San Diego parking for cruisers

ebtrip

I returned from our Hawaii 15 day cruise. We parked at the San Diego Airport Parking, for the 15 days.. When we picked the car up we noticed paint spots on the door and a dent, probably caused by the car parked next to us.. After bringing the damage to the attention of the person on duty, I filed a report and they took pictures, I was told they would contact us in 72 hours and take care of the situation. After a week no one contacted us, we called and were advised that we would be contact in the next few days. Again, after a week we called them again, we finally contact Lisa, of customer service rep., and was told there was nothing they would do.. I strongly advise anyone who has a NICE car, do not park at sdap.

I'm sorry you came back from your trip to a damaged car.

Not a nice way to end a vacation, however, can you imagine if everyone filed a claim for a ding or scratch on their door after parking in a lot? They would go out of business.

I think all policies are the same, they are not responsible for theft and/or damage to the vehicle.

Sorry that happened. I'm not a legal expert and someone who is should correct or expand on my comments. Money to the parking company in exchange for parking creates a "bailment" where both parties benefit. Despite waivers and disclaimers, they must exercise "reasonable care" to protect your car. Therein lies the rub....it's frankly reasonable to get door dings at any parking lot, such as your local Home Depot, and the conduct of other car owners is out of the parking lot owner's control. If your car was parked by valet (vs. self-parking), you have a better case. There's a weaker case if the individual parking spaces are unusually narrow.

Any idea what caused the paint spots? "Reasonable care" applies again. If the parking lot had painting contractors at work you may have a case...even though it's a contractor they hired, it's the lot's responsibility. But if something happened in the area that spotted hundreds of cars, "stuff happens".

Lastly, what are your actual damages? I can see $75-100 to take care of a typical door ding. Removing the spots could range from a rinse with the garden hose to thousands to get the car repainted.

I have no connection to any parking service...but in fairness, could the same thing have happened at your local supermarket? If so, it's not reasonable to single out the lot you happened to be parked at. Hope I don't sound unsympathetic, because it must be disappointing.

That lot is notorious for problems with customer service. I stopped using them some time ago due to this. They valet park when it is crowded, and I have watched them nearly hit other cars when moving them to accommodate getting cars in and out of spots. They are usually the cheapest off-site airport lot too...in this case, you get what you pay for.