports (as well as European ones). The requirement is a government-issued photo ID, but it does not mean issued by the U.S. federal government. Do you have a UK driver's license or other such ID that has your photo -- for example the UK travel card you mentioned? That should work just as well as my Virginia state driver's license does.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

We also have had our ID checked at Caribbean ports (as well as European ones). The requirement is a government-issued photo ID, but it does not mean issued by the U.S. federal government. Do you have a UK driver's license or other such ID that has your photo -- for example the UK travel card you mentioned? That should work just as well as my Virginia state driver's license does.

Dave

Dave, i have been having trouble with emails not sending even though they indicate they have been sent. Did you receive the one I sent you in reply to yours?

Sorry about the off topic.

We are almost always asked to show photo driver's license along with our ship's ID when we return to the dock in each port. Ship's security only scans the ship's ID but the port security asks for the government issued photo ID.

I have cruised in the Caribbean many times but always with UK based ships. Once we get our Cruise Card we do not need any other ID with us.

Our HAL paperwork states a photo ID issued by the government is also needed does anyone know how we obtain one of these. My only photo ID is a passport (don't want to take that off the ship). Or a UK travel card.

Thanks

You should be OK with your Travel card. My parents use their Welsh concessionary travel pass as Photo ID when cruising. They were even accepted as ID for crossing the border on the White Pass Railway excursion in Skagway when they forgot to take their passports!

Edited by bishop84

Thanks

Just do a colour photocopy of your passport and laminate it (or not).:)

Thanks

We carry our Passports with us at all times even in the Caribbean.. Would never leave the U.S. without our Passports..

If something happens to either one of us & we end up in the Hospital, or our Non-Hal tour is late & must fly back to the states, we will be required to re-enter the U.S. with a passport..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Just do a colour photocopy of your passport and laminate it (or not).:)

Another vote for a copy of your passport's ID page. We've used this method in the Caribbean several times. Never thought of laminating it though... :rolleyes:

There is an argument for having the real thing with you though as Betty mentions. Guess it depends on your level of risk taking. We've not an issue not having our real passports (yet!).

Edited by 0bnxshs

It might be interesting to know what sorts of activities the "We always carry our passports" passengers engage in ashore compared to those who only take them if required.

In our case, we normally take only our DLs, which fit easily into a small waterproof box that goes with us when we dive, snorkel, swim, sail, etc., along with a bit of cash, a credit card and our ship's cards. Passports won't fit, and larger boxes aren't nearly as manageable. As beach/water-related activities are our preference, carrying passports just doesn't work for us.

I suspect, but could be very much mistaken, that those who always carry their passports tend to enjoy pursuits ashore that enable them to more easily keep their passports with them and secure at all times.

Thoughts? Might there be a correlation?

I suspect, but could be very much mistaken, that those who always carry their passports tend to enjoy pursuits ashore that enable them to more easily keep their passports with them and secure at all times.

In my case that is true. I almost always have my passport on me and don't leave it lying around anywhere.

It might be interesting to know what sorts of activities the "We always carry our passports" passengers engage in ashore compared to those who only take them if required.

In our case, we normally take only our DLs, which fit easily into a small waterproof box that goes with us when we dive, snorkel, swim, sail, etc., along with a bit of cash, a credit card and our ship's cards. Passports won't fit, and larger boxes aren't nearly as manageable. As beach/water-related activities are our preference, carrying passports just doesn't work for us.

You have a valid point. Our passports are always tucked into a money belt under our clothes if we are required to carry them. I don't know what we would do if snorkling were to be involved. When we only need gov't picture ID our New Brunswick driver's licenses have always been sufficient.

We always carry our passports (in hidden pockets or pouches). But we stay dry! On occasion we have just used our driver's licences, but usually passports, sometimes two (we have dual nationality), as proof of age, for concessions in Europe.

You are correct..We normally don't do beaches on our cruises.. I lived on an Atlantic Ocean Beach up north before we were married & spent my summer weekends baking in the sun..:eek: Since then we've always lived on the water, had a pool, had a boat, & swam off the boat..Therefore we don't usually go to Caribbean beaches..

The next time we get into HMC, we might go for a quick swim & DH might walk the beach..Then we'll go back to the ship for lunch..In Grand Turk the ship docks right next to the beach & my Friend & I keep saying that one day we should go for a swim there, since the beach looks so inviting, but we've been there many times & never have..LOL:D:D

When I worked in the Intl Airline Field I was never without my passport when leaving the U.S. .We even carried it when we went to Alaska..BTW when we boated in the Bahamas, we carried our passports in waterproof cases, which can be purchased at Amazon for under $20.00..

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=passport+case+waterproof&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=40058518687&hvpos=1t4&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=686837741400481977&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7xpmyg7pso_b

Betty

Many Thanks for all your replies, I like the idea of photocopying and laminating the passport page.

We will take our UK Travel Cards as well just to be on the safe side.

Some varied points to consider Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We never leave the ship without passports. If there would be any kind of emergency that would keep us off the ship, the last thing that I want to be worried about is having to return to the ship to get the passports. We always travel with some sort of bag that we keep the passports in for safety.

Sent from my iPad

A friend shared his trick and I have been doing this now. He color copied his passport and folded it along with cash and keeps it in his money belt. I made one that really does not look like a money belt. Also put double pocket bags with an inside zipper in the jeans.

Quite often on the cruises we take with HAL all the passports are collected at the beginning of the cruise and not given back until the end of the cruise.

That is why we finally got the passport ID card to go with our regular passport. We just take that ashore along with our cruise card and we are set.

....we finally got the passport ID card to go with our regular passport. We just take that ashore along with our cruise card and we are set.

I absolutely agree with this and have been doing it for years.

Outside of N. America & the Caribbean, the card passport isn’t really accepted in lieu of a regular passport but it will serve as an ID and along with a photocopy of a regular passport will probably make flying back into the US, if necessary, a bunch easier.

I like that it is the same size as a credit card and my cabin key card, serves as a government issued photo ID and DOESN”T contain my home address. I’m also always concerned about losing my driver’s license and needing to drive home after the cruise.

Just a thought. YMMV.

Scott & Karen

We never leave the ship without passports. If there would be any kind of emergency that would keep us off the ship, the last thing that I want to be worried about is having to return to the ship to get the passports. We always travel with some sort of bag that we keep the passports in for safety.

Sent from my iPad

A friend shared his trick and I have been doing this now. He color copied his passport and folded it along with cash and keeps it in his money belt. I made one that really does not look like a money belt. Also put double pocket bags with an inside zipper in the jeans.

We never leave the US without our original passports.. It's not just in case we can't return to the ship, but also in case of an emergency at home & we must return to the US. immediately..

In order to fly back into the US, you must have a valid passport.. I believe this is still the case..Years ago a color photocopy of your passport or black & white was not acceptable & neither was the Passport card.. However, a photocopy does make it easier for the US. embassy to re-issue a passport, but it still might take precious time..

Betty