Welcome Captain Vilarinho

Andy

Hello Everyone,

Please join me in welcoming Captain Jose Vilarinho to Azamara, and to Quest. My thanks to Bill Leiber & Azamara, for providing his introduction. Enjoy !

==================================================

Azamara Club Cruises

Introducing Master José Vilarinho

You could say that José Vilarinho knows Azamara Club Cruises inside and out. Not only as ship Master, but as part of the original team that oversaw construction of Azamara’s two ships.

Raised in Aveiro, Portugal, José began working in his family’s cod fishing business at a young age and became acquainted with all aspects of boating. He wanted a life at sea, but after completing nautical school in Lisbon discovered that working on a fishing trawler was very different from what he’d imagined. Over the next decade, his career led to increasing responsibilities on cargo ships, tankers, and eventually cruise ships where he found his true calling. “I love new places and people. For me there’s nothing better than being on a cruise ship where you get to enjoy both,” he says.

José worked with several cruise companies, then joined Renaissance in 1999 as it launched construction of eight new ships including two that now carry the Azamara name. From there, he worked as Master for several cruise companies including AIDA Cruises/Carnival in the UK. When a position with Azamara Club Cruises came along, he didn’t hesitate. “These ships are just the right size,” he says. “Not too big and not too small.”

José still calls Aveiro home, and in his free time he loves to mountain bike, jog, garden and enjoy his quiet town. “I consider myself a very lucky guy, doing what I love. I’ve worked on fishing trawlers, tankers, cargo ships and huge cruise ships, and this is the best of all.”

Andy,

Thanks for posting. Hopefully, we will get to meet him on our B2B December 20th and 28th. :)

Hi Ed,

As you are sailing on Quest, I'm virtually certain you will meet him, as he's scheduled to be Quest's Captain for those sailings. Have a wonderful cruise, and enjoy the waffles !

Hi Ed,

As you are sailing on Quest, I'm virtually certain you will meet him, as he's scheduled to be Quest's Captain for those sailings. Have a wonderful cruise, and enjoy the waffles !

Thanks. I will. ;)

I met Captain Jose yesterday. He's onboard with his wife and 2 year old daughter. His daughter was dancing up a storm (as only a 2 year old can) at the White Nights party. Although we exchanged only a few words, I understand that he's made a very favorable impression with the staff and he should be a good fit on the Quest. The people boarding tomorrow here in Seville will have more of a chance to get to know him because he boarded late in this cruise.

His first name is pronounced ZHO ZAY, no HO ZAY.;)

We will probably meet Jose next summer. Looking forward to meeting him. And Jose in Portuguese is pronounced differently than in Spanish. The J is not silent. Correct pronunciation is " yoh seh".:)

Captain Carl pronounces it as tgg wrote and every foreign language pronunciation web site I've found agrees. The J has a zh sound.

Captain Carl pronounces it as tgg wrote and every foreign language pronunciation web site I've found agrees. The J has a zh sound.

Well it's an in-between pronounciation between zh and the yo. Surely not as vision and beige, but a little softer. When it comes to the "ay" it is simply not correct. (That is more the english way of speaking it.)

So if we agree the most correct phonetic solution would be " zho-seh":)

PS #1

When I visited the Hugel winery in Alsace I asked Etienne Hugel how to pronounce "Hugel" right. He said: "Never mind how you pronounce it as long as you drink it":D

PS #2

Everybody pronounces Johannes Tysse's last name completely wrong all the time. He doesn't mind and I think he has given up making corrections.:)

Edited by oddjob16

Well it's an in-between pronounciation between zh and the yo. Surely not as vision and beige, but a little softer. When it comes to the "ay" it is simply not correct. (That is more the english way of speaking it.)

So if we agree the most correct phonetic solution would be " zho-seh":)

PS #1

When I visited the Hugel winery in Alsace I asked Etienne Hugel how to pronounce "Hugel" right. He said: "Never mind how you pronounce it as long as you drink it":D

PS #2

Everybody pronounces Johannes Tysse's last name completely wrong all the time. He doesn't mind and I think he has given up making corrections.:)

How do you pronounce his last name? I'm really hoping Captain Johannes is on our future cruises.

Hello Everyone,

Please join me in welcoming Captain Jose Vilarinho to Azamara, and to Quest. My thanks to Bill Leiber & Azamara, for providing his introduction. Enjoy !

==================================================

Azamara Club Cruises

Introducing Master José Vilarinho

You could say that José Vilarinho knows Azamara Club Cruises inside and out. Not only as ship Master, but as part of the original team that oversaw construction of Azamara’s two ships.

Raised in Aveiro, Portugal, José began working in his family’s cod fishing business at a young age and became acquainted with all aspects of boating. He wanted a life at sea, but after completing nautical school in Lisbon discovered that working on a fishing trawler was very different from what he’d imagined. Over the next decade, his career led to increasing responsibilities on cargo ships, tankers, and eventually cruise ships where he found his true calling. “I love new places and people. For me there’s nothing better than being on a cruise ship where you get to enjoy both,” he says.

José worked with several cruise companies, then joined Renaissance in 1999 as it launched construction of eight new ships including two that now carry the Azamara name. From there, he worked as Master for several cruise companies including AIDA Cruises/Carnival in the UK. When a position with Azamara Club Cruises came along, he didn’t hesitate. “These ships are just the right size,” he says. “Not too big and not too small.”

José still calls Aveiro home, and in his free time he loves to mountain bike, jog, garden and enjoy his quiet town. “I consider myself a very lucky guy, doing what I love. I’ve worked on fishing trawlers, tankers, cargo ships and huge cruise ships, and this is the best of all.”

My husband and I are looking forward to meeting Captain Jose in five weeks during our Christmas cruise! Thanks Andy for posting his bio for us. He sounds like such an interesting man.

How do you pronounce his last name? I'm really hoping Captain Johannes is on our future cruises.

I will be on his ship in a couple weeks. I will just call him Captain unless he is introduced or offers his name. I like the Captain Carl, Captain Johannes familiarity too.

Mostly I hear Johannes last name pronounced as "tai-see"

The first part should shorter, -more like "typical" or as you say fifty and second part without the long "ee"

I can try descibe it phonetically as : "Tiːseh"

I knew I liked calling him "Johannes" for a reason ;) To be fair I don't think I have ever heard him say his surname. It's always Captain Johannes or "your designated driver". He's a great guy.

Phil

:)Couldn't agree more. He is more than happy to be called Johannes. Enough about the spelling. Looking forward to meet Jose on our next cruise. I have great expectations. He seems like a genuine Azamara skipper;)