Dining room with baby

pepsiwoman4711

We cruise next week and our baby will break the 6 month rule by about 5 days. He's not a totally unsupported sitter yet, and we haven't tried a highchair yet. I'm not sure how he'll do with that. Any suggestions for dining room seating with him? As a side note, we will be bringing our Chicco umbrella type stroller. Should we consider bringing his infant carrier so he could sit in that in the dining room?

I hope you mean that he will be 5 days older than 6 months---not 5 days less than 6 months as age rules are strictly followed by the cruise lines. I would take the carrier just in case. That will give you another option for keeping him happy/comfortable. It's hard to tell what will work from one minute to the next with little ones.

Bring his stroller, and leave him in it....most likely, he'll nap. A carrier is fine, too. No worries. The dining room is very child friendly. At 6 mos., a highchair probably isn't a good option!

Edited by cb at sea

Yes he's just a few days past the deadline. We are fine on that. Someone gave me the idea today to use one of those attachable chairs that actually attaches to the table. I've never used one but I'm told they travel easily and that might be an option. Anyone have experience with this?

I'm worried the stroller might be a problem in the dining room because it would take up too much room. It's possible with a high chair we can bring our high chair cover an use a blanket to tuck around the sides for support. He's a great sleeper at night so his naps are limited during the day. It's likely he will be awake at 6 for dinner.

No problem with the stroller in the dining room - at least on NCL there was always plenty of room. Those attachable things are awkward - and are very dependent on exactly the type of table you are attaching it to. Also, I am guessing it would be very uncomfortable for a 6 month old - so support/doesn't recline, etc.

If he's good with the carrier, I would bring that. They can flip over the high chair and rest the carrier on it. I used a seat that attached at a table, but only after he was sitting on his own (like this: http://www.target.com/p/inglesina-fast-table-chair-ibisco-red/-/A-13960175?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|13960175&CPNG=Baby&kpid=13960175&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13960175&gclid=CIeVgPqk3boCFU7ZQgod52kA1g)

If you can, you might try a SpaceSaver high chair. They actually attach to the dining room chair and can recline a bit. I would try it out with him first at home to make sure he can sit well in it, though. http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Space-Saver-Chair-Scatterbug/dp/B002OOWAK8

We cruise next week and our baby will break the 6 month rule by about 5 days. He's not a totally unsupported sitter yet, and we haven't tried a highchair yet. I'm not sure how he'll do with that. Any suggestions for dining room seating with him? As a side note, we will be bringing our Chicco umbrella type stroller. Should we consider bringing his infant carrier so he could sit in that in the dining room?

I did bring an infant carrier for the dining room. And I wedged the carrier on a seat against the table. And then when she got sleepy - she could sleep.

But I guess a stroller would do the same job :)

The one's that attach to the table would be no good because they provide no support. Besides the stroller or carrier, the closest thing that might suit your needs might be something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable-Baby-Kid-Toddler-Feeding-High-Chair-Booster-Seat-Cover-Harness-Cushion-/261107503653?var=560160499896&_trksid=p2054897.l4276 because it has the over arm supports too, but even then it still might not be sufficient for him.

Sounds like from other experienced cruisers that you'll have no trouble with the stroller, plus if he falls asleep he'll be easier to transport back to the room without disturbing.

Mia has it right - go to the MDR upon check in and check your table assignment and make certain it is in a stroller friendly spot. If you are sharing a table with other pax, be certain to be there early on the first evening so that others are not there and already settled into spots leaving you a main aisleway -- (which you would then have toblock with the stroller! :) )

Happy cruising!

Edited by Onessa

My child first cruised at 6 months 1 day.

At meals we requested a booth so he could spread out. He could sit in a high chair, but we "padded" it with a blanket to be safe.

Several meals we also had him in his stroller(where he often fell asleep)

Here he is on formal night :)

1964040735_MexicanCruise2012234.jpg.b3b9696c1acd394ec416b98eccafa39b.jpg

Edited by Lerin

Sorry for the daft question, what is the 6 mth rule ? We have booked to take our 5mth old on a Disney cruise in January and am now a little anxious having just read about these rules.

On many lines a baby has to be 6 months to cruise. Disney is 12 weeks, don't worry.

I don't have a picture, but the high chairs are a light grey plastic and have a removable tray.

Thanks! I was wondering mostly if they had a tray or if it just slide up to the table. I prefer a tray. That's great, thanks for the information!

In my experience, you just need to ask for a tray and they can produce one pretty quickly. That is easy enough in the MDR...a little tougher at the buffet.

We asked for a tray the second night in the MDR and after that, it was always waiting for us when we got there.

• 2 weeks later...

The attachable chairs aren't much different than the dinning room high chairs and it is just more stuff to bring and you will already have sooooo much to bring. That being said we stuffed a towel around our son to help support him when he wasn't as good of a sitter. And because he is so small we put my purse behind him now in restaurants, etc. he will be 6 months on Friday.

No problem with the stroller in the dining room - at least on NCL there was always plenty of room. Those attachable things are awkward - and are very dependent on exactly the type of table you are attaching it to. Also, I am guessing it would be very uncomfortable for a 6 month old - so support/doesn't recline, etc.

On NCL, Carnival and Disney I've always seen the strollers parked, never in the dining room.

You may want to call and check if the stroller will be allowed in the room.

You can always do room service or order and take back to room (I know NCL allowed dh to take my meal back to me when I had to leave).

On NCL, Carnival and Disney I've always seen the strollers parked, never in the dining room.

You may want to call and check if the stroller will be allowed in the room.

I brought my stroller into the dining room on Carnival many times (and Princess). Pushed up to the table/against a wall so out of the way of the waiters.

Best,

Mia