Recent Oceana Cruise

mika6617

Hi

Just returned from my third P&O cruise and was wondering what other people thought of P&O especially those of us who are in our forties.

I have cruised with other companies before such as Disney & RCI who I have found tend to cater for a much broader spectrum of ages not just the shall we say more mature among us.

Although my most recent cruise (Oceana) which was an 80's cruise (genre not age requirement) still tended to base its daytime entertainment around the older generation with things such towel folding demos, bingo and discussions about history etc... so much so that if its a sea day and the sun isn't shinning to sit around the pool and enjoy a drink or two, there is little to for us young forty somethings to do. A number of people are quite happy to sit and read their book day after day but that can be done at home. I would like to see P&O adapting their cruises to meet the ever changing face of cruise holidays similar to what some of the American lines offer because lets face it, as more and more people get into cruising from all ages bands surely they will have to enter the 21st century eventually. Its a big pity about the daytime as the evening theater style shows always tend to be very good and never disappoint.

Any comments would be great, especially from those of us who have traveled on other lines and not just the staunch P&O brigade.

Hi

Just returned from my third P&O cruise and was wondering what other people thought of P&O especially those of us who are in our forties.

I have cruised with other companies before such as Disney & RCI who I have found tend to cater for a much broader spectrum of ages not just the shall we say more mature among us.

Although my most recent cruise (Oceana) which was an 80's cruise (genre not age requirement) still tended to base its daytime entertainment around the older generation with things such towel folding demos, bingo and discussions about history etc... so much so that if its a sea day and the sun isn't shinning to sit around the pool and enjoy a drink or two, there is little to for us young forty somethings to do. A number of people are quite happy to sit and read their book day after day but that can be done at home. I would like to see P&O adapting their cruises to meet the ever changing face of cruise holidays similar to what some of the American lines offer because lets face it, as more and more people get into cruising from all ages bands surely they will have to enter the 21st century eventually. Its a big pity about the daytime as the evening theater style shows always tend to be very good and never disappoint.

Any comments would be great, especially from those of us who have traveled on other lines and not just the staunch P&O brigade.

Trying to restrict those who post on a subject is a bit like a red rag to a bull. Sorry not on.

I would fully agree that they should try and cater for all those on board. Sometimes they do tend to miss the mark. One one cruise with an average age of 75 they did have a 70's and 80's pop quiz which was great for the 4 who turned up.

I suspect however that they have found that the older cruisers join in a with things and the younger ones not so much.

It's all very well saying they should enter the 21 st century but if the vast majority of cruisers are well over 60 it is a bit pointless.

But back to you, what kind of activities do you want? Be constructive and put forward suggestions don't just carp about the lack of facilities for the younger crowd.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

To be honest we make our own entertainment during the sea days, I think we have been to one guest speaker but never attend anything else

We don't sit around all day reading either, we play board games and cards, we seem to be able to fill our day somehow in between all the eating and drinking

On Azura they had plenty of quizzes etc. in Brodie's but I really dislike that venue, too much like a rowdy pub for my liking

On our cruise on the Oriana in early May, there was so much on during the day to suit all ages - films, exercise classes, dancing, games, talks, quizes as well as all the spa and gym and fitness activities. It was hard to fit in the time to read my book - which I also like doing incidentally!

Edited by Scriv

Apparently the average age of cruisers has increased by a year over the last year or so. This must be down to the younger ones being hit more by the recession. P&O IMO are too reliant on the boring old quizzes, easy to do and it keeps the old folks quiet between meals. Of course we have a possible negative feedback here. Younger cruisers sample P&O and come away with the impression of 'what a load of boring old f**ts". so they try another cruise line with a more party atmosphere.. What happens when those oldies pop off?

Carnival is a fun young cruise line. What sea day entertainment do they offer?

Maybe it is down to the passengers. i have found P&O deck parties pretty dire and once there were more entertainers than passengers. Those silly flags put a lot of people off as well.

Board games, cards etc...say no more and regarding other responses, I'm not going to get much from those who cruise with no-one other than P&O.

It doesn't have to be party time all day and night Ref: Carnival but something in-between.????

Apparently the average age of cruisers has increased by a year over the last year or so. This must be down to the younger ones being hit more by the recession. P&O IMO are too reliant on the boring old quizzes, easy to do and it keeps the old folks quiet between meals. Of course we have a possible negative feedback here. Younger cruisers sample P&O and come away with the impression of 'what a load of boring old f**ts". so they try another cruise line with a more party atmosphere.. What happens when those oldies pop off?

Carnival is a fun young cruise line. What sea day entertainment do they offer?

Maybe it is down to the passengers. i have found P&O deck parties pretty dire and once there were more entertainers than passengers. Those silly flags put a lot of people off as well.

Oh yes the flag waving brigade, I say brigade all two of them! The "entertainment" crew trying to gee people up on the sail-a-way's, the words straws and clutching come to mind. As for the oldies pop off bit, your bang on with that one.

Edited by mika6617

Well I am mid 40s and to a degree agree about the limited entertainment on sea days.

I did sit on deck reading my kindle, yes even on Friday and Saturday crossing the Bay - that was me!

I love quizzes but didn't manage to get into any as there was never a seat when I arrived. On previous cruises have enjoyed them and done pretty well.

I watched one film in the theatre - would have been 2 but I couldn't get into one of them. Oh and one on the TV in my cabin.

I like to play shuffleboard and tabletennis. I always walked my mile around the prom deck - that takes me a while due to limited mobility.

I don't like karaoke although a choir might be fun, dancing is a no no now, how about cooking demonstration akin to cant cook won't cook - have seen that before.

The Entertainment team were conspicuous by their absence during the day I must admit.

We never get a chance to just sit and relax so enjoyed just that.

In the past the guest speakers have interested me, it's just your luck though. Given the 80's theme they could possibly have arranged another speaker related to the that.

I have seen a Q&A with Headliners - that was interesting.

I really don't know what else I would suggest for bad weather sea days, perhaps choose a cruise where there hopefully won't be any (I know I know I'm saying that tongue in cheek, I realise some people prefer or need to sail out of Southampton)- we are cruising out of Barcelona next year so avoiding the sea days through the Bay.

What do other cruise lines do?

Perhaps I'm unusual but entertainment is to me the least important aspect of a cruise, especially during the day. I am quite happy to have a couple of drinks, chat to my fellow passengers, read my book and listen to my iPod. I cruise to travel not to be entertained.

Board games, cards etc...say no more and regarding other responses, I'm not going to get much from those who cruise with no-one other than P&O.

It doesn't have to be party time all day and night Ref: Carnival but something in-between.????

Lol you are funny

I have sailed on Celebrity and didn't find any entertainment during the day on there either, what sort of things are you hoping for ?

Maybe if there was something of interest to me I would participate, but there isn't so cards and boards games passes a few hours, actually it was a good game called sequence, I can recommend it :D

Edited by rubydoobydoo

Oh yes the flag waving brigade, I say brigade all two of them! The "entertainment" crew trying to gee people up on the sail-a-way's, the words straws and clutching come to mind. As for the oldies pop off bit, your bang on with that one.

No sailaways or any deck parties at all on our Celebrity cruise in May, they did have the hot glass show :p

I must admit i like guest speakers e.g. the guy who worked on Concorde, the Military boff who spoke about the first world war, a guy who worked for MI5 and on one cruise we had 5 speakers talking about Nelson. I'm sure there is a database of available guest speakers somewhere online. Gordon Parr (who i sailed with some years ago) started it. On our last cruise on Aurora to the U.S.A. I only recall 2 guest speakers in 25 days. I understand they don't get paid, they just have a free cruise, so it shouldn't break the bank to get more onboard.

Hi

I thought this cruise was very good the 80s acts were excellent except Paul Young who was awful

I see that he had 180 people request refunds from a concert he did on returning to the uk

I think coming up with ideas on daytime activities is very difficult and all lines struggle with it

I am not sure what sort of entertainment people expect during the day, from what I have seen there is usually something for everyone

I just prefer to chill and relax and make my own entertainment if that makes me boring so be it, I just enjoy the company of my husband, it is nice be able to spend time together away from our busy lives at home but I do get twitchy after a few sea days and I can't wait to set foot on land and explore something new

You just can't please everyone :rolleyes:

Reading all the comments from mika6617 on this and other threads I am coming to the conclusion that he/she isn't quite ready to get the best out of a cruise holiday. It would be interesting to know what other types of holidays he/she enjoys.

Not really getting the "not ready to get the best out of a cruise holiday" bit. Is it a frame of mind? Having cruised with RCI and Disney I would say that cruise holidays suit me just fine but good ones though of course. Ones which provide excellent service, tasty food and quality entertainment. Yes I think I I'm pretty well into "cruise holidays"

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Edited by mika6617