Power Strip

Bea3

Swear I saw power strips were allowed- then have read they have been confiscated- what is the official policy on power strips. I have checked the carnival website and cannot find the answer there.

Edited by Bea3

Power strips are allowed.... except when they are not allowed. :D

They are allowed unless the people who check your bag dont like the way they look, then they can confiscate it (if they feel its a safety hazard). it can be new, old or anything in between. Its up to carnival check in. Most of the time its fine but there is no garauntees

Swear I saw power strips were allowed- then have read they have been confiscated-

what is the official policy on power strips.

I have checked the carnival website and cannot find the answer there.

Hi Bea :)

Carnivals official answer is located at: (click on link below)

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?faq=RESTRICTED+ITEMS

It basically says:

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors,

and extension cords are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

However, if such devises are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed

and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

That being said, I use this type of device (below photo)

powerstrip_zpsa6dfd261.jpg

:)

Edited by PortSideCruzan

Hi Bea :)

Carnivals official answer is located at: (click on link below)

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?faq=RESTRICTED+ITEMS

It basically says:

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors,

and extension cords are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

However, if such devises are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed

and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

That being said, I use this type of device (below photo)

powerstrip_zpsa6dfd261.jpg

:)

Like:)

Technically they are not allowed, but usually no problem. I found that they like the "travel surge protector" and it takes up a lot less room in the luggage. I got mine for about $12 at Staples, probably cheaper on Amazon. If you get one, make sure it has a movable prong. If it doesn't rotate, it will face the wrong way on the Carnival socket---and you won't be able to use it--you could buy similar ones in a dollar store, but the prongs don't rotate. This has 3 electrical outlets and 2 usb charging outlets.

zivk.png

Technically they are not allowed, but usually no problem. I found that they like the "travel surge protector" and it takes up a lot less room in the luggage. I got mine for about $12 at Staples, probably cheaper on Amazon. If you get one, make sure it has a movable prong. If it doesn't rotate, it will face the wrong way on the Carnival socket---and you won't be able to use it--you could buy similar ones in a dollar store, but the prongs don't rotate. This has 3 electrical outlets and 2 usb charging outlets.

zivk.png

I just ordered the same on from Amazon for $10.18. Thanks for the tip!

zivk.png

I have the same one - have taken it on at least the last 4 or 5 cruises with no problem. I don't leave it plugged in when I'm out of the room, tho.

I have taken a power strip on all of my cruises and never had a problem. When I started seeing posts here that people had them confiscated, I started carrying the power strip in the case for my CPAP. Never had anyone question it.;)

Swear I saw power strips were allowed- then have read they have been confiscated- what is the official policy on power strips. I have checked the carnival website and cannot find the answer there.

Allowed or not (LOL) power strips are a must for any seasoned cruiser! Except for our first cruise (where we were clueless) we have it listed near the top of our packing list.

Just take one with you that is store bought and has the normal safety agency (UL) stamp on it (located near the nameplate with the model number) and you will not have an issue.

There are not a lot of receptacles in most cabins, but plugging your power strip into a standard one that's properly rated for the electrical current it is designed for, you present no safety issues art all.

Have a great cruise!!!

Just returned from the Dream ~ I had a power strip in my checked luggage and an extension cord in my carry on (forgot it was even in there from last vacation) no problem with either. I think I'm going to order one of the Travel Surge Protectors" from Amazon...I like that it's small and has the USB ports!!

We bring one every cruise, never confiscated.

Just returned from B2B on the Paradise. Larry has a sleep machine & we both have scooters.

They took my new power strip, when I threw a bloody fit they gave me one of theirs & I swear the first one had a bare wire threw a fit & they gave me another one with three out lets.

The kicker was when I went to pick up my power cord the last mornin' they said sorry you should have come last week we got rid of it. ( B2B ) my fault should have read the paper instead of ripping it up in a fit of anger.

Live & learn. It was in our checked bag as we can't carry anything on. Had the charger to the scooters & sleep machine in the same case.:confused:

Ok. Dumb question. What do you use the power strip for? Been on 3 cruises and never needed one. We put our cell phones in the safe, so those are off. We do charge them once we are at home port. My hair straightner gets used daily but i use the regular outlet. Periodically my boys will charge their DS games. They only play while I am getting ready for dinner or we are napping/resting. What am I missing? I feel like I should "need" a power strip since so many people use them lol.

Ok. Dumb question. What do you use the power strip for? Been on 3 cruises and never needed one. We put our cell phones in the safe, so those are off. We do charge them once we are at home port. My hair straightner gets used daily but i use the regular outlet. Periodically my boys will charge their DS games. They only play while I am getting ready for dinner or we are napping/resting. What am I missing? I feel like I should "need" a power strip since so many people use them lol.

If you don't need it - you don't need it. I rarely charge more than one thing at a time. But I do have the power strip in case I need it.

people have laptops. they use phones as cameras that need charging, rechargeable batteries need charging for regular cameras, Gameboys (for children), Tablet (for reading) needs charging... etc

people have laptops. they use phones as cameras that need charging, rechargeable batteries need charging for regular cameras, Gameboys (for children), Tablet (for reading) needs charging... etc

In addition to these things listed that people may need to charge, I also have a Nook for reading, we plugged a fan in we got from our steward, I was traveling with a friend who had a different plug on her cell phone than I did on mine (she used hers for pictures and I have a camera that needs to be charged) I do not use my phone for pictures, however I do take it into port to make calls and send texts. I say if you don't need it, that's great but it's good to have along just in case...that's why I like the travel one shown in this thread, small and easy to transport to have in case I need it.

Like:)

I just got the same one in today that I ordered from Amazon.....the one we had been using for years was the one that was in the back pack my husband left on the shuttle in May from the ship back to the hotel. I figured I would need one next week and then again in May.

+1

Our Belkin SurgePlus Charger has flown & cruise in excess of 250,000 miles via air, land & sea in the past 7+ years. The original model like ours is rated at 1 AMP in total output for its dual usb charging port - good for almost all smartphone but not tablets including the iPads x and Nexus 7 or 10's.

Keep in mind that it has a $75,000 connected equipment warranty for any damages when properly used as intended.

The newest model is identical except that its dual USB ports are rated at 2.1 AMP so it is good for tablets, it's priced higher but a worthwhile small investment, in keeping your travel gadgets light & easy to pack.

There is a small "white" button on the backside of the cube, where the 3-prong blades are, hold it down & it will rotate 360 degree and lock into 1 of 4 position against the wall outlet - it is tight at first.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-BST300/

SDC10354-Belkin%20Power%20Adapter.JPG

Bonus tip - pick up a mini usb-powered LED light & you have a desk height night light in the dark cabin, got a flexible gooseneck one @ our local Microcenter for $3 (or on eBay) - which plug into the netbook/laptop for air travel in a dark cabin.

Related note, I take and use the Belkin power strip when I cruise (or go to hotels) because we don't know if we'll need it or not. We just got back from cruising on the Sunshine in Europe, and the Belkin actually was flagged by Italian security before boarding in Venice as possibly being a knife due to the shape of it. They showed me the xray image of my bag, and I will admit it looked suspicious on their screen. It could have caught their attention because the people right in front of us did try to get some sharp knives and sharp scissors on board and had those confiscated.

I don't think we have ever plugged anything in on a cruise? Are there not enough outlets in a room? I can see someone wanting a fan, or maybe a type of camera that needs charging? Computer seems silly since they have some to use in the library, so why haul your own and stay in the room? What are people charging or plugging in? I seriously cannot think of one thing my wife and I have ever plugged in on a cruise????

My thoughts exactly. I like being "unplugged" while on vacation. :D

Being nosy here...but I'd love to see a pic of that mini LED light if you have it, lol.

We plug all types of things in...cell phones when used for pics or alarms, laptops or tablets, definitely my Nook, hair straightener, hand held video games, etc. We always take a power strip of some sort with us, never have had a problem yet. The one posted in this thread surely looks interesting tho.