How much vibration is aft/mid aft on Emerald

edgee

We are considering a Deck 11 or 12 balcony cabin on Emerald Princess. Available cabins in our price range tend to be toward the back of the ship. Although we have not been on Princess for several years, on other cruise lines wewe usually try and pick cabins forward because being forward of engines tends to mean less vibreation although this issue varies depending on the ship design. On some ships it matters (eg. Celebrity Milenium class ships) and on others there is very little vibration toward rear of ship (eg. Queen Mary 2, or Celebrity Solstice class ships). Would appreciate any information about the degree of vibration felt in hallways or cabins in rear or midway to rear in Emerald Princess and others in its class (eg. Ruby, Caribbean, Crown) compared to being forward where usually less vibration is felt.

Just off the Emerald...felt no vibration at all, except when docking and using the thrusters...and we were even lower, Emerald deck 8....mid area.

I think the higher you go, the less vibration you feel..but with rough seas the more movement you feel...just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your choice...

Decks 11 and 12 will have very little vibration from any source whether you're forward, mid or aft.

There are three sources of vibration on a ship: propellers, stabilizers and thrusters.

Princess propellers are fixed as opposed to some Celebrity, HAL and other cruise line ships which have Azipod propellers. Azipods are propellers on pods on the bottom of the ship which offer greater maneuverability than fixed shaft propellers. However, they are prone to vibration and maintenance/repairs require a dry dock. Celebrity has had a lot of problems and currently, the Allure is experiencing problems.

Stabilizers are located just aft of mid-ship and deployed in seas to reduce side-to-side motion. You can feel and hear a shuddering mid-ship in certain conditions.

Thrusters are located forward and aft and are used to maneuver the ship when entering and leaving port. You'll hear and feel vibration both forward and aft when the thrusters are being used.

Edited by Pam in CA

We were deck 10 aft on the Emerald the last 2 years.

ZERO vibration. The only exception was when we were docking and the thrusters were in use. That's when our cabin felt like a vibrating bed in a cheap hotel room.

Enjoy your cruise.

-Andrew :)

I tend to book aft cabins on these ships. I've sailed twice on the Crown and once on the Ruby. The only time I had any issues was when I had an aft facing cabin on the Crown. There was substantial jerking in rough seas, but no vibration that I recall. When I was closer to the aft elevators I had no issues at all. I never noticed any vibration mid-ship. Of course, as others have said, there will be some when docking, but nothing much.